R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yeah i know its an old thread, i dont want to hear it.

out of all you that run or ran the m2c 4 shoe clutch, what spring/shoe combo did you run? What kind of track? Thinking about plunking down some cash on one and want to get it as best as i can without buying 80 different shoes...

Thanks for any input!!!!!!!!!!!!
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #32
Tech Adept

I've been to a race with the M2C Racing guys in Savannah, GA and they are nice people

and there products are really durable so I use them.

And everyone else around here runs their clutch
Old 11-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power View Post
yeah i know its an old thread, i dont want to hear it.

out of all you that run or ran the m2c 4 shoe clutch, what spring/shoe combo did you run? What kind of track? Thinking about plunking down some cash on one and want to get it as best as i can without buying 80 different shoes...

Thanks for any input!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have tried every combination of M2C shoes possible. Loved the way they worked but the aluminum always came off the shoe and stuck to the clutch bell. This destroyed the shoes. 3 races tops, if you deburred shoes & took a drum sander on your dremel to clean up clutch bell. Try the answer-rc setup. You won't be disapointed. You will get long wear shoes & 3 sets of springs; 0.9, 1.0, 1.1 all for the price of or less than most other brands.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Where do you get them?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
Where do you get them?
www.answer-rcusa.com
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post
I have tried every combination of M2C shoes possible. Loved the way they worked but the aluminum always came off the shoe and stuck to the clutch bell. This destroyed the shoes. 3 races tops, if you deburred shoes & took a drum sander on your dremel to clean up clutch bell. Try the answer-rc setup. You won't be disapointed. You will get long wear shoes & 3 sets of springs; 0.9, 1.0, 1.1 all for the price of or less than most other brands.
you had too much stall on the shoes you were using.....if they slag there Too hott.....IE Too much spring or slipping....there is a fine line to buying the right shoes with the right springs for the right motor and track condition.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Believe it or not I've used this one for about 3 gallons and the shoes are only about half worn.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGWY3&P=7
It was the only one they had at my LHS when I got my OS21VG engine there. That may have been part of the reason that it lasted so long now that I know all about the engine! But I was afraid to buy it becuase it looked so cheap and it turned out to be a reliable little clutch.

What bothers me now that I have a full season of experience and have been reading up on stuff and I have no idea what the weight and hardness of the shoes are and the number on the springs. They are Teflon shoes. With my knowledge, if the clutch was setup to give me a little more punch or whatever I would guess first that the engine was tuned better that day. I don't know what to listen for or notice yet on clutch tuning. It will be something I try to learn next season for sure

The only problem I had with it is after my pull start broke half way through the season and I started to use a starter box, the last 3 or 4 times I went to practice the flywheel nut was coming loose by the end of the day no matter how much loctite and heavy wrenching I used on it. I think the collet is now worn. Is it common for the collets to get worn out from using a starter box?? How long does a collet last usually depending on how much it's taken apart and re-assembled, etc??

I'm tempted to go cheap again and get a fresh one for the $15 and see how it holds up with a more powerfull engine but I seriously don't know what to do yet. There are a lot of options and opinions. Plus I don't want to buy something that wont' fit either. What to do...

Thought I would share for those on a budget.
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

that hpi clutch wont last very long with a real race .21 bolted to the chassy....the shoes are plastic and the springs are 1.0's....that combo will run good on a gear reduction savage that's not very hard on clutch's pending on the motor....so they will last multiple gallons in a stock savage....but wont do you any good in racing...as for better clutch's......M2C is imo the best on the market....its a little expensive at first...but once you get the shoe and spring combo down you'll never go back to a 3 shoe Ever.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tip. It would be a shame to destroy a perfectly good clutch for stock/sport applications with a better engine. I like how HPI sells collets separtate so I'll just freshen it up a little and I'll keep it reserved for my other sport engine and start looking for something better for my engine upgrade!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote