R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default New buggy advice, i'm stuck!

Hey guy's, did my first race this past weekend and i'm hooked however my kyosho sports wasn't really up to the job, although i barely crashed the mud/rain etc really took its tool on my car and there is over 110 worth of parts needed to get it spot on again!
I have been considering an upgrade but didn't think to do it this early however i don't want to poor 110-120 into a car that's effectively worth 80 now.

I'm on a bit of a budget to get me through the winter race season, obviously i'd like an mp9 but i can't afford 500 then a set of servos and then an engine and pipe etc. I've been looking around and can get a losi 8ight kit for 275 delivered, a losi 8ight race roller for 260 delivered (i'm guessing the kit would be the better way to go as it may have parts that the race roller wouldn't), a hotbodies d8 and at a stretch the new x-ray xb808.

Obviously the losi 8ight is a fair bit cheaper but i have read/heard that they wear out pretty quick, that is one of my main concerns as i want this to last without having to spend a huge amount on unnecessary parts. The x-ray seems like a lovely kit but would be pushing my budget as i need to get servos and an engine etc yet. The hotbodies d8 seems quite undiscovered here in the uk or just not very popular although i'm not sure why and i'm yet to find someone who has a good stock of spares.

What are your thoughts on this? What would be the best kit for me to go for both budget and performance wise? I'm also looking for something very durable. Both the x-ray and losi are quite popular at my local track, there were a couple of d8's there too.
I have found I'm quite a smooth driver and try not to get too sideways!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and give me your thoughts.
hugh_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh_b View Post
Hey guy's, did my first race this past weekend and i'm hooked however my kyosho sports wasn't really up to the job, although i barely crashed the mud/rain etc really took its tool on my car and there is over 110 worth of parts needed to get it spot on again!
I have been considering an upgrade but didn't think to do it this early however i don't want to poor 110-120 into a car that's effectively worth 80 now.
Hehe, another addicted racer. Hey man, we got what you need. hehe.

Quote:
I'm on a bit of a budget to get me through the winter race season, obviously i'd like an mp9 but i can't afford 500 then a set of servos and then an engine and pipe etc. I've been looking around and can get a losi 8ight kit for 275 delivered, a losi 8ight race roller for 260 delivered (i'm guessing the kit would be the better way to go as it may have parts that the race roller wouldn't), a hotbodies d8 and at a stretch the new x-ray xb808.
The Losi kit and Race Roller are basicly the same car, with the exception of the tires. The Kit comes with silver step pins and the Race Roller comes with red.... darnit... red compound tires of a different tread. I forget which. Regardless, same car. One is built for you, the other you must build yourself.

Quote:
Obviously the losi 8ight is a fair bit cheaper but i have read/heard that they wear out pretty quick, that is one of my main concerns as i want this to last without having to spend a huge amount on unnecessary parts. The x-ray seems like a lovely kit but would be pushing my budget as i need to get servos and an engine etc yet. The hotbodies d8 seems quite undiscovered here in the uk or just not very popular although i'm not sure why and i'm yet to find someone who has a good stock of spares.
I raced a Losi 8ight (kit) for half of a season this last year. It came out shining at the end of the races and was a very good car. Wear was on par with any other buggy. Basicly, the myth of the 8ight being a fast wearing car is usually from people that didn't maintain it. It's a good car, all in all. It also doesn't require any aftermarket parts to make it a winner. All I added to mine was the adjustable aluminum pivots, which added some strength and tuning options.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on this? What would be the best kit for me to go for both budget and performance wise? I'm also looking for something very durable. Both the x-ray and losi are quite popular at my local track, there were a couple of d8's there too.
I have found I'm quite a smooth driver and try not to get too sideways!
Thanks for taking the time to read this and give me your thoughts.
Have you considered the AE RC8? It's a bit cheaper (here in the states) than the 808 or 8ight, and is an amazing buggy! It handles great, has an excellent track record and doesn't have some of the little problems the 8ight has. I personally believe it's on par, or better than most the buggies out there. One of the only reasons I didn't buy it was because it doesn't come in a kit. ...and many guys at my track are using it. I try to be a little different. hehe.

Good luck with your choice, whichever way you go. Welcome to racing. If you play it right, you won't have to spend too much money, but still have a combo that'll take you to the top of the A-Main.
boostfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfiend View Post

I raced a Losi 8ight (kit) for half of a season this last year. It came out shining at the end of the races and was a very good car. Wear was on par with any other buggy. Basicly, the myth of the 8ight being a fast wearing car is usually from people that didn't maintain it. It's a good car, all in all. It also doesn't require any aftermarket parts to make it a winner. All I added to mine was the adjustable aluminum pivots, which added some strength and tuning options.
+1

Most honest and accurate statement I've read about the 8ight.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

That was a very good statement regarding the 8 I was looking(at my normal go to place) and found the 8 roller for $509

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idProduct=5216

Depending on what all you have to purchase they have up to $50 in coupons.

I run the Losi myself and I have ran a lot of buggies over the year. It does not wear fast and just like any buggy on the market will require maintenace to keep it at 100%

If you run in the mud and rain a lot you will need a solid maintenance program. We had to do this at the worlds and basically tear the buggies down after each mud run. This keeps things from rusting and wearing out. My 2.0 basically came out fresh after the event was over.
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote