R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Lead acid batteries (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/251575-lead-acid-batteries.html)

Momo5 11-03-2008 06:16 PM

Lead acid batteries

When storing my starter box for the winter, should a lead acid battery be stored charged or discharged?

mblgjr 11-03-2008 06:22 PM

Charged.

Check it after about two months and don't store it in a cold environment if possible.

Duster_360 11-03-2008 06:32 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy a float type charger to maintain the batt - can get one for less than $10 on Harbor Freight. I was replacing my CBR600 motorcycle batt every other year til I started leaving it on this kind of charger. The one I have now is going to be 5yr old this spring.

I have 2 starter boxes and both batts are on float type chargers.

jamminnay 11-03-2008 07:02 PM

the little battery tender chargers are good for this use

Integra 11-03-2008 08:47 PM

X2...a gel cell WILL Falll FLAT on its face in a matter of month's without use or proper maintenance. :nod:

boostfiend 11-03-2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Duster_360 (Post 5011581)
Do yourself a favor and buy a float type charger to maintain the batt - can get one for less than $10 on Harbor Freight. I was replacing my CBR600 motorcycle batt every other year til I started leaving it on this kind of charger. The one I have now is going to be 5yr old this spring.

I have 2 starter boxes and both batts are on float type chargers.

+1 for floating the battery.

Blower Uper A 11-03-2008 11:28 PM

charged so ive heard.

SirKarnage 11-04-2008 07:37 AM

Speaking of these starter box batteries. Can they be charged on a regular charger as well? Like the ICE or a Superbrain charger.
What would you set the amp/cell# at?

When I plug mine into my SuperBrain 977 it reads as 9 cells :( but that is probably due to it being 12V right?

I have been charging it at 1.5a 6cell and it seems to be doing ok.

Any suggestions (other than the float charger) for using a regular RC charger?

ezveedub 11-04-2008 07:48 AM

Those 12v lead acid or gel cells most be kept up with a battery charger or maintainer. If you let the voltage drop below 11.5 volts for a period of time, the cells will be damaged and will never come back up to full charge, which is 12.6 volts to be exact.

With that said, most chargers, like the Triton can charge 12v gel cells, but I think the ICE cannot. It a "Pb" battery, 6 cell, 12v if that info is needed.

In the long run, stick packs will outlast the 12v gel cell. If you you really want to try it, even a LiPo would be better IMO over time, granted that you use and charge it properly also. My 12v gel cells needed too much attention if not used all the time.

Integra 11-04-2008 08:06 AM

unless your charger states it can charge lead acid batteries...you cant......the 989 can...i dont think the 977 can tho...nor can the Ice....and on the 989 you set it to 2 cell's...not 6.....you prolly screwed that battery up already....and like ezeedub stated...once a gel drops below 12.6 its Fubar'd....it might come back to life...but its been hurt period.

bentgear 11-04-2008 09:56 AM

Have never been able to get 5 years out of a set of stick packs in a starter box, thats how old one of my gel cells is. Gel cells die due to neglect, either being run way down on voltage all the time or overcharging (high charge current). Wall wart chargers work fine for charging and thats the cheapest way. The worst thing is to hook an automatic full size car battery charger up to one, too many amps. Store in a charged condition. Float chargers are fine, if the float amperage is very low or they auto sense a low condition.

Ed M.

ezveedub 11-04-2008 12:16 PM

Well I most be getting some bunked 12v gel cells. I been through 3 so far in the last year, from 3 different sources. Stick packs can sit without maintenance charging for a longer period. Even my house alarm's battery will need a 12v gel cell after about 2 years, and thats sits on 12v constant charge feed.

bentgear 11-04-2008 01:03 PM

And I bet that if you were to feel the battery in the house alarm it would be warm from getting a slightly higher constant charge rate compared to what it needed.

Ed M.

Duster_360 11-04-2008 03:10 PM

Ice doesn't charge lead acid batts, My hyperion 0610iNet does however if I were so inclined. These batts were intended for trickle charging and 600-800ma is typical of recommended range.

I use a float charger made by Battery Tender (my parents live where they are made and I just go there when I'm visiting if I need anything) - a wall, plug in style and their Battery Tender Jr for my motorcycle batt.

I think gel cells may sit too long waiting to be sold and become slightly damaged and never perform like they should. If you went thru 3, that would have paid for a good float style charger and prob saved you at least one batt.