Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Pro Series Intl Finals -- Videos

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Default R/C Pro Series Intl Finals -- Videos

The whole idea behind this weekend's shoot was to get as close to TV coverage of an R/C race. While we didn't have nearly the same number of cameras we had the basics covered. Chris used the Panasonic GS-300 a camera he used to own from the drivers stand and I covered the floor.

Easy enough you might say but shooting with more than one camera introduces a whole host of problems and makes things tedious and mindbending. Production companies with lots of bucks use a central time source and radio communications to all cameras so they all have the same timecode, When they get back to the shop to edit everything is lined up ready to go. They put the camera images on a screen start the vid and select which camera view goes on the final by hitting keys on the keyboard.

Vegas can do this too except I don't have thousands of bucks to buy timecode equipment. I've been experimenting with it and had pretty much given up when I had an idea to give it one more shot. If I had another person using the other camera we could turn them on pretty much at the same time via a hand signal. Now as long as we didn't turn them off until after the race the timecode will be almost perfect. Within a few frames. You align this out of the equation when you start and voila I have the same set up as the big boys. And I can't believe how easy it is to use this method after you go through the learning curve. I'll put those other cameras I have to much better use now. And I can give you peoples what you want with an overhead view of the race mixed with close ups of the action. Then everyone should be happy at last I do listen to suggestions. I get frustrated when I can't come up with a way to do it with what I have to work with. If Chris hadn't pitched in this weekend I couldn't have pulled it off this time either. Then again he's the only other person to ever use the Canon besides me. And from the look on his face I think it was an adaquate reward for his efforts. Chris can also tell you that this game isn't easy on mind or body.

While capturing the tapes today I realized that Chris and I had captured approximately the same amount of tape during the Slash race. 7 minutes is much easier to work with than 40+ when you are having to re render and change things a lot learning a new way to do something so I used the Slash footage to learn the multicam editing facility. This vid is a one shot me watching the two camera views and switching between which one would be on the final tape real time. No post fix-ups. No color correction between the cameras. Just a test of how this works. And believe me I can't wait to do the Pro Arena Truck which we actually tried to synch things up. I forgot to tell Chris to turn on the Rode so his video had no sound so I added a couple of tunes. Sorry for the long post but this is something I've been trying to do for a long time. It opens up a whole new way of doing things or I should say now you see the complete picture of what I've been trying to do with R/C video.

Embedded
www.promofo-racing.org/RCP-Slash-Test.html

Download
http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/...ash-Test-2.wmv

I'll get to work on the rest tomorrow. I'm tired and sore but happy

Griz

Last edited by griz11; 11-11-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Great Job Griz. That was fun being there watching the Slash races and practice races too.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Are you gonna name the Pro Truggy footage, the "Ryan Lutz Show"? That was a killer race, he checked out on the field.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Sweet video griz. Can't wait to see the others.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 PM
BH
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Griz, I can't get your stuff to stream or DL.

It's killing me as I know you make a good video.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Great vid! Too bad those trucks are so....uhhhh....awesome?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

awesome video
Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice video - can't wait to see some of the pro finals.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

that was an awesome video!!A+++++ job and can't wait to see your next production
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

'download' link does not work for me.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Same here...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

His bandwidth seems to be low.

The streaming will work, but you have to let the page load for several minutes. Be patient, it's worth it!

The download link is 401 I think. No such link
Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

nice video,

what's the name of the bands and songs you used?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Nice footage.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Default Sorry I fixed the linkfor you peeps

I'll eventually clean that up a bit and equalize the color. I've been trying to get this multicamera thing working for a long time and its so much fun to play with now that I have the hang of it. Here is a little sample of whats in store for the Pro Arena truck race. Just a taste and the final one will be a little different so its not a spoiler.

Embedded
www.promofo-racing.org/Trug-Test.html

Download
http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/.../trug-test.wmv

I'm starting to roll through the footage now. At first it was very slow going. I had to find 3 breaks in my tape where I turned my cam off by mistake but I just finished separating those out so I can make the final multicam container and edit the race on to the end. I'm trying to come up with a filter that will get rid of some of the dust and smoke but so far I haven't gotten anything to work. Oh well thats the atmosphere at one of those races. Next time I'm going to have a fm radio tuned to the announcer plugged into one of the channels on my XL-2 That way I'll get a clear call of the race. Chris was supposed to be right in front of a monitor but they moved them in about 10 feet and it screwed up everything. Its a learning process. Chris was a little taken aback how hard it is to keep those ankle biters in the frame for 50 minutes. I hope he teams up with me again next time it will work much better.

Griz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.