R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   D8 or 808, mbx6, mp9, 2.0 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/253862-d8-808-mbx6-mp9-2-0-a.html)

speedy2 11-15-2008 07:41 AM

D8 or 808, mbx6, mp9, 2.0

how is the new D8 really up against the other buggys also O'donnell?

rezenclowd3 11-15-2008 07:43 AM

...it all depends on your setup, maintenance and your driving level. It was good enough for Hara to win the worlds.

Mlbracing 11-15-2008 07:47 AM

if your buying one buy the 2.0 :)

but I agree with rezenclowd3

UltegraSTI 11-15-2008 08:05 AM

flip a coin...

...a few times.

eliminate 1s where u cant rely on ur shop to have parts avail or others running them at ur track en mass.

R

Mister-T 11-15-2008 08:18 AM

808, this buggy is not an expense it's a long term investement. Most racer here switched to 808 simply because it does not need a simple upgrade to be reliable.

Jaz240 11-15-2008 08:19 AM

This is the easiest question I have seen posted in awhile. The answer is....................you have 5 of the top 6 buggies in this list and anyone will be more than capable of winning. It definitely comes down to what your LHS stocks, and what the guys at your track run.

D8 11-15-2008 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mister-T (Post 5054209)
808, this buggy is not an expense it's a long term investement. Most racer here switched to 808 simply because it does not need a simple upgrade to be reliable.

did you read the question??

speedy2 11-15-2008 09:23 AM

I mean, does it drive as easy as a 808
does it do highjumps as easy and as far than a losi
the bumphandling of a mbx....?

answers should come from drivers having switched....to D8

I would think
it is more difficult to find a good set-up..
with those little shocks and the weight

blktransam 11-15-2008 09:55 AM

a guy was running the D8 this past race day and said it pushed really bad, he couldnt find a good set-up on it all day. of course it is going to take more then one day at the track to find a good set-up. But he was having prs all day. I see you did not list the Rc8 as a option?

ryanroma 11-15-2008 10:23 AM

He has probably already heard about all the RC8's steering slop problems, etc.

nta01 11-15-2008 10:25 AM

Don't hesitate getting a D8. I am conducting private test of new buggies except the MBX6. This car is worth it's price and more.

D8- I ran Travi's set up from the worlds
Highs: One of the easiest build, good quality materials, stable and consistent on the track so you are able turn repeatable laps. Able to push the car without it biting back.
Lows: Car is heavy (probably why she is so stable) though not a problem, my car pushed but I am sure you can set the car to your liking. Due to it's short rear shocks, it wasn't quite able to absorb the rough stuff like the others.

You won't be disappointed. Parts are available now and are inexpensive. If you do get one, get your usual spares but get multiple packages of servo arms as to the unique layout of the steering servo, you have to use their arms.

Good luck,

blktransam 11-15-2008 10:26 AM

I have had my rc8 for almost a yr now, comming from the losi 8ight, yes it does develope a little bit of slop over time, but its a great buggy has won me several races, and never lets me down. the parts are cheap to fix the slop anyways.

but back to the topic I have heard ppl. running 5-4-1 diffs for better steering.

Thopper 11-15-2008 11:13 AM

I dont understand peeps saying the D8 pushes! A push is one thing the D8 does not do ALL. I could not stop the car from hooking no matter what I did except sell it! The MBX6 is very easy to drive out of the box and very well built.

speedy2 11-15-2008 12:26 PM

like I said ..not so easy to set-up...

and the jumping ability
average
or very good ??

jpz_67 11-15-2008 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by speedy2 (Post 5054120)
how is the new D8 really up against the other buggys ?

I personally think the D8 is right on par with all the rest of the buggies out there. The car is fairly light, has big bore shocks, revised ring and pinions for aggressive acceleration, and pretty much all the adjustments needed to dial the car in for any track. I have seen the car in the hands of non professional drivers and it looks really good,as we all know the pro drivers can go fast with a box equipped with 4 wheels. I would say go for it, at the very competitive price of the D8 you just cant go wrong. If for some reason you dont like the car your loss would be a minimum, I would think that you could at least get half your investment back. Good luck and I hope this helps. :)

CarCrazy 11-15-2008 04:18 PM

I've driven a couple D8's, and I'm sorry to say they don't even compare to the Xray 808 in jumping, steering, acceleration, braking, or strength. The sponsored driver I know that runs this buggy rarely finishes his mains. Sorry put a damper on things, but thats the truth, and you pretty much get what you pay for. ;)

Ashalak 11-15-2008 04:31 PM

Having owned an 808 and driven a D8, I'd have to disagree. The D8 is a really solid car, it does everything really well and its supremely planted and predictable. The 808 may be abit faster in certain areas, but the D8 is more consistent.

