Wiki Posts
Search

Too much pinch, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Too much pinch, what now?

So, i pulled apart my TRX 3.3 today and attempted to pinch using the hose clamp method.

Didn't seem like I over pinched the cylinder, but now it is really really tight. I haven't started it because i'm fairly certain something bad will happen. It's much tighter than new.

Any ideas on what to do now? Should I just start it and see what happens, or can anyone recommend some ideas to loosen it up? If I force the piston in with no hose clamp, reheat and quench would it possibly open up?

On some older motors i've pinched, it took a lot more force to pinch. This sleeve was very soft in comparison. Not sure why, I think it's ABC.

Maybe heating the whole motor with a blowtorch and firing it up the first time would work.

Mark
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I can fix it, I have fixed these before. I will make a plug and force it in the sleeve and make it bigger. Then resize it if I need to. I also have modded the 3.3 if you want it modded just send the whole motor to me.

Those cheap pinchers are worthless.

Pm me or e-mail [email protected]

Rex
Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

More than likely you made it out of round with that hose clamp suedo-tool. Send it to Rex and he'll straighten it out for you.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I will likely take you up on some of your services at a later time - this motor is trashed so I don't want to put any money into it. But I have another 3.3 which will need to be pinched eventually, and i'm going to treat that one better.

Mark

Originally Posted by 22Racer
I can fix it, I have fixed these before. I will make a plug and force it in the sleeve and make it bigger. Then resize it if I need to. I also have modded the 3.3 if you want it modded just send the whole motor to me.

Those cheap pinchers are worthless.

Pm me or e-mail [email protected]

Rex
Old 10-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mud99
So, i pulled apart my TRX 3.3 today and attempted to pinch using the hose clamp method.

Didn't seem like I over pinched the cylinder, but now it is really really tight. I haven't started it because i'm fairly certain something bad will happen. It's much tighter than new.

Any ideas on what to do now? Should I just start it and see what happens, or can anyone recommend some ideas to loosen it up? If I force the piston in with no hose clamp, reheat and quench would it possibly open up?

On some older motors i've pinched, it took a lot more force to pinch. This sleeve was very soft in comparison. Not sure why, I think it's ABC.

Maybe heating the whole motor with a blowtorch and firing it up the first time would work.

Mark
I wouldn't start it up. Even if you pre-heat it and it seems loose enough to start, it's likely to elongate the crank hole on the conrod and then destroy the rear bearing. Don't ask me how I know
Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If the motor is just a trash motor like you say then I would heat the crap out of it and fire it up. What is it going to hurt? You can still send it back to traxxas, or take it to your lhs that participates in the engine swap program and get a new one for 115 bucks, not worth worrying about.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I say fire it up and let it EAT!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Adept

+1. Fill it generously with marvel mystery oil and richen the needle settings. She might run for a lil while.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

if you heat it again with no clamp it should stretch out a bit.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Take it out of the engine, and heat it in the oven, or with a heat gun to like 500 degrees, for 15-20 minutes, it'll expand back to where you should be good to run
Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

i got a buddy that pinches his own. i think he has pinched four or five. two of his have borken rods right at the top by the piston. the other one locks at tdc only during full throttle runs down the straight. the one he pinched for me i got a bout three more gallons on but the engine has like 13 or 14 gallons on. still runs great. i say if you dont want to spend money run it and see what happens
Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Sounds like there is nothing to lose. Heat the engine up real good and let her rip!