Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA PICCO OR HYPER 7 TQ RTR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default OFNA PICCO OR HYPER 7 TQ RTR?

Between these two cars which one would be better for a beginning racer in 1/8th scale? I have had many years with electric and want to make the jump without spending a ton.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can not go wrong with the ofna picco, good buggy, great motor
Old 10-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No question the Picco all the way
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO.. the only thing good about the Picco/9.5 buggy is the engine and the shocks, besides that you will have a 9.5 buggy aka THE COW!!! the 9.5 buggy is more of a basher and the H7 is a pretty good racer...
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are both legal for racing? If the Picco is based on the 9.5, is it still legal width for racing?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
IMO.. the only thing good about the Picco/9.5 buggy is the engine and the shocks, besides that you will have a 9.5 buggy aka THE COW!!! the 9.5 buggy is more of a basher and the H7 is a pretty good racer...

+1. I raced the Hyper 7 for awhile. the 3 biggest differences are the Hyper has a much lower profile/ride height than the 9.5, making it much more stable, and much better handling, They Hyper is also lighter which translates to all of the above plus more speed, better jumping. the Hyper also has a better center of gravity, because the heaviest components are staged more to the middle. The Buggy was easy to work on, fast as hell, great handling, and cheep parts which can be found in alot of places. Its also cheep, and easy to upgrade it to full blown race version, with very little effort, and money, and FYI there is no such thing as any RTR that comes with a racing engine. They all pretty much suck, as do the servo's, that's just something you'll have to invest in
Old 10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by ESmith
Are both legal for racing? If the Picco is based on the 9.5, is it still legal width for racing?
If you are new to racing, it will not matter, unless you are seriously going to enter races that are sanctioned. Your local track will not care what you run, as long as you run Novice, once you get up to sportsman, or expert, the other drivers might complain
Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know the specs on these two?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Lord

You should be on Ofna's message boards, they will have all the info, and specs you desire.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

The best RTR vehicle out right now that is in the $300 range is the Hobao Hyper 7 Black Edition. I just recently purchased one through tower hobbies and got another $20 bucks off that and now they have a sale going on for $30-$40 off with ad number. I have been doing research on all the RTR vehicle's for the past month and decided to go with the hyper. It still has tons of upgrades and you can buy a clear JConcept body at amain hobbies. that has been the only place Ive found that has a clear body. But other than that, the motor is extremely solid with a race legal .21 hyper turbo w/ pull start. the 14mm shocks are really tough. The only things you might want to buy for it, would be a aluminum clutch that Ofna makes, a steering servo (high torque) and some tires. other than that, you would be happy only paying $299 for something that will keep up with some of the new models out there! I dont work for Ofna, so i dont benefit by any of this, but you do! Holler at me if you have any questions!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Even thought the Picco has the big bore shocks, I think the Hyper is gonna be a better choice if you're going racing.

Stuff you'll definitely want to upgrade:
Rechargeable receiver pack
Better steering servo
Tires

With those changes you should be good to go. Good luck.