Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

from greatest to least for me on quick changes

Tires/roll center rear/shock positions
Old 11-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_clawzz View Post
Well I dn't really mess with that, becuse i can't tell the difference in track performance for different arm psitions on the shock tower

Nah, I like to keep the dogbones in the rear and front lower suspension arm level. I know ride height plays a major role in on-road, but I don't think it's really that much of a big deal in offroad, especially bottoming out is something we all try to avoid.
The MOST dramatic change I made to my truck (after tires) was raising the front roll center to the top position. It went from pushing like, well, a truck, to turning almost like a buggy.

As for what the most dramatic changes are... diff fluid and shock fluid make big differences in the way the vehicle responds. Lighter fluid in front diff = better on-power steering. Lighter in rear = better turning, more rotation. Lighter in general is easier to drive. Heavier in the center makes it more aggressive.

Shock fluids should be somewhat "matched" to the springs, and rear should almost ALWAYS be lighter than the front.

More toe in in the rear will make the rear more planted, but also "snaps" quicker when it does lose traction, so too much toe will make the car stable but unforgiving.

More toe out in the front gives quicker intial turn in but makes the car twitchier. NEVER use toe in on the front.

Camber should be set to try to maintain contact patch through suspension travel. I like 2 degrees front and 2.5 rear on my truck. Others may like things a bit different, even on the same type of truck.

longer upper rear camber link makes the car more planted and "lazy" in the rear, very forgiving.

Lighter swaybars give more traction, but allow more body roll... if the car pushes, you can put a lighter front bar, or for a more subtle change just move the end links out further. If the car is loose in the rear, a lighter rear bar helps. Alternatively, to "balance" things, if the front pushes go to a heavier rear bar.

ALL of these changes work together. Change ONE thing at a time and note if you like the results... if you change several things at once, sometimes you can take it too far, or make a change that has a negative impact... then how do you know which one to change back? It is change, test, change, test, change, test to find the setup that works for YOU.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote