R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
The S3 is more for small tracks but for a few $ more the S5 will be a great engine for medium to big tracks .
So would the S3 be good for thunder alley? Remember Im on a budget...

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I have no idea what the size of that track is . Ask a few that have been there .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
I have no idea what the size of that track is . Ask a few that have been there .
I linked a picture to it.

Again, Thunder Alley RC Raceway

It is on the home page. You just have to scroll down halfway down the page. Although that is not the current layout, that is the size. They have some videos of the current layout on youtube. Search thunder alley raceway 2008. (Sidewinder race)

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Your best bet is to go to that track on a club race day and find out what the other guys are running. Ask questions, this will help you decide what you should buy.

To be candid, if you only want to spend $500, I suggest you save a little longer. If you can't afford it at the outset, then you might not be ready to run 1/8 scale... It's simply an expensive class and a $500 budget isn't going to get you much, except for a bunch of headaches.

If you insist on that budget, search for a used one. There are deals to be had on used rollers but be careful, ask lots of questions and get pictures.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
Your best bet is to go to that track on a club race day and find out what the other guys are running. Ask questions, this will help you decide what you should buy.

To be candid, if you only want to spend $500, I suggest you save a little longer. If you can't afford it at the outset, then you might not be ready to run 1/8 scale... It's simply an expensive class and a $500 budget isn't going to get you much, except for a bunch of headaches.

If you insist on that budget, search for a used one. There are deals to be had on used rollers but be careful, ask lots of questions and get pictures.
+1
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:

Like I said, Im trying to get as many used things as possible. Ebay is my friend.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
Tech Addict

And there is nothing wrong with that, just be aware that in the end you'll end up spending MORE buying used than you would if you'd just bought new.

I made the mistake of buying a used truggy roller last season and it costed me more total than if I'd just bought a new kit to start off with.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
And there is nothing wrong with that, just be aware that in the end you'll end up spending MORE buying used than you would if you'd just bought new.

I made the mistake of buying a used truggy roller last season and it costed me more total than if I'd just bought a new kit to start off with.
That might happen, but I would rather spend a little then a little replacing worn parts then over $1,000 in new stuff.

My budget is around $500, give or take, the 8ight cost $400 and the 8ight 2.0 costs $550. If I were to get a new 8ight I wouldnt even get to get all the parts I need for about a couple months.

Look at my signature....

Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #24
Tech Master

Looks like I know what im gonna do. Get an 8ight roller and Futaba S9351 Digital High Torque Servo for $150. Yes, this is true. Ask Briguy. Either the RB S3 or S5, Ofna or Losi 8ight Starter box, JP-3 pipe, and a clutch if it isnt on the roller and I should be good to go for about $500!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I wouldn't recommend a 9351 for an 8ight.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Curious why you say that, I used a 9351 in my truggy all last season on the throttle/brake with zero issues. It's a very good servo with plenty of torque and decent speed.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Looks like I know what im gonna do. Get an 8ight roller and Futaba S9351 Digital High Torque Servo for $150. Yes, this is true. Ask Briguy. Either the RB S3 or S5, Ofna or Losi 8ight Starter box, JP-3 pipe, and a clutch if it isnt on the roller and I should be good to go for about $500!!!!
for $150 you could get 2 of these

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5994

or for $179.98 you could get 1 of those and 1 of these

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5733

both are more than enough for the 8ight on steering and throttle the only thing is they are not a true futaba spline so you have to put a small piece of a plastic bag or similar on before the servo horn to remove any veriations

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I wouldn't recommend a 9351 for an 8ight.
Why not , I used one and a 9451 in both of my 8ights and they work great ! Have you even used this servo ? 192 oz at .13 of speed is perfect for an 1/8 . Retro , Chris doesn`t have the money to buy new servos and there is nothing wrong with Futaba servos . I`m trying to help Chris out , I told hime he could have the buggy for $75 but he didn`t feel right and wanted to give me $150 , so I threw in a GOOD servo . Not everyone [especially kids] have the money to go out and buy all the top notch stuff brand new . Remember the title of this thread is a $500 budget . Chris is somewhat new to RC and never had a 1/8 and even a JR 590 would work for him starting out until he got the hang of things and then needed to upgrade .
Old 11-18-2008, 07:10 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
I will be running at Thunder Alley RC Raceway. So the track is kinda big. What go-tech or dynamite engine would you suggest? Im looking for one with a 2-needle carb. Also should I get a good used engine for $100-$200 or a ok new engine like the rb .21, go-tech, or dynamite engine for about $150-$250.
this Dynamite but it has a 3 needle carb......

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25386

or this go-tech, 5 or 7 port ir the same price, it has a 2 needle carb.........

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16978
BAUSTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #30
Tech Master

I think I want a 2 needle carb because I have only had 1 nitro engine before. Im thinking about getting theRB S5. I looked on youtube and the s5 screamed compared to the s3.