ABURTON 11-15-2008 04:38 PM

I'll say go the 2.0 route, or atleast it would be a great choice. For many reasons. I run the car and I do so for a lot of reasons. I do race for losi but here is the thing....

Well before the worlds I looked into what I felt was the best kit overall. I ran several different cars. In the end I went out and spent $5000 and got grp engines, kits, parts, etc to get me going. Why? because I knew regardless I would have support through a very large company should I have any issues. All this before I had any support with losi. You also have very strong team support with Adam Drake, Mike Truhe, Casey Peck, the list just goes on and on. This company is very commited and I felt like they would be unmatched in work ethic and drive. These things trickle down to the consumer and the end result is a great product. The 2.0 you can purchase the same identical car that tq'd the worlds and finished 2nd, the same thing. You need nothing for the car out of the box and is ready for the upper levels of racing out of the box. It's tough, very fast, and can be set up for drivers of all skill levels. Parts support is huge, most local tracks will have several racers with them and if you can;t get it local then any major online store has parts, kit, etc. I have known Adam Drake for many years and recently have got to know mike truhe and the rest of the team, engineers, and even the man in charge at Losi. I have been very impressed with how business is conducted with them and how they treat even the "local Joe" at the track. I can't imagine how this would be the wrong direction for you.

With that said you also have some other good choices there that would make you happy as well. I would like to see you go the Losi route and I am sure they would to. If you have any specific questions you can email me direct @ [email protected], or check the losi threads on here.

Good luck!

CarCrazy 11-15-2008 08:32 PM

I do agree the Losi camp has great parts support and some cool people that make up that company. If your looking for race buggies, its probably the new Losi, Xray, Kyosho, or Mugen that are at the top. They all rock. But don't be fooled by pro drivers results at any race.

Flip a coin!! LOL!

infanterene 11-15-2008 09:05 PM

I have had the D8, 808, mbx6 and MP9. The D8 has its good days but it was not consistent enough for me. Some time the car was on rails and sometimes it was all over the place.

D8 11-15-2008 09:39 PM

I don't know but when you have a guy like Graham Alsop showing up at the track to test all the top car and then picking up the D8 as is new ride says a lot... and I am sure that a top pro driver like Alsop know what he is doing.. ;)

take a look here.... http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/...pan_Nats01.wmv

Jaz240 11-15-2008 10:25 PM

Everyone please keep in mind that driving style has allot to do with the buggy you should choose. You should base your choice on quality and durability first, but then you need to realize that different buggies handle differently, some are made for point and shoot, and some are made for finesse, some are better on power turners, some are better jumpers, etc, etc. You should definitely take your home track into consideration also when looking for a new buggy. If it is a small technical track you might be better suited with a pivot ball design, as they have better steering adjustablility, etc, etc. Dont pick a buggy because it won a few races. Just because someone else can win with it dont mean you can. If you are novice choose something easier to drive, and to work on. There's allot more factors that people should take into consideration before choosing, and not so much what other people think is the best choice.

D8 11-15-2008 11:04 PM

+1 :nod:

Sam-E 11-15-2008 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 5055933)
Everyone please keep in mind that driving style has allot to do with the buggy you should choose. You should base your choice on quality and durability first, but then you need to realize that different buggies handle differently, some are made for point and shoot, and some are made for finesse, some are better on power turners, some are better jumpers, etc, etc. You should definitely take your home track into consideration also when looking for a new buggy. If it is a small technical track you might be better suited with a pivot ball design, as they have better steering adjustablility, etc, etc. Dont pick a buggy because it won a few races. Just because someone else can win with it dont mean you can. If you are novice choose something easier to drive, and to work on. There's allot more factors that people should take into consideration before choosing, and not so much what other people think is the best choice.

Jaz you da man and we love you, but, some of us travel and race at differwent twacks so you need to pick a buggy which suits your driving style irrespective of the twack because twacks can change.

bigsquidracer 11-15-2008 11:19 PM

i really bieleve tat any of those buggys will be great for you. i would goo with the 2.0 or 808. both alot of lhs carry parts and the parts are cheaper that of hotbodies, mugan and kyosho's

speedy2 11-16-2008 01:26 AM

skip the mbx6 never liked mugen
rather go for a O'Donnell buggy then ....

