R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default buggy cleaning?

Hey guy's, had a bit of a mud race yesterday with the new buggy and it got covered! Ive begun cleaning today, cleaned the shell and wheels/tyres with hot soapy water, removed radio tray and engine. Brushed dry mud off engine as best i could then covered in gt85 (simular to wd-40), same goes for the radio tray. I washed the rest off with hot soapy water and dirt bike cleaner then rinsed. Covered that in gt-85 then used compressor across it.

Would you guy's consider this the best option or not? Should i proceed to strip the car down and check all bearings and parts etc or is it not neccessary everytime? -Hugh
hugh_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I would definitly check your hub bearings at a minimum. I found alot of moisture there that just never goes away. Also try lemon pledge instead of wd-40. It is incredible. Works better than wd40 IMO and instead of attracting dirt it repels it. Plus it doesn't make your buggy look like you dipped it in oil.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i would disassemble and check things out.. mud racing is hard on bearing and bushings.. also check all of your hingepins and make sure they are moving freely
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Tech Regular

yep hugh,

i was there with you i believe you had the yellow d8, defo strip it down buddy, i done the 2 finals yesterday after poor qualifiers after the a main my car was solid.

i have jet washed and gt85'd it for now, but over the next few days the diffs will be coming out, the bearings in the front and rear hubs will be coming out also has mentioned check the pins and the arms they may need reaming to free them up.

its worth doing it buddy otherwise it will bite you in the butt later !!
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

ok cool, will do! yeah i had the d8! Is it worth stripping the diffs down and replacing the oils, can't remember if i have to anyway to get to some of the bearings
Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just rebuild the whole car matey. Atleast you'll know everything has been checked and anything dodgy replaced
Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

ok cool, just checked to remind myself and diffs will need to be stripped anyway so full overhaul it is, no doubt it's worth it as it will only cost a little in oils. With regards to shocks should they be re-built aswell or should they be ok?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rebuild, mud gets everywhere and has probably messed with the o-rings and if so has 'contaminated' the shock oil...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

after a mud race i let the car sit a bit then tap off the big chunks of mud with a screw driver handle on the bottom of the chassis. take off motor and radio tray then hose down the whole car. good foamy coat of simple green thenlet it sit a few minutes. hose it down again with good pressure in the noocks and crannies. air compressor it dry then squirt wd-40 or aro in the exposed bearings and ito the diff housing through the outdrives. wipe the car down with a damp wd-40 rag then compressor some more. should look new. the motor i remove filter and pipe and cap both off, spray with naphta then brush and compressor. wd-40 then compressor again. radio tray gets thin coat of simple green, brush, rag then compressor. theres a total of 12 exposed beaings (most buggies) and 6 hidden bearings so make sure they all get some sort of rust protection always, even after dry races cause some tracks use calcium and it attracts moisture.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
after a mud race i let the car sit a bit then tap off the big chunks of mud with a screw driver handle on the bottom of the chassis. take off motor and radio tray then hose down the whole car. good foamy coat of simple green thenlet it sit a few minutes. hose it down again with good pressure in the noocks and crannies. air compressor it dry then squirt wd-40 or aro in the exposed bearings and ito the diff housing through the outdrives. wipe the car down with a damp wd-40 rag then compressor some more. should look new. the motor i remove filter and pipe and cap both off, spray with naphta then brush and compressor. wd-40 then compressor again. radio tray gets thin coat of simple green, brush, rag then compressor. theres a total of 12 exposed beaings (most buggies) and 6 hidden bearings so make sure they all get some sort of rust protection always, even after dry races cause some tracks use calcium and it attracts moisture.
This is almost my cleaning procedure to the tee and never any rusted bearings or metal parts. Been doing this for 7 years now with great results.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Tech Regular

After a mud race I break the entire car down to the diffs and lather everything with simple green and then pressure wash with a puenmatic engine cleaner gun. The mud just falls out no matter how caked on. I then use a RPM bearing cleaner and spray WD-40 on the kingpin and diff bearings to get any remaining grit out. As a anal retentive measure against moisture build up, after cleaning I run the buggy for a few high speed laps on pavement to burn any remaining moisture in the bearings and it circulates the WD-40.

Every third race I break down the diffs and shocks and check the gears and replace the fluids.
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I dont race if its muddy, saves a lot of time and effort cleaning up!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post

We would never race in england if we lived by that rule!!
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
I hear you on this!
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote