R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SOMEWHERE LUVIN ME SOME RC
Posts: 2,905
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default axe rossi x1 evolution engines thread

hey everybody ...was searching the forums and could only find the standard axe rossi thread ...figured since there updated i would get a new one going ....only because im thinking about buying one of the x1 evolution combos from amain ....whats the word on the newer versions of these engines ...the good , the bad , and the stupid

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23732
__________________
LATER COOKIE

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default

U purchased one last year ran about a gallon through it blew the conrod whiched ruined the whole engine pretty much and I sent it prepaid to Italy they sent me back 10 days later a brand new engine except for the carb and head.

I have heard because of the tight pinch you should replace your conrod after a gallon. Its extremely fast and smooth. I use a JP-2 pipe with the smaller in diameter of the two included carb restricter and get a little over 10 minutes a tank but thats pushing it gets 9:30 consistently with temps about 235-250.
franklucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SOMEWHERE LUVIN ME SOME RC
Posts: 2,905
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklucas View Post
U purchased one last year ran about a gallon through it blew the conrod whiched ruined the whole engine pretty much and I sent it prepaid to Italy they sent me back 10 days later a brand new engine except for the carb and head.

I have heard because of the tight pinch you should replace your conrod after a gallon. Its extremely fast and smooth. I use a JP-2 pipe with the smaller in diameter of the two included carb restricter and get a little over 10 minutes a tank but thats pushing it gets 9:30 consistently with temps about 235-250.

yes i had read about the problem ....it seems like they may have just had a few bearing problems and material problems ....so im thinking they must have that all sorted out now ....and as long as they make good on it ....im fine with that ....on the temps do people consistantly find they run higher than some motors ...i dont really care much about the temps ...as i run my gotechs 250 and beyond ...i just mainly tune by smoke sound and feel .....but i do notice that there are some motors out there that dial in around the 200 mark and still scream ,,,,seems like higher temps would promote deterioration ....of internal parts .....
__________________
LATER COOKIE

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
mblgjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 2,175
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

Can't speak for the current generation; but the generation just prior to the Cobra series was dead reliable.

They are *different* though...

The one Dad and I have has been a workhorse. Who knows how much fuel is through it. Didn't make tons of power, but had plenty of bottom.

I have heard a few complaints about losing rear bearings (on the ceramics) from a couple folks; but nothing major to be concerned about.

Sahak is a little wacky to talk to if you deal with him for parts (American distributor to the best of my knowledge); but he usually keeps things straight.

http://www.rossienginesusa.us/
__________________
Team Associated Reedy JConcepts.net FusionX USA
mblgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SOMEWHERE LUVIN ME SOME RC
Posts: 2,905
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

yup i had read about some qc issues ....but most other than like one person ...said contacted distributor and engine was replaced 10 days later ...so with a 3 year warranty plus the price ...i think its a done deal .....and most say many gallons or litres ....throught the motors before they need attention ....and yup most had said lots of bottom to mids ...so im thinking ...for tracks around here pushing a jammin x2 i should be good ......

ok who else has got some //////good bad ugly ....lets here some
__________________
LATER COOKIE

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

The X1 Cobras are awesome and a bit too much horses for me.
I run mine with the smallest insert and get comfortably 9 mins on a tank.
Key with these motors is to take your time running them in and to change the rod after break in and every 12 - 15 liters.
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SOMEWHERE LUVIN ME SOME RC
Posts: 2,905
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
The X1 Cobras are awesome and a bit too much horses for me.
I run mine with the smallest insert and get comfortably 9 mins on a tank.
Key with these motors is to take your time running them in and to change the rod after break in and every 12 - 15 liters.
im going to use the heat cycle method as it has been good to me so far ....for the price ..if i can get 5-6 gallons out of it then i will be pleased
__________________
LATER COOKIE

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

the Cobra's have a very soft powerband and have been proven unreliable ...there are many faster more powerful more reliable engine options available these days......for the cost of the Cobra you could buy many stock or modified engines that will give you much stronger performance from bottom to top........... my personal pick is a modified JPX 21, massive hard hitting low end and a unmatched blistering top end !!!! I have run the Cobra but I felt it was not powerful enough in the low end for a Truggy for my tastes.....maybe for a huge sweeping open track the Cobra would do fine...but dont expect it to be clearing any triples without a huge run up to them !

I see your looking at the Mamba..its even more of a dog then the Cobra.... seriously they are a very very very mild motor by todays standards....it will not keep up to the Jammins,. V-Specs or other top tier .21's
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 92
Default

gday there guys,this is my first post here,i just wanted to add my bit if i could,im running the x1 evo at the moment in my mp9,ive got to say maybe maximo got a bad motor,but im up to about 7litres at the moment and this motor hauls,run in was long but it has really come into its own,i love it and will definitely be getting another,it has been nothing but reliable,running the 2050 that i bought with the motor and it just hammers,bottom end is brilliant and the top end screams,my teps always run at about 220,get one you will not be dissapointed,it would pull a truggy along great i would imagine.
burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
the Cobra's have a very soft powerband and have been proven unreliable ...there are many faster more powerful more reliable engine options available these days......for the cost of the Cobra you could buy many stock or modified engines that will give you much stronger performance from bottom to top........... my personal pick is a modified JPX 21, massive hard hitting low end and a unmatched blistering top end !!!! I have run the Cobra but I felt it was not powerful enough in the low end for a Truggy for my tastes.....maybe for a huge sweeping open track the Cobra would do fine...but dont expect it to be clearing any triples without a huge run up to them !

I see your looking at the Mamba..its even more of a dog then the Cobra.... seriously they are a very very very mild motor by todays standards....it will not keep up to the Jammins,. V-Specs or other top tier .21's
Strange to hear.
Ive seen the complete opposite.
A sponsored JP driver with hand built motors built by JP himself arrived at the onroad track with 12 yes 12 motors trying to get the edge over guys with lesser motors with no success.
Guess it was the motors.........or was it ???

I own and have sold as well as seen many Axe motors that have been more than reliable and perform well.

Just the other day my X1 could out run a GRP tuned and OS Speed powered buggies never mind jump a table top by a meter and half longer than them, must have been the fuel i used on the practice day ... 20% nitro fuel .... guess i was day dreaming

Have seen more issues with Vspecs than any other engines so wont go down that road.
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Strange to hear.
Ive seen the complete opposite.
A sponsored JP driver with hand built motors built by JP himself arrived at the onroad track with 12 yes 12 motors trying to get the edge over guys with lesser motors with no success.
Guess it was the motors.........or was it ???

I own and have sold as well as seen many Axe motors that have been more than reliable and perform well.

Just the other day my X1 could out run a GRP tuned and OS Speed powered buggies never mind jump a table top by a meter and half longer than them, must have been the fuel i used on the practice day ... 20% nitro fuel .... guess i was day dreaming

Have seen more issues with Vspecs than any other engines so wont go down that road.

I have run plenty of AXE myself, even modified a few....... I even had a Inotech XS 400 and XS 600.........even a old Black Magic or two !!!

Anyways as nice as the motors are I am not currently overly impressed with the newest motors, i feel they have been tuned too much for Euro style tracks and lack the bottom end punch I look for in my engines...This is not a insult to AXE or its users, i just find them to be too soft on the trigger........The motors you are using as reference are also pretty soft engines, the OS Speed and GRP are not bottom end motors either, tho the Speed is strongest of the group..................Either way for the cost of the Mamba X1 I truly feel there are better performing engines.... Now not everyone is looking for the most power or torque so maybe my point is moot....But if someone is looking for the best performance at that price point there are better alternatives IMO...not trying to sound like a broken record but a Jammin JPX on a 086 has a pretty good power and RPM advantage over the Mamba......Anyways its only an opinion so no need for anyone to get mad or riled up.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 206
Default

I tend to agree with maximus here the x1 screams on top but is very soft bottom and middle... I will say it is a good motor for a beginner though, easy to tune and not a handful to drive, change the conrod and bearings at 4 gallons and it will treat u well.
FactoryTeam08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SOMEWHERE LUVIN ME SOME RC
Posts: 2,905
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have run plenty of AXE myself, even modified a few....... I even had a Inotech XS 400 and XS 600.........even a old Black Magic or two !!!

Anyways as nice as the motors are I am not currently overly impressed with the newest motors, i feel they have been tuned too much for Euro style tracks and lack the bottom end punch I look for in my engines...This is not a insult to AXE or its users, i just find them to be too soft on the trigger........The motors you are using as reference are also pretty soft engines, the OS Speed and GRP are not bottom end motors either, tho the Speed is strongest of the group..................Either way for the cost of the Mamba X1 I truly feel there are better performing engines.... Now not everyone is looking for the most power or torque so maybe my point is moot....But if someone is looking for the best performance at that price point there are better alternatives IMO...not trying to sound like a broken record but a Jammin JPX on a 086 has a pretty good power and RPM advantage over the Mamba......Anyways its only an opinion so no need for anyone to get mad or riled up.....
so your saying an o.s. speed and a grp are soft ? wow ..... i thought about the jpx's just not really sure of the quality .....i appreciate the input from everyone ...even on the old thread it seems like a mix ....having not run anything over 400 bucks for an engine ....im just looking for good for decent dollars ....seems like there will be equal amounts of plusers and minusers ....then again im not racing national level events ....i have had great luck with the go motors ...having run all variations ...except the .25 and the .28 ....including the sport 3 port ....unlike many i havent had any issues with them except for normal wear ....so if i can get a little more quality with something like the axe motors ...think im keepin it in my cart ...
__________________
LATER COOKIE

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SOMEWHERE LUVIN ME SOME RC
Posts: 2,905
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Strange to hear.
Ive seen the complete opposite.
A sponsored JP driver with hand built motors built by JP himself arrived at the onroad track with 12 yes 12 motors trying to get the edge over guys with lesser motors with no success.
Guess it was the motors.........or was it ???

I own and have sold as well as seen many Axe motors that have been more than reliable and perform well.

Just the other day my X1 could out run a GRP tuned and OS Speed powered buggies never mind jump a table top by a meter and half longer than them, must have been the fuel i used on the practice day ... 20% nitro fuel .... guess i was day dreaming

Have seen more issues with Vspecs than any other engines so wont go down that road.

i think also you will find all types of problems with all types of motors ...whether there 150 bucks or 500 bucks ...to many variables in there ...glad to here you had good luck with yours ....ive seen people blow up and miss tune more engines in the past 2 years it would make your head spin .....
__________________
LATER COOKIE

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SOMEWHERE LUVIN ME SOME RC
Posts: 2,905
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burty View Post
gday there guys,this is my first post here,i just wanted to add my bit if i could,im running the x1 evo at the moment in my mp9,ive got to say maybe maximo got a bad motor,but im up to about 7litres at the moment and this motor hauls,run in was long but it has really come into its own,i love it and will definitely be getting another,it has been nothing but reliable,running the 2050 that i bought with the motor and it just hammers,bottom end is brilliant and the top end screams,my teps always run at about 220,get one you will not be dissapointed,it would pull a truggy along great i would imagine.
yup i run gotechs .21's in my jammin crt now ...so im with you on that ...i think it will have plenty of power for where i race ....and glad to here you had some good luck with them as well ....
__________________
LATER COOKIE

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:14 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net