ABURTON 11-16-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by D8 (Post 5055837)
I don't know but when you have a guy like Graham Alsop showing up at the track to test all the top car and then picking up the D8 as is new ride says a lot... and I am sure that a top pro driver like Alsop know what he is doing.. ;)

take a look here.... http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/...pan_Nats01.wmv

I don;t think that is a case of he tested all the top cars and felt the d8 was the best. I think it was more of HB offered him more than the big companies would or could. I'm also willing to bet he has not "tested" all the top cars. He is a great driver and an asset to any team. Just my thoughts though.

D8 11-16-2008 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ABURTON (Post 5056667)
I don;t think that is a case of he tested all the top cars and felt the d8 was the best. I think it was more of HB offered him more than the big companies would or could. I'm also willing to bet he has not "tested" all the top cars. He is a great driver and an asset to any team. Just my thoughts though.

he was at local tracks doing some serious off-season testing Graham found the D8 buggy to be the easiest and most consistently fast buggy to drive.

female pro driver Rachel Merry from the UK, also left HoBao Racing for Hot Bodies...

Jaz240 11-16-2008 08:03 AM

One of the best drivers I race with ( not in the same class of course) has been having a tough time finding a buggy that fits his style. He used to drive Losi, then switched to XRAY, and for the past month he has been testing other buggies. I know he has tried the MP9, and the D8. My point is you need to find what fits your style, yes we do race at different tracks, blah, blah, blah.

All I'm saying is it needs to feel right, and he hasn't found one that does yet. He is testing all of the top buggies out there. They are all great, they can all win, but he hasn't liked any of the 4 he has tried yet, because they weren't right for him. I just don't want people to make a $600-$800 mistake just because someone on this forum says, buy this buggy, it's the best! There's no such thing as the best, the best is the one you love, the one that fits your style, and the one YOU can win with.

rstnboy 11-16-2008 08:05 AM

If you were happy with your OCM, then think of the D8 as a cross between it and the 8ight. I moved from the OCM (which I was extremely happy with) to the D8 and I know I made a good choice. In fact, with just 2 hours of practice and using the stock setup, I placed 3rd in the A-main at my local track. Compared to the OCM, the D8 felt lighter on its feet, had better steering, and jumped like a gazelle. I haven't driven the 2.0 version of the 8ight but I did own the original and it was too twitchy for my driving style. Where the 8ight was twitchy, the OCM was very stable but didn't jump or steer like the 8ight. Between these two is where the D8 lives. I can go deep in the corners like I did with the 8ight but it keeps the rear end behind the front when exiting like the OCM. (Before anyone decides they need to jump on and tell me how great the 8ight is, I already know...got it. It just wasn't great for me and how I drive.)

The fact that the winner of the IFMAR worlds won with the D8 should not be a deciding factor in choosing the buggy. As you undoubtedly know, had the final race been on a different day or at a different location, someone else may very well have won driving a Losi, Mugen, Associated, Xray, or any other brand of buggy out there. Four drivers wheeling the D8 and finishing in the top 12 (that is a full 1/3 of the spots for the math challenged), however, does demonstrate that it is definitely good enough to sit at the big table. Statements concerning its durability or ability to finish races can and have been made about every make and model of buggy in existence. Five minutes searching any of the model-specific threads in these forums will yield a multitude of statements to that effect.

My post is not a push for you to buy the D8, it is merely in response to your opening question. Any of the buggies you list would be a good choice if they suit your driving style. Since we both have enjoyed the what the OCM offers, I thought I would give you my impression of the D8 from that perspective. Best of luck on making your choice, I know with the quality of offerings out there right now it is not easy. As a matter of fact, I also have a new MBX6 but don't enough time behind the wheel to say it's better or worse than anything else but I can say that so far I like it a lot.

speedy2 11-16-2008 02:22 PM

I stay with the OCM evo
I am just building a evo pro spec 2009 de luxe
with the new parts and my set-up
it should rock..
just wanted to know how the d8 is performing
especialy how it jumps

DWood 11-16-2008 04:59 PM

Just a little note for everyone that is all talking the D8 up. The D8 you will buy from the store isnt the D8 that Hara won with, nor the one that Alsop will drive. Plain and simple. Now dont take that as say anything bad about the D8, just stating facts. The MP9 would be my choice. That cars drive train is smooth as they come. Kyoshos attention to detail is unmatched. The price tag is worth it. It is top of the line out of the box, nothing extra needed to make it competive. Just my 2 cents.

