R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default T-Maxx Problem.

Hi,

I'm new to the Nitro R/C trucks and bought a used T-Maxx 2.5r off of someone. I'm having problems with it and can't figure it out. I took it down to my local hobby shop here and the expert there fixed the problem. Then the next day when I took it out to run it it still does the same thing.

The problem is that when it is sitting still on the ground running, after about 30 seconds of idleing the idle gets way fast and the trans trys to engage without me doing anything. The motor idles so high that the wheels start spinning as if It was WOT. Before I got it the guy I bought it off of reset the LSN and the HSN and the IDLE back to stock.

I'm stuck here and would really rather not take it back to the hobby shop to get them to fix it because then I'm not going to learn anything.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appericiated. Thank you.
inf3kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Send a message via AIM to TRYMY4.0

Hey man, My co-worker just got a new 2.5 RTR and it has the same problems. I called traxxas and they said some of the symptoms I was having were normal.

Check a thread I made, a little below yours and you will see where some people have helped me. Check your low speed idle screw. My co-workers was WAY out, now it made it run a lot better but it still shutters real bad and the engine will become very smooth and doesnt sound like it is making a lot of compression.

-Ant.
TRYMY4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It sounds like you have an air leak somewhere. Check your gas tank, your fuel tubing, the backplate on the engine, as well as the carb, the high speed needle, and the front bearing. Sometimes the airleaks only are noticeable after the engine heats up, which causes the crack/hole to expand. You LHS apparently did not fix anything. Search the threads for air leaks, and check all the areas I mentioned. It may be a simple $2 fix, or you may need a whole new engine.....good luck
Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If it's an air leak try some of this:

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=8845

you can order it or possibly get it local. It may be good to go ahead and seal the 2.5 up anyways.
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Well I fixed it and it runs perfect now. But now I have another problem that just started yesterday.

For some reason at some random point when the truck is running all the electronics just cut out and it won't steer and the throttle works like 10%. I tried charging the battery pack and then when out to rip it this morning and it maybe lasted 1/2 a tank before it did it again. Yesterday it last a full tank and a half. Any ideas?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

maybe a bad switch???? You never know with electronics. There is rarely something that jumps and shows itself as a problem. Switch, or bad pack, or reciever is going goofy, could also be low voltage in your transmitter as well.
motoclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf3kt View Post
Well I fixed it and it runs perfect now. But now I have another problem that just started yesterday.

For some reason at some random point when the truck is running all the electronics just cut out and it won't steer and the throttle works like 10%. I tried charging the battery pack and then when out to rip it this morning and it maybe lasted 1/2 a tank before it did it again. Yesterday it last a full tank and a half. Any ideas?
tell us what you fixed! What was the problem?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dieseldog20 Send a message via Yahoo to dieseldog20

sounds like a transmitter problem. check to make sure the crystals are all the way pushed in. I have had that problem the crystals work themselves loose.

Also, what was the problem with your truck before you fixed it.
dieseldog20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

The Carb was all gummed up with old fuel so adjusting the HSN and LSN would do nothing. I took it out and cleaned all the fittings and the body of it and now it runs really good.

The deal with the electronics cutting out is weird. It doesn't have a AA battery pack anymore its got a hump pack in it and I guess when I flipped it the other day the lead in the wire jiggled loose and made it stop working. If it happens again I just gotta fiddle with the wire.