Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
replacing shocks and differential fluids... >

replacing shocks and differential fluids...

replacing shocks and differential fluids...

Old 11-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default replacing shocks and differential fluids...

i ordered some shocks and differential fluids so i can replace the ones that came with my Jammin X1... i was wondering if i need to take them completely apart and clean them thoroughly before putting the new fluids in them... if i need to clean them, what sort of cleaner do i use...?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flipteg
i ordered some shocks and differential fluids so i can replace the ones that came with my Jammin X1... i was wondering if i need to take them completely apart and clean them thoroughly before putting the new fluids in them... if i need to clean them, what sort of cleaner do i use...?
on the shocks .....if your not rebuilding them ....and if when you unscrew the cap off the top they havent leaked any fluid ...i feel you can just purge the old emulsified fluid out and then re fill them per the instructions ....

if you notice they are low on fluid that means you would need shock rebuild kits ...i have an x1crt so i know that the shock rebuilds are not that expensive and are easy to rebuild .....

on the diffs ...they are not as easy ....the fluid in them gets really gummy ..when i replace my fluids in the diffs ...i use naptha ...you can buy it in the paint section at lowes homedepot ....it will cut the grime off the internal diff gears ...remove all the cross pins and spider gears ....then the planetary gears ....i use a diff dunker ....(gmk supply on amain) ,,,,,,soak them and then clean them off ...re install and then if you have extra gaskets for the diffs ...then i would replace them as well ....then refill them 80-90% to the top and reassemble ....i usually replace the o-rings in the diffs about every 2 race days .....if you do replace the o-rings .....make sure to hit them with like green slime (team associated) or like shock snot(gmk supply) ...it makes them nice and plyable and they will last longer ....obtw if you do rebuild the shocks ....make sure and hit the o-rings in there with green slime as well ......hope that helped ....
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

there are many different things that you can use to clean the diffs.. i just use a mixture of alcohol and a lot of shop rags..
Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

and if your not making an A-main order any time soon.....the GMK diff dunker is basically a Tea dunker......or a Tea Infuser if your lookin online...as typing in Diff dunker gets you No where fast.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
and if your not making an A-main order any time soon.....the GMK diff dunker is basically a Tea dunker......or a Tea Infuser if your lookin online...as typing in Diff dunker gets you No where fast.
yeh but only queers no what a tea infusser is ...lol.......jk ......i should have put a link ,.....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12332

obtw here the link of the google search for diff dunker ...so it my get you something

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...unker&aq=f&oq=
Old 11-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jamminnay
there are many different things that you can use to clean the diffs.. i just use a mixture of alcohol and a lot of shop rags..

yup you can go that route ...and you can also go broke on shop rags ...trust me alcohol sucks for cleaning diff fluids out of gears ....use the naptha one time and you will never go back ....

and integra heres your link for that ...cuz i mean theres no tellin what you get on that search ....

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/fullpr...FQRkswodrjqy2g
Old 11-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i have always used alcohol and shop rags... rags are free from my work so no worries!!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxer
yeh but only queers no what a tea infusser is ...lol.......jk ......i should have put a link ,.....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12332

obtw here the link of the google search for diff dunker ...so it my get you something

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...unker&aq=f&oq=

No when a buddy's trying to find one NOT at A-main..IE locally.....and its not like GMK calls it the diff dunking Infuser...so therefor i needed to do some research to find out what the actual name of these darn things were.....also why i said search Infuser Not diff dunker.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

they're tea dunkers... i saw one at Walmart but it had a small chain instead of a stiff holder... i prefer the stiff holder as it will be easier to swish it around in the Naptha...
Old 11-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

i'm using break/clutch cleaning spray to remove any kind of oil, grease or silicone.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flipteg
they're tea dunkers... i saw one at Walmart but it had a small chain instead of a stiff holder... i prefer the stiff holder as it will be easier to swish it around in the Naptha...
diff dunkers you gotta love em ..and naptha is the bomb ...your good to go

Originally Posted by triplesix
i'm using break/clutch cleaning spray to remove any kind of oil, grease or silicone.
hey bro does that stuff eat the o-rings up ? just curious ...i used to use a product called I.D.RED ......made by a company called zep....we used it on drive packs on copiers ...works like a champ ...but i have a new empoyer now and cant get it for freesucks its way expensive ...but will cut the worst mess you got
Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Naptha.....mmmmmmmm.........carcinogens.......benz ene............yummmmm
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For o-rings I just use simple green. I’ve used simple green on o rings because it degreases them without harming the o-ring. Simple Green is also good to degrease plastics that are greasy or oily. For degreasing metals, I would rather use a solvent such as naphtha.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm gonna ask a few guys at the track this weekend if they brought their diff dunkers.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bed, Bath and Beyond has the same exact tea/diff dunker. Bed,Bath its $3, GMK supply $7. And no i dont shop there, my wife does,lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.