R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default HPI Baja 5T Rolling over!

Hi just ran my 5T for the first time and it rolls over like crazy on our track. I lowered the suspension almost to the bottom I am guessing that the tall flexing tires cause the roll overs. What else will help with the rolling over? sway bars, shock oil? thanks
franklucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

More throttle. Slide it through the corners. I love mine.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Tech Regular

have you found a good place for parts that are just for the 5t. I need some roll cage and front bumper parts thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklucas View Post
Hi just ran my 5T for the first time and it rolls over like crazy on our track. I lowered the suspension almost to the bottom I am guessing that the tall flexing tires cause the roll overs. What else will help with the rolling over? sway bars, shock oil? thanks
I felt one in the hobby shop and to me it felt very soft. the suspension looks very promising compared to most other 1/5 scales. i would try some heavier oil, maybe some stiffer springs, and it's also important to get the ride height correct.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i would agree i have only seen one and it was very soft also..
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to JustinD

The price tag isnt soft thats alot for a HPI with a weedeater engine.

Mugen MBX6 -EB MOD OS V-Spec / EB MODS FUEL
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Tech Regular

got mine 800 display model used 1 tank!! +1 for good deals!!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklucas View Post
have you found a good place for parts that are just for the 5t. I need some roll cage and front bumper parts thanks
I don't have a source yet on parts, other than the LHS. I will have a better source soon. PM me for details.
They are pretty soft, but they are supposed to be like the CORR Trucks. The Slash has a lot of body roll too. I tightened the springs up on mine. I'm also going to order some heavier springs to race with. Check my post in the large scale forum. I posted videos of racing them in my backyard. I built the track for 1/8th scale, but I'm now just making it a Baja track. Much longer and wider. These are too much fun and I don't burn up a half of gallon of nitro and wreck my good motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Why is it that everybody thinks this is so expensive? They are already down to almost $1200 on Ebay. Build an 1/8th scale Pro kit from scratch, buy 2 servos, a good motor and pipe, a cheap radio system and tell me where you are at? The same price, if not more. This truck already has all the billet pieces of the 5B SS buggy. It's also as fast as an 1/8th scale in a drag race. They don't have the low end punch of a nitro motor, but they haul the mail on top end. Just as durable also.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post

It's a great price when you consider a fully decked out race truggy or buggy will cost you the same and the weedeater motor will last many more gallons and is much cheaper to replace and rebuild.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytune View Post
I don't have a source yet on parts, other than the LHS. I will have a better source soon. PM me for details.
They are pretty soft, but they are supposed to be like the CORR Trucks. The Slash has a lot of body roll too. I tightened the springs up on mine. I'm also going to order some heavier springs to race with. Check my post in the large scale forum. I posted videos of racing them in my backyard. I built the track for 1/8th scale, but I'm now just making it a Baja track. Much longer and wider. These are too much fun and I don't burn up a half of gallon of nitro and wreck my good motors.

Why is it that everybody thinks this is so expensive? They are already down to almost $1200 on Ebay. Build an 1/8th scale Pro kit from scratch, buy 2 servos, a good motor and pipe, a cheap radio system and tell me where you are at? The same price, if not more. This truck already has all the billet pieces of the 5B SS buggy. It's also as fast as an 1/8th scale in a drag race. They don't have the low end punch of a nitro motor, but they haul the mail on top end. Just as durable also.
So which 1/8 scale are they as fast as?? I've seen one take a pretty normal jump and the front control arm broke off.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Forget it, don't buy one. They are too expensive. And they break going over small jumps. Why even bother? We were drag racing it against a Losi 8T in my back yard with an LRP 28 motor in it. They were dead even on top end. Look at the videos here.
Baja 5T video There was enough crashing on my part and nothing broke. You know, my buddy was racing a Mugen truggy and broke 2 front A-arms on his. My Losi was on the same track and broke nothing. What does this prove? Nothing, about as much as your story does. Everybody likes to put down what they don't have.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to JustinD

Same price as a racing 1/8 buggy lol difference is one is a race car one is a big toy I've seen them at a local track they jump like a messed up gas truck and break just as easy he landed flat and broke a front steering spindle now if it was 700 thats a good price for a toy but 1200 yeah right you can almost get a running real car for that.

Mugen MBX6 -EB MOD OS V-Spec / EB MODS FUEL
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They should have made the 5B and 5T 4wd.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I don't want to sound like an @$$ but it's called slowing before the turn a little bit more and maybe use a little brake?

You could try to lower the ride height
Old 11-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Tech Regular

we built a real wide nice track for these total of 8 in my area and race every sat. this will be my second sat. We have some small 2 ft high jumps and a large 6ft x 10ft roughly and it gets hugh air and clears the table easily and the only thing that was broken last weekend in 1+ hours balls to the wall on the track was my front body mount and my friends front left arm, but that will happen whe you run into the drivers stand log!! LOL A blast to drive!