Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
replacing shocks and differential fluids... >

replacing shocks and differential fluids...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

replacing shocks and differential fluids...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moto431
Bed, Bath and Beyond has the same exact tea/diff dunker. Bed,Bath its $3, GMK supply $7. And no i dont shop there, my wife does,lol
lmao where would they be in the store ? row would the be on ?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use Charcoal starter fluid and an old mayonaise jar... works great for cleaning parts with silicone fluid on them. However, fishing tiny parts out is a pain so I added a diff dunker to my last A-Main order. That will pretty much complete my diff / shock cleaning setup.

Somebody above mentioned benzene - I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. If benzene is present at all it's there at ppm levels, at least when we are talking about light petroleum distillates like naphtha. Just wear nitrile gloves when you are washing parts and you should be good to go.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LabRat99
I use Charcoal starter fluid and an old mayonaise jar... works great for cleaning parts with silicone fluid on them. However, fishing tiny parts out is a pain so I added a diff dunker to my last A-Main order. That will pretty much complete my diff / shock cleaning setup.

Somebody above mentioned benzene - I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. If benzene is present at all it's there at ppm levels, at least when we are talking about light petroleum distillates like naphtha. Just wear nitrile gloves when you are washing parts and you should be good to go.
That was more of a joke than anything. It's in your charcoal fluid as well but I'll still have a burger.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You guys may want to try this cleaner we sell here at my work. The part number is 266-5. This solvant is very good for cleaning diffs. It is safe for placstics and o-rings as well. In our industry people use this solvant to clean out industrial glue guns and paint guns.

If you are interested it is really cheap and it can be re-used. No scrubbing and no shop towels needed. Soak for about 10-15 seconds and you are done.

PM for pricing.....
Old 11-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How about that orange glow cleaner solution? Will that work?

Last edited by Kyo83; 03-27-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I clean them out using compressed air. I wrap the diff in a towel and put my air compressor nozzle through it. Then I hold the towel wraped around the diff and air nozzle and blast it with air. All the old diff fluid is on the towel and the diff is generally cleaned and ready for refilling. Its fast easy and effective but you gotta have a compressor.

I dont like having a bunch of chemicals around because I have 2 kids. I always worry a little about the type of effect they will have on the plastics too.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Naptha or Iosol does Not hurt the plastics in any way shape or form....ive left cups by accident over night soaking and have never had a weak cup or warping issue....but i can see your point about the young one's being around that stuff.