Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Clutch bell and flywheel fitting advice please... >

Clutch bell and flywheel fitting advice please...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch bell and flywheel fitting advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Clutch bell and flywheel fitting advice please...

Hey guy's, i have fitted the clutch and flywheel to my new sirio engine and bolted it all to the buggy. When i fitted the flywheel i had to play with shims so it would clear the casing and the carb, i'm pretty confident that it fitted ok as the guy in the shop was the one who told me to purchase the kyosho spacer kit.
I have fitted the clutch bell and i found if i put two shims at the back closest to the flywheel then the bearing then clutch bell then next bearing and end screw with washer it cleared the flywheel nicely but had some back and forth slop. However i fitted an extra shim before the screw and washer at the front but this seems to allow the bell to spin but not as well as the above set-up although there is no slop. What am i aiming for when fitting the clutch bell?
Should i have no slop, free movement and a visible gap between bell and flywheel?

cheers-Hugh
Old 11-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I don't know all about the setups you are trying to use, but I will explain what I shoot for when setting mine up. I like for the clutchbell to spin freely. Meaning, no binding of any kind whatsoever. I don't mind a touch of end play as long as I can take a finger and spin the clutchbell without any drag. For me it is something I had to play with (trying different shim combinations) to get it where I wanted it and sometimes I will adjust it. The main thing I would shoot for is no binding of the bell. You also want to make sure the bell is not rubbing anything else as well.

Hope this helps
Old 11-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hugh_b
Hey guy's, i have fitted the clutch and flywheel to my new sirio engine and bolted it all to the buggy. When i fitted the flywheel i had to play with shims so it would clear the casing and the carb, i'm pretty confident that it fitted ok as the guy in the shop was the one who told me to purchase the kyosho spacer kit.
I have fitted the clutch bell and i found if i put two shims at the back closest to the flywheel then the bearing then clutch bell then next bearing and end screw with washer it cleared the flywheel nicely but had some back and forth slop. However i fitted an extra shim before the screw and washer at the front but this seems to allow the bell to spin but not as well as the above set-up although there is no slop. What am i aiming for when fitting the clutch bell?
Should i have no slop, free movement and a visible gap between bell and flywheel?

cheers-Hugh
You should have a TINY bit of slop, about 1 shim's thickness worth, free movement, and the clutch bell should not touch the flywheel, but also it should not leave ANY portion of the shoes visible- they should fully contact the bell as they extend with rotation.

Sounds like you have got it about right... probably just need to remove that end spacer, or possibly one of the ones behind the inner bearing. You should use enough spacers behind the flywheel to keep it from rubbing on the front of the motor, but only just enough for that... enough spacers between the nut holding the flywheel and the rear bearing of the clutch bell that the bell is not rubbing on the flywheel, shoes, or pins that hold the shoes, and enough spacers outside the final bearing (if any are needed) to allow it to spin freely with just a TINY, MINISCULE amount of play. If there is no play the bearings will fail very rapidly as everything heats up and expands.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

nice one guy's, very helpful, will go and adjust now...
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

About .4 of a MM front to back play.

Look at the FAQ about what causes a clutch to eat bearings.
http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=support#life

TKO lists a the amount of play even with their CB shims.
http://tkocompetitiondev.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=261