Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RX battery and charger help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default RX battery and charger help?

Hi, iam new to 1/8 buggy racing and I would like to know what kind of RX battery and charger I should get. I want a fast charger that want brake the bank maybe less than 50$ and a battery that will last a long time I may buy a couple of batteries. I have a Mugen 1/8 buggy. I run a JR 9000s T/B servo and Airtronics 94359 for my steering both are digital and I run a Futaba 3pm 2.4GHz system. I don’t run lipos yet because I don’t know what to get and iam kind of on a budget, I do have a few nimh batteries but they don’t last long they are 1200mah and I have a cheap wall charger with no timer that takes forever.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's what I use....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML

It's cheap and has decent features...will charge at up to 3amps on AC power. The only drawback is the "speaker style" outputs. I made up a little adapter that has female banana plug connectors that I leave attached all the time.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here, try one of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCJ9&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCK0&P=SM

A buddy got the 220 (programmable one) in a swap a couple of months ago and it's been great. If you can spare the extra $10 for the 220 it's always nice to be able to set the charge rate exactly where you want it. As far as the battery, I just bought a 1600 mah Orion NiMh at the LHS for $35. They had both hump and flat packs, should be just what you need. You might also look on-line at ProMatch and see what they have for receiver packs.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

any one else? and wht will i need to connect my j plug on my rx battery to the charger? can you charge more than one at a time and how long does it tak to charge a 1600mah battery? sorry iam new to all this battery stuff?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

You could try this charger it close to your price range. Its simple and tough.

http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...1240046105.htm

These Hyridmax RX packs arn't bad at 1400mah. You can get these is in hump packs or flat packs.

http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...1280122032.htm

hope that helps.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you wanna get the best bang for your buck get some 2500mah aa batteries and solder your own pack. You can buy the plug and wire at most hobby shops for cheap. I made two packs for $25 and they have lasted me all season.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

i run a 1400 nimh integey rx pack... i also use the pulsar charger. you can pick them up for really cheap on ebay or on here... you will need a power supply for that charger but those are pretty cheap also
Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I started with the DTX Digital Piranha charger and still have it. Its easy to setup and use and charges just about anything you can connect. I used it for rx and tx pacs, stick pacs for starting wand, rechargeable AAs and gel cell.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML

I've seen them used in teh FS/FT thread here for way below your budget and as long as you treat it decently, you should be able to sell down the road when you need a charger with more or diff features.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hambydsgb
any one else? and wht will i need to connect my j plug on my rx battery to the charger? can you charge more than one at a time and how long does it tak to charge a 1600mah battery? sorry iam new to all this battery stuff?
Just buy a female J plug at your local hobby shop or online to connect the Rx battery to the charger. The red wire would go to the positive and the black to the negative of course. Whether you can charge more than one battery pack at a time depends on the charger, but in your price range most will only charge one.

I charge my Rx packs at 1 amp, so it ould take 1.6 hours to charge a completely dead 1600 mah pack. I run two practices and two 6 minute qaulifiers using two digital servos before recharging. Topping off the battery pack normally only takes 25 minutes. I start the recharge before going out to marshal the next race.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

at club races i normally top my pack off at least once during the day... big races i normally charge more often just because of the downtime....