Search

Engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Engine trouble

Hey guys,
As the title says i'm having a bit of trouble with my ~5 yr old nitro engine. I haven't used it for a few years and i just recently finished unfreezing it. But now i have to replace the backplate gasket, heat sink gasket, and some screws. I have some RTV high-temp silicone sealant but i'm not sure if i should use it on the heat sink along with the backplate. Also, do any of you know where i can get cheap screws besides a local hobby shop? HPI's Nitro Star 15 FE engine has such odd screws... like the pull start (3 x 6 mm) screw, and the heat sink screws. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Don't use anything on the head (heat Sink). If the head has shims, just make sure there are no bends or kinks in them. As far as screws go as long as you know the specs of the screw you can get them anywhere. Most of us get Tony's Screw Kits.
http://www.tonysscrews.com/main.sc

If you can't afford a few screws you are gonna be in trouble trying to keep a nitro going. I am not being mean but there is always something to spend money on in this hobby.

I do always recommend doing business with your Local Hobby Shop.
Without the shops alot of us would not have tracks to run on.
T.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Hey thanks for the info. It's not that screws are too expensive for me, it's just that i hate having to pay like $10 to ship a couple of screws. As for the heat sink thing, every time i pull on the pull-start cord it seems to be leaking air/oil at the contact point. I can't take off the heat sink right now because 2 of the screws are stripped but i'll have them taken out with a help from a friend soon.

Edit: Oh and those screws i need are actually Round Head M2x6mm and M2x18mm screws... which seem to be impossible to find. There doesn't seem to be any designation of the pitch with the "M2x6mm" notation.