R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dude here's a few motors that you can buy in stock fashion and win races.

-Jammin JPX .21
-VZB V-Spec
-OS .28xz
-Picco .28

...and many more...all this modding and stuff doesn't really matter if you can't drive...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

thats not my point at all... im looking at $$$ you can get a jammin 28 or the picco .28 for 200 bucks.. ..but EVERYONE says its too much power.. but then they turn around and talk about have a moddded .21 instead.. that makes more power than the stock 28.... .21s are alot more $$ than .28s for some reason
Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Some modded .21's have a wider, smoother powerband, not a larger overall power and torque output that wheel spins tires and is hard to control. A good tuned VSpec will have enough power for a truggy IMO. A .28 will work on a high grip track, so you have to choose an engine that suits what your going to use it for.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlz View Post
thats not my point at all... im looking at $$$ you can get a jammin 28 or the picco .28 for 200 bucks.. ..but EVERYONE says its too much power.. but then they turn around and talk about have a moddded .21 instead.. that makes more power than the stock 28.... .21s are alot more $$ than .28s for some reason
I'd imagine really high power high rpm .21's are more expensive than similar power .28's because it takes more thinking and engineering to get .28 power and better mpg out of a smaller displacement package while still keeping good low end and great high end pull and reliability.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Yes, a "tuned" or high powered.21 engine will most likley have the best efficiency when it comes to power and fuel consumption when compared to a stock version. One aspect of the Speed is thats its a factory tuned VSpec that has good bottom end punch, speed, and fuel consumption with an electric motor like linear throttle.

A .28 engine alone makes more power just by displacement. No need to fine tune for maximum output and fuel economy. Thats why is dropped into many RTR cars, simply for cost and overall "bashing". Don't get me wrong, the .28XZ was fun to watch when some ran it at our track, but it was just too much and was hard to drive with precision when racing.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #36
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I get many customers who are after having the fastest baddest engine possible..... many guys don't care if it helps or hurts their racing game, they just want a badass high powered engine for their own enjoyment..... You honestly dont need a modified motor to win races or even be competitive for that matter... However there still is a whole pile of fun to be had wheeling a big bad overpowered modded 28...I am in this hobby for fun and anything that increases the fun factor has my support....Modded motors are faster and nastier and I find them to be a whole pile more fun !...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You have to remember its "usable power". Thats the key. I see lots of people posting replies about how much more powerful this or that is.

The XZ as mentioned by myself and a couple of others is PLENTY powerful. Its too powerful in some cases, spinning its tires instead of driving it forward...
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Once you get your tune set, just run it till it stops in practice. If its tuned right, I'm sure you'll get more runtime over the .28. Did you drop a ceramic rear bearing in also with the crank?
Yep, ceramics have been put in. I normally take some time during practice to time my runtime, but did not take the time this past Sunday. In the main I didn't really care about it, as I was pulling away from the pack and pit strategy did not really come into play.
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There are alot of advantages to a modified engine if modified CORRECTLY. You can get a smother and more broad powerband from them and a little better run time if you know what your doing. I do alot of engines for people that just want raw power... and I also do alot of engines for customers that want a RACE engine.. This means good fuel economy, more power then stock but with a smooth power delivery that will hook up and work on the track! IMHO the whole point in having a modified engine is to have an advantage over your competitors stock mill with not just more peak power. And I have done ALOT of R&D and dyno testing etc to make sure my engines do this!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #40
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

i decided to have my picco .28 moded by Mark @ Powerhouse...thanks for all the input guys...aloha