R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Questions?? Interested & Confused about What to Buy

I asked this in On-Road too. But I also need to know this in Off-road

Would you all help me? I want to get involved in Nitro Off-road racing and was wondering what cars to buy. I am sure this has been asked many times. But I just want to know what are the most competitive models. Electric to nitro I go. hopefully.
Team T2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team T2C View Post

Would you all help me? I want to get involved in Nitro Off-road racing and was wondering what cars to buy. I am sure this has been asked many times. But I just want to know what are the most competitive models. Electric to nitro I go. hopefully.
cant go wrong with koysho mogen xray losi ae in that order for cars
Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

thanks, is that Mugen or Mogen?
Team T2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here is a look at most of the buggies on the market:

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idCategory=467

Like mentioned above try to stay with a major brand because you get very good support, setups, and many cars will be ran in local areas by racers. This also helps because of parts support at the track/ hobbyshops.
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you need to look at the Hot Bodies D8 and the Caster Racing ZX-1R they are great buggies at a great price...

porkchop.... you are something else., you just make me laugh.

Last edited by D8; 11-05-2008 at 10:12 AM.
D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

When choosing a car I would advise this:

Look at what is winning major races. If a company is spending money to employee the best drivers that means they spend on advertisement, quality, R&D, helpful websites, etc. It's also a sure bet that most popular hobbyshops will carry this line.

Check to see what your local shop has parts for and what local racers run. You never want to be a one man show with something. If you don't have a local shop check sites like www.carolinasrc.com, www.amainhobbies.com, etc...

Take the time to read forums dedicated to the certain brand cars. Just be silent and read. When a person creates a forum asking what brand to go with it usually yeilds people who say "hey, run what I run", although in some cases you get drivers/racers who will steer you straight.

I would(in no order) check into Team Losi, Mugen, AE, Kyosho, HB, Jammin, Xray, and odonnell.

I personally run for Team Losi and have had an awesome experience to date. they have a great team, great people behind them, great product support and they parts are in most shops across the usa. That goes the same for most of the others I have named.
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

team t2c~

do what i do buy all the kits kyosho,mugen,HB, etc race em see what one you like and sell the rest oh buy the way its just money well spent...lol
Old 11-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
D8
Tech Master

nobody talks or recommends the new Hyper9., I wonder why?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i would recommend investing in a good quality car like mugen, xray, kyosho they last longer and are cheaper in the long run, will be more money upfront but wont wear out nearly as fast as some of the other brands
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team T2C View Post

You are looking to switch from elec. to nitro correct?
Or onroad to offroad?
Either way. Look at what the local guys are running. It always helps when a novice has someone to ask questions to? and it really helps to have a car,motor,fuel,batteries,electronics that is popular with the locals. That way if you have issues with something they can better help you track side.

Don't worry about walking up to the fast guys at your track and asking them for help. More often than not they will do what they can to point you in the right direction.
good luck
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
When choosing a car I would advise this:

Look at what is winning major races. If a company is spending money to employee the best drivers that means they spend on advertisement, quality, R&D, helpful websites, etc. It's also a sure bet that most popular hobbyshops will carry this line.

Check to see what your local shop has parts for and what local racers run. You never want to be a one man show with something. If you don't have a local shop check sites like www.carolinasrc.com, www.amainhobbies.com, etc...

Take the time to read forums dedicated to the certain brand cars. Just be silent and read. When a person creates a forum asking what brand to go with it usually yeilds people who say "hey, run what I run", although in some cases you get drivers/racers who will steer you straight.

I would(in no order) check into Team Losi, Mugen, AE, Kyosho, HB, Jammin, Xray, and odonnell.

I personally run for Team Losi and have had an awesome experience to date. they have a great team, great people behind them, great product support and they parts are in most shops across the usa. That goes the same for most of the others I have named.

I would disagree 100%, but maybe we are the exception to the rule as newcomers who do not want to play politics in business.

But then of course, everyone laughed at Hyundai a few years back......and they have great priced quality cars....
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
D8
Tech Master

Caster RacingUSA is has put together a great line of high quality rc products, great relationship with their partners, and great cust support...
Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8 View Post
nobody talks or recommends the new Hyper9., I wonder why?
Because it hasn't been released!?!?! How can anyone recommend a car they know nothing about?

i will stick to my guns when I tell everyone who asks, that it does not matter very much what you buy if you are just starting out. Good drivers can win with anything, and bad drivers will lose with anything. If you are bashing only, get something affordable, Ready to run, that does not break easy. Once you get hooked, you are going to buy something else anyway. I started with traxxas, and now I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. For beginners they are great vehicles, and for bashing, you can't beat a Revo, or a T-maxx
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Tech Elite

There are alot of choices out there but 2 come to mind first for me. Losi and Associated. It seems wherever I go those 2 companies have good support. Just about any track will have guys who run either of those brands and near every shop has parts for them on the wall.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
Tech Addict

I better chime in really quick about that new Xray XB808, its a killer race buggy. There are so many benefits to running this buggy, the list would go on for ever. I've finished 17 races in a row with no DNS/DNF's with this buggy, and results don't lie! Its fast, strong, has great longevity, and its the lightest race buggy on the market.

It was the third fastest qualifier at the 2008 worlds, and set the fastest lap at the 2008 US Nationals in the A-main.

I'll spare you the rest of the shpeee'll, but heres the link so you can read up yourself. You should consider this a true contender, and for your next buggy.

Click on the XB808 text to get the full spec:
http://teamxray.com/teamxray/m_intro...9bdc109f5296c3
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote