Wiki Posts
Search

TOO MUCH MOTOR?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TOO MUCH MOTOR?!?

Is it possible to have to powerful of a motor in a truggy that you will have driveline problems? Reason I ask is today at a race a friend of mine has gone through 3 complete center diffs and is blowing them in 5 minute qualifiers. He has a new LRP .28 Truggy motor. He went through 2 stock diffs and one diff from another brand truggy just to see if it held up and it did not. He is not new at shimming diffs and they look shimmed right. Some guys have said it is too much motor that the LRP is Crazy and is causing the failures. 3 other of the same truggies out there with no problems and no others I have heard of have had that same failure. What do you guys think?
Old 11-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Eeeehm... must be something wrong with the truggy You cant work throug 3 center diffs with any engine... Maybe if you run brushless with a NEU or something but with a regular nitro engine, no, I think the problem is the quality on the drivetrain. Ever tried to change the center diff to another one? Buy the Xray XT8 one and you will not be disappointed.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

do you know what weight silicone he's using? may not be filling it up? sounds like he's generating too much heat in the gears and they are breaking under the stress..
Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by buckeye34
do you know what weight silicone he's using? may not be filling it up? sounds like he's generating too much heat in the gears and they are breaking under the stress..
That is what it sounds like. I think he is running like 7 or 10k not sure. One of the cups was actually melted.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitroracer_swe
Eeeehm... must be something wrong with the truggy You cant work throug 3 center diffs with any engine... Maybe if you run brushless with a NEU or something but with a regular nitro engine, no, I think the problem is the quality on the drivetrain. Ever tried to change the center diff to another one? Buy the Xray XT8 one and you will not be disappointed.
I do not think it is anything wrong with the truggy at all. We installed a completely different diff cup and internals from a OCM center Diff what has no problems at all and it did the same thing. The other guys running the same truggy had zero problems at all and one was running a OS speed .21 and the other a RB C6. They think it is the motor too being too much. I run a GO .21 7pt and a AXE Rossi evolution .21 with no problems.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vnmsgt
That is what it sounds like. I think he is running like 7 or 10k not sure. One of the cups was actually melted.
if the cups are melting, then he must not be putting enough fluid in diff. or he has a leak and is losing it all or too thin on fluid. what truggy is it?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by buckeye34
if the cups are melting, then he must not be putting enough fluid in diff. or he has a leak and is losing it all or too thin on fluid. what truggy is it?
It is a Caster K8T. There are 5 of us locally running it and 4 of us are just fine. He just got it and was only his second time out with it and was just weird. I had a friend with a OS .30 on his ST-RR and could not keep the driveline together at all. Went down to a .21 and not a problem since either.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Chris maybe with the bigger motor he has to run a different ratio, different tooth clutchbell and spur. it is worth looking at since he obviously paid good money for the motor. maybe the ratio he is running is turning the rpms to fast causing the center dif to burn up.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Euro Stealth
Chris maybe with the bigger motor he has to run a different ratio, different tooth clutchbell and spur. it is worth looking at since he obviously paid good money for the motor. maybe the ratio he is running is turning the rpms to fast causing the center dif to burn up.
He went up from a stock 13 tooth clutch bell to a 15 tooth and put in the smallest ristrictor he had, all to try and tame the motor down and it still did it.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ok

tell your friend to put about 15 to 20 thousand in the center diff but dont over feel it what is happaning is he os over feeling it and it is making alot of heat in side the diff already and when you over feel it there is not any room for the heat to exspand these diffes in the cars are running about 150 degrees or more after a 5 min qual so feel is about 40 percent less than what he was normaly doing and a little grease aroung the inside of teh diff house and gears never heart anything.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i am sure that the diffs are just not being filled properly.. .i would also check the bearings on the outdrives and make sure they are good..
Old 11-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jamminnay
i am sure that the diffs are just not being filled properly.. .i would also check the bearings on the outdrives and make sure they are good..
+1
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Make sure the front and/or the rear brake is not dragging. Also, check the front and rear drive train to make sure nothing is locked up or wrong there. If there is tension in either the front or the back drive train including the brakes, then the center diff gears will be spinning alot causing extra heat and wear.... good luck
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)

Originally Posted by vnmsgt
He went up from a stock 13 tooth clutch bell to a 15 tooth and put in the smallest ristrictor he had, all to try and tame the motor down and it still did it.
just remember that a smaller restrictor equals more torque
Old 11-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Cool, thanks guys! I will let him know. Was wierd for me to see since I never saw that before. All good assumptions, hope it works out for this coming weeks state race where we are all racing including him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.