Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling... >

Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...

I have a nitro rustler with the trx 2.5 and I took it out bashing the other day. Nothing major, no jumping or anything just driving in a parking lot made of small stones. Anyway, I noticed an odd noise coming from the car...a loud clicking as it rolled so I stopped driving it and took it home. I was sure the tranny was the culprit so I took it out and it was grinding. I took it apart and looked inside and I didnt see anything wrong so I added a little grease and it was alot smoother. I put it all back together and pushed it on the floor and their is still a clicking noise. Do you think it is the clutch or something different all together? Thank you much for your help.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

was there any rocks stuck anywere from when you were driving it that you might have missed?

It wont be the clutch, cause when you push it on the floor by hand the clutch doesnt engage, the clutch bell just spins.

Have you checked all your bearing in the tranny, at the end of the driveshafts, clutch bell? Check all the bearings, sounds like a bad bearing.

When you say the tranny was "grinding" what exactly are you talking about? missing teeth, or just visible signs of significant wear?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Check to see if a groove has developed in the gears i have ahd the same problem especialy after drivering on rocks bcos really little one get in there and grind them to bits
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Default tranny grinding

when I had the tranny out I was spinning it by hand and the gears sounded noisy - no visible wear - I just figured it was due to lack of lubrication but maybe im wrong? - as far as bearings...how can I tell whether they are bad?
Also, everytime it clicks I hear a metal ping noise (not sure if that helps)

Thanks again
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

when it comes to the bearings you will know when they are bad when it looks like the are falling apart or you can see some of the little balls inside them.

On the clicking noise try this: put one hand on the tranny and push the car along. Whenever you here the noise, natuarlly there is going to be something physically causing that noise. If its coming from the tranny you will feel something in your fingers when that clicking happens. To me with out looking at it myself, it really sounds like something from the tranny.

Nothing on the motor is moving when its not running, the clutch bell will spin freely.

Try that and let us know what happens.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default Video

I held my finger on the tranny and I did feel something but when I was pushing the car with my hand anywhere on the rear end of the car I felt something : /

So I decided to post a link to a video so maybe the sound will help you out?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Default Video

here is the link to the video - maybe you guys can understand what it is by sound...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...08471054&hl=en

Thanks again
Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Tech Addict

it has to be something in the tranny. I cant watch the video since im on a government computer. Damn restrictions. But, it has to be in the tranny.

You said the tranny seemed to be grinding when you took it apart, its probably time to change the gears and bearings in the tranny. when i geto ff work ill watch the video and let you knwo something. if someone else doesnt.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Hold one of the rear wheels and spin he other and if the noise is still there, theres a possibility of a blown diff in the rear or centre

if its gone try other wheel and then try the same thing only on the frontn wheels if no noise then gears are most likely stuffed.

Josh..
Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Tech Addict

thats the problem though. there is no rear or center diff. the tranny is part of the rear end. its all one unit. but you are right on the spin one wheel hold the other. thats why i think it has to be a tranny problem.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Ahh ok im used to the hobao hypers tht have centre front and rear diffs

Oops
Old 11-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Tech Addict

Default spinning one wheel...

I have spun each wheel while holding the other and the sound is still present...what do I need to replace? The whole tranny? or can I replace the gears inside? Is their upgraded parts because this is the second tranny ive gone through?

Thanks alot guys : )

-Stephen
Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The gears should be replacable... take it out and find what you need, then consult an exploded view diagram to get the part numbers. I think the Rustler VXL gears are all steel/metal, maybe they would interchange???
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Default Main Differential...

any idea if this is the same...
Differential from my trans
Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...-img_0206n.jpg
Another pic
Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...-img_0207n.jpg
and another...
Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...-img_0208n.jpg

Differential gear from Tower hobbies for Traxxas Hawk II...
Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...-hawkii-diff.jpg

Here is a link to the Hawk II differential - It looks Identical but you guys know better then I do
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJJ19&P=ML

If there is a better one or if I have to replace the entire trans just let me know - im just trying to get up and running without breaking anything else -

Thanks again guys
Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Default lol

Right after I posted those pictures I found...
http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=1130

Can anyone tell me if the diff is def. the part I need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.