R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default engine tuning question: still too lean...?

i think i got my engine tuned but every time i clear out the fuel by running flat out for a few seconds and then come to a complete stop, the engine will sound as if it is idling too lean... this only last for about half a second to a second and then it goes back to sounding tuned... do i need to richen the LSN or HSN some more...?
flipteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
i think i got my engine tuned but every time i clear out the fuel by running flat out for a few seconds and then come to a complete stop, the engine will sound as if it is idling too lean... this only last for about half a second to a second and then it goes back to sounding tuned... do i need to richen the LSN or HSN some more...?

First guess would be a too lean HSN and a fat LSN. What are your temps at the end of the tank. Sounds like you've fallen victim to a "false idle". Which basically means your idle gap is open to far but is being compensated by excessive fuel in the carb.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi, i just realized that i had 2 spacers in place for the glow plug... i changed my glow plug today and as i usually do, i left the spacer in the heat sink so i don't have to turn the car upside down every time i take out and reinstall the glow plug... the thing is, the new glow plug that i installed has a the spacer that doesn't come off the glow plug and i completely forgotten about it...

would have 2 spacers there contribute to this problem...?
flipteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
hi, i just realized that i had 2 spacers in place for the glow plug... i changed my glow plug today and as i usually do, i left the spacer in the heat sink so i don't have to turn the car upside down every time i take out and reinstall the glow plug... the thing is, the new glow plug that i installed has a the spacer that doesn't come off the glow plug and i completely forgotten about it...

would have 2 spacers there contribute to this problem...?
yes...lol having 2 washers will lower your compression a lot, causing you to over lean your engine looking for power. i would fatten her up and make sure you have only 1 washer under ur plug.