R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Arrow Pls help ! ! ! !

hi all, i had been in on-road for quite some time, but never get into off-road. Now thinking of getting into off-road buggy or truggy, any gd buggys or truggys to recommend? I am thinking of getting a hpi firestorm 10T, Is it a gd buggy n gd start for a newbi like me??
J_J4006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to ryanroma Send a message via MSN to ryanroma Send a message via Yahoo to ryanroma

I can recommend the car I have, the Ofna Ultra LX-One, as well as the CEN Matrix TR Arena RTR for a truggy. The Revo is a good truck also, my brother has one. If you are considering racing, of course, buy the kit versions of whatever is a similar vehicle to the ones I've suggested. The CEN Matrix TR is very good from what I've heard.
ryanroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

the Ofna Lx1 is a Base model RTR....not worth much imo....the Cen's arent up to the task either imo....compared to the other brands they fall short.....your an Onroad guy....you'll appreciate the newer breed of buggy's that are more refined and weight tuned......a Lx1 would be like driving a Dump truck compared to a 8ight Rc8 808 Kyo Mugen...there's Tonns of option's for a Pro Kit...it all depends on parts availability locally to you and what brand you want to rock.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
the Ofna Lx1 is a Base model RTR....not worth much imo....the Cen's arent up to the task either imo....compared to the other brands they fall short.....your an Onroad guy....you'll appreciate the newer breed of buggy's that are more refined and weight tuned......a Lx1 would be like driving a Dump truck compared to a 8ight Rc8 808 Kyo Mugen...there's Tonns of option's for a Pro Kit...it all depends on parts availability locally to you and what brand you want to rock.
+1
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

8ight-t the price has dropped so much, great truggy great for anything you choose it for, bashing, racing, ive seen people use them as a road cars. onlything you need if you get it rtr is a throttle servo. also a a jammin crt x2 is a nice kit that you can get. rc8t's by ae are great truggy, very fast and handles very nicely. all of those cars have a buggy version too, 8ight bugggy, but the jammin buggy is an x1x not x2, and the rc8. also you could go for a z01b by odonnells racing, that is what i race, i love the car. also a good roller is a hotbodies d8, it the cheapest buggy around, but it won the worlds.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
+1
+2
hitec 5955tg/steering
ko propo 2367/throttle
m-11
buckeye34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

In my opinion the best ready to run out there right now is the Hyper 7 TQ Black edition. It is track worthy, bash worthy, has a real good engine, Under $300 parts are everywhere, it can be upgraded to full blown race version with very little time and effort, and money. Buy the car for $300, invest $50 into a good stearing servo, and you are golden
Old 11-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquidracer View Post
8ight-t the price has dropped so much, great truggy great for anything you choose it for, bashing, racing, ive seen people use them as a road cars. onlything you need if you get it rtr is a throttle servo. also a a jammin crt x2 is a nice kit that you can get. rc8t's by ae are great truggy, very fast and handles very nicely. all of those cars have a buggy version too, 8ight bugggy, but the jammin buggy is an x1x not x2, and the rc8. also you could go for a z01b by odonnells racing, that is what i race, i love the car. also a good roller is a hotbodies d8, it the cheapest buggy around, but it won the worlds.
+1

I would go with the Losi 8ight-T. It can be had for around $650 and comes with a Spektrum radio! I have one and love it. The truck is tough as nails and handles like a dream. You will eventually blow up the throttle servo though. I replaced mine with a HiTech 645MG ~$35. Losi parts are everywhere and the truck is very easy to work on. Most buggy/truggy designs "borrow" from Losi's layout. I prefer truggys over buggys because they are easier to drive and a bit more durable.

Here is a video I made of my 8-T on the track near my house:
http://www.hobbyzip.com/videos/527/8...c-raceway.html
EastCoasterVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Losi 8ight-t
Collection:Kyosho Turbo Scorpion, Losi 8ight-T race roller, Losi 22-4, Traxxas Slash 4x4 (speedrunner), HPI R40, HPI RS4 3 Evo, HPI RS4, Losi Mini-T, Mugen MRX-3, HPI RS4 Mini Electric, HPI RS4 Mini nitro
DaveNJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Tech Adept

I would go with the 8ight-t or the new 8ight 2.0

I just go the new 2.0 and ran it this past weekend and did pretty well for my first buggy (coming from the oval side of on-road)

I've had the 8ight-t since last Christmas and I love it and its an amazing Truck

I recommend either coming from on-road
Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Thanks a lot guys !

I had contact my local hobby shop, they recommend me a hyper 7, hyper st, or a hyper mini st. I take a look at it, was thinking of getting the mini st due to the price. I had a tight budget.

Anyway, is the mini st a gd car? The price difference between the hyper 7 and mini st is $100 dollars, both are RTR. Still can't decide which one to get.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The Hyper mini is very new, so parts may not be readily available for awhile, also since it is so small, you may have more problems with it, than an 1/8 scale.

It will be harder to work on since its so small, and typically smaller engines are harder to tune, and start, and keep running. If you are new, you should stick with 1/8 scale, you'll have much more fun actually running it. It will be less hassles, and you can get a ton of support from the people on this forum
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you going to be bashing or racing or both? If racing, make sure there are enough vehicles similar to yours in your area to make a class. That was my first mistake. I bought a Jammin' CRT .5, took it out to the local track and NOBODY else had one. They offered to let me run with gas truck, but that class was dead here too.

I ended up buying a used Kyosho roller locally, and have been running 1/8 buggy with that. I love it and incidentally the bigger cars are MUCH easier to drive than the 1/12 scale cars on the big tracks.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.
LabRat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
The current Cen Matrix is a bit heavy but the new Matrix 2 is a lot lighter. The dry weight of the Matrix 2 is 7 pounds even. That is comparable to the "newer breed of buggies" and I'm sure it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than the kits listed above.

Last edited by Tree; 11-03-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat99 View Post
Are you going to be bashing or racing or both? If racing, make sure there are enough vehicles similar to yours in your area to make a class. That was my first mistake. I bought a Jammin' CRT .5, took it out to the local track and NOBODY else had one. They offered to let me run with gas truck, but that class was dead here too.

I ended up buying a used Kyosho roller locally, and have been running 1/8 buggy with that. I love it and incidentally the bigger cars are MUCH easier to drive than the 1/12 scale cars on the big tracks.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

For now, I didn't think of going for races, jus wanna bash around the grass area near my house and jumping off ramps. so, a hyper st or a hyper 7 will be better?? Is the wear and tear of a buggy n tuggy higher than a truck?