Search

WHICH PLUG!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default WHICH PLUG!!!

Hey fellas,

I am in the process of rebuilding my Losi Eight Truggy. Im going to put a new .25 Go Tech motor in it with the Dynamite 053 pipe standard head button. Will be running 30% nitro juice fuel in it. What i want to know is what plug??? I have been running McCoy 8s in all of my other engines, but man, the idle circuit is rediculous. Will nitro motors just sit and idle??? Im hoping they will soon, cuz its frustrating havin to keep pumpin the throttle over and over. The tune is good on the track, really crisp and rips great, but the idle, sheesh!! That was in my Dynamite 427. SOOOO, ne and all info would be PREESHATED!!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motoclay
Hey fellas,

I am in the process of rebuilding my Losi Eight Truggy. Im going to put a new .25 Go Tech motor in it with the Dynamite 053 pipe standard head button. Will be running 30% nitro juice fuel in it. What i want to know is what plug??? I have been running McCoy 8s in all of my other engines, but man, the idle circuit is rediculous. Will nitro motors just sit and idle??? Im hoping they will soon, cuz its frustrating havin to keep pumpin the throttle over and over. The tune is good on the track, really crisp and rips great, but the idle, sheesh!! That was in my Dynamite 427. SOOOO, ne and all info would be PREESHATED!!

try an odonells 97......medium plug ....or a 77 hot plug ....they are cheap good and last a long time ...thats what ive run in all my gotechs ...and i have run them all except for the .25 and .28 ....you should be good
Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

ne more thoughts here? I mean, i would think these motors should at least idle decently if tuned right?? I feel my motors have been tuned right, but the idle, thats another story!? Will hot/cold/medium plug effect that??
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by motoclay
ne more thoughts here? I mean, i would think these motors should at least idle decently if tuned right?? I feel my motors have been tuned right, but the idle, thats another story!? Will hot/cold/medium plug effect that??
well heres the deal .... if you think its tuned right and everything else on it is sound and in good working condition ...then you might try and use the plugs that are widely used in many gotech motors ....i mean your not running a rtr mach 427 anymore ...now that being said ...are your clutch components working right ...could there be some thing else you overlooked ...just trying to come up with something else you might have missed ...i mean glow plugs arent rockect science ....but what you can do is go to the gotech engines thread and ask there ....

my opinion ...in birmingham alabama
gotech motors non turbo head = 97t 77t od plugs
gotech motors turbo head = 97t 77t od plugs ......

oh and a few other things ...are you running the proper amount of head shims? what % nitro fuel are you running ? is the mcoy plug maybe to long and it is causing to much compression ?
have you checked your idle gap? is the motor way out of tune and your just used to tuning a mach 427 ?

stock settings for ALL gotech motors
high speed neddle=3.25 truns out from bottom
low speed neddle = 1 turn clockwise from flush with housing
idle screw gap= 1.5 mm

trust me gotechs are good but they are finiky to tune and to clutch properly ...take it from someone whos been through what your goping through right now

heres something i pulled off the web for you ...check it out ...see what you think

GLOW PLUG
A glow plug’s temperature range is critical to proper performance. Small-block engines generally use warm to hot glow plugs, while big-block engines use plugs in the colder range. If you choose a plug in the wrong temperature range, you could be chasing the tune of your engine till the sun goes down. Changes of the relative temperature of the glow plug can be beneficial, however.

A combination of compression, heat and a catalytic reaction between the platinum in the glow-plug coil and the methanol in the fuel creates combustion in a nitro engine. Altering the heat range of your glow plug can alter the timing of the combustion process. Nitro engines don’t have an ignition system that can be used to advance or retard combustion timing, but a hotter plug that causes ignition a little earlier in the combustion process can have the same effect. “Advancing” the ignition timing can increase overall power output, especially at higher rpm. There are limits, however, and installing too hot a plug causes pre-ignition (detonation) and risks damaging your engine.

It’s a challenge to figure out a glow plug’s temperature range. Manufacturers don’t use a consistent and universal standard to rate the temperature ranges of their glow plugs. You will probably know the temperature of a plug relative to others within a given product line, but currently, no rating system allows comparisons among manufacturers. Here again, plain old experience with a variety of glow plugs will help you to know which are best for the effect you want.

“Reading” the glow plug is a tuning technique advanced by Ron Paris. It suggests that looking at the glow plug tells you something about how your engine is running. The element in a glow plug will turn gray in an engine that is close to the optimum fuel mixture. This method requires a new glow plug, as the element will eventually turn gray regardless of the needle settings; the length of time it takes to turn gray is the issue. Plugs that turn gray in just a tank or two of fuel (running at race pace, not diddling around) indicate a fuel mixture close to ideal—but also close to trouble. If the plug stays wet and shiny for a few tanks of fuel, you’re in the safe zone; a little rich but safe. When the plug wire gets distorted or broken, however, you’re in real trouble. It’s a sure sign that the mixture is way too lean, or that there is too much compression and the engine is detonating.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

obtw heres the link to the go motor thread ...take everything with a grain of salt but this is where you should be looking and asking

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...es-thread.html
Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

thanks man. i have yet to even order the Go Tech, it is just on my wishlist i guess i should say. I know this is not rocket science. I just seem to have trouble keepin the damn thing ideling, and i see other motors just sit and idle so well and are crisp with one blip. My Mach motor would def. not do that. but, as long as it was cleaned out and at race pace, it ripped and driveability was def. there. It just wouldnt idle very well. I thought that i may just have too cold of a plug to keep the fuel lit at such slow rpm. I even adjusted the idle all the way up until the clutch engaged then backed it off just to where it wouldnt engage. I will land on it soon. I am hoping to order the Go this week and get the rebuild complete on my truck and see what happens. Thanks for the info!?!