D8 11-16-2008 10:28 PM

Hara's D8 had a light chassis and two cnc drivecups for center cvd's, taller rear tower with the lighting evo2 buggy longer shocks and some titanium pins and rods. the other three D8's in the worlds final were pretty much stock or maybe some titanium pins on Tessmann car .. the D8 that Hara used at the Japanese champ race had the light chassis, the same two cnc drivecups and some titanium pins/screws, the rear tower and shocks were stock... the D8's that Tessmann,Roberds and Amezcua run at every race are pretty much stock buggies with minimal changes and they still run at the front pac all the time.. the D8 that Tessmann ran at Thunder Alley only had two cnc drivecups and some titanium pins and maybe steering rods.. nothing extra needed to make it competive. Just my 2 cents ;)

DWood 11-16-2008 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by D8 (Post 5059557)
Hara's D8 had a light chassis and two cnc drivecups for center cvd's, taller rear tower with the lighting evo2 buggy longer shocks and some titanium pins and rods. the other three D8's in the worlds final were pretty much stock or maybe some titanium pins on Tessmann car .. the D8 that Hara used at the Japanese champ race had the light chassis, the same two cnc drivecups and some titanium pins/screws, the rear tower and shocks were stock... the D8's that Tessmann,Roberds and Amezcua run at every race are pretty much stock buggies with minimal changes and they still run at the front pac all the time.. the D8 that Tessmann ran at Thunder Alley only had two cnc drivecups and some titanium pins and maybe steering rods.. nothing extra needed to make it competive. Just my 2 cents ;)

Well thanks for the not needed run down. Love the fact that you said a couple of times through your post what were the words? Pretty much, I think . Wow some very thought provocing statments. Might I ask how do you happen to have all these facts. Oh and you wouldnt be alittle bias would you D8? But Im not trying to bet into a battle of words. Either way as I said not the car you can buy from the store. And by the time you change the parts out you are back up there in price. Would you like your change back?

speedy2 11-17-2008 01:38 AM

all is relative ....
tess and jesse are running the D8 stock
unless the driveshaft problem
it would have been a without any problems kit first off

a friend of mine is a big name with many years of experience
right now he is doing a complete review of the MP9
and he told me : "don't buy a mp9, rather buy a mbx6 like me, I have seen to much already with the mp9 " ... not willing to give any clues why..
but it's true, it seems to have all you need out of the box
and looks like a real racing machine

D8 11-17-2008 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by DWood (Post 5059679)
Well thanks for the not needed run down. Love the fact that you said a couple of times through your post what were the words? Pretty much, I think . Wow some very thought provocing statments. Might I ask how do you happen to have all these facts. Oh and you wouldnt be alittle bias would you D8? But Im not trying to bet into a battle of words. Either way as I said not the car you can buy from the store. And by the time you change the parts out you are back up there in price. Would you like your change back?

relax Jack!!! how do I know the information?? easy.. the team drivers post their information in the New Hot Bodies D8 thread, we ask and they reply :ha:

infanterene 11-17-2008 01:34 PM

Someone should crap inside dwoods cap when he's not looking .

markhat250 11-17-2008 01:52 PM

I've driven a lot of them, and it's already been said, but I'll say it again...........

TRACK SUPPORT and LHS SUPPORT.

Took me a while from seeing all these "other" cool cars untill I finally realized you gotta get what people are racing at your track. It makes racing soooo much easier. You may not be the "cool guy" with the "different" car, but abandon that theory quick.

My track is predominantly Losi and Associated. A few Jammins and D8's in the mix too. I own an 8ight-e and an RC8.

Jaz240 11-17-2008 02:59 PM

That works for me. I race at the "Nitro Pit" There are over 200 regular racers, and every Buggy/Truggy on the market is on the track, and soon to be stocked in the affiliated near by Hobby shop! God I love Arizona! 365 days of Nitro action!!

D8 11-17-2008 03:36 PM

Jaz240... I have got to make it to the Nitro Pit one of this days, and when I do I will let you know so I can stay in your garage and drink some beer... lol :D