R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to backwoodsRC
Smile lrp..

lrp .28 is a mean motor for the money.. im not sure what all size's they make...
backwoodsRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The RB S3 and Novarossi N21bf are both very good engines for under $200. Both are easy to tune and last a long time with proper care.

If you use a JP2 pipe with the Nova, it will have more top end than the S3.
rced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWC View Post
The longevity of the VG is questionable. I had one. It ran great and had smooth controlable power with a JP3. But, it only lasted about 2 gallons and the front bearing started to puke. And the tune wasnt very consistent. When i tuned it for optimum power the temps would rise above my comfort zone but when i would richen to cool her down it would be a turd. There was like a small window that took a while to find, but once you did like i said it ran great. It was good on the tight track i go to. I still would not reccomend it though. Ive read and heard guys are not getting them to last much longer than 2 gal.
+2
I had one that didn't last very long either. Up to the 2 gallon mark it started on the first try and the carb was easy to tune but it was low on power and after the 2 gallon mark stuff started failing on it. And it wasn't due to lack of maintenance or error. Google it if you don't believe me. I don't think this will make your list anyway though

I'm trying a RB S5 next year. If you could find it somewhere like Tower with a coupon it could come in right at about $200 I'm sure a few of the other engines mentioned would be great too. Just stay away from the OS VG if the price tempts you!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

the rossi t21bf is a monster motor for the money... you also cannot go wrong with the rb s3 from what i have seen..
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to nitroracer_swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWC View Post
The longevity of the VG is questionable. I had one. It ran great and had smooth controlable power with a JP3. But, it only lasted about 2 gallons and the front bearing started to puke. And the tune wasnt very consistent. When i tuned it for optimum power the temps would rise above my comfort zone but when i would richen to cool her down it would be a turd. There was like a small window that took a while to find, but once you did like i said it ran great. It was good on the tight track i go to. I still would not reccomend it though. Ive read and heard guys are not getting them to last much longer than 2 gal.
Yeah, I had a VG in my Xray XB8 TQ last year, and it lasted about 2-3 gallons... Very bad.. Then I bought a RB WS7II, it lasted almost 8 gallons before the glowplug lost the wire and it went down in the engine... The WS7 is a great engine, but costs waaaay over $200...
nitroracer_swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

+1 on the Go Tech 7 port turbo. Plenty of top end to keep up with all the high dollar mills out there.

I am running a Go Tech 5 port turbo .21 in my truggy and several people came to ask me what I was running. They couldn't believe the performance I was getiing out of an engine I paid $180.00 for.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

The Go-Tech 7 Port with the 0801 go-tech pipe is the sickest engine pipe combo ever. Sucks that i have only gotten a gallon through and had to put it away for the winter
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote