R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default high idle

i know ive read somewhere about the solution to this problem but i cant find it again....

motor runs fine, but after letting off the throttle the engine has a high idle for two or three seconds then drops down quickly to my normal idle and everything is all good.

its a vspec - ive tried small adjustments to my lsn without much improvement...?
xyzyx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mugen9112

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzyx00 View Post
i know ive read somewhere about the solution to this problem but i cant find it again....

motor runs fine, but after letting off the throttle the engine has a high idle for two or three seconds then drops down quickly to my normal idle and everything is all good.

its a vspec - ive tried small adjustments to my lsn without much improvement...?
is your throttle linkage set properly? If it's not then it can potentially cause the engine to not go to idle until you hit the brakes. Check the stop collar on the throttle side...
Mugen9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
JJY
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Low speed needle too rich and idle gap too large. Lean low speed needle til idle stays high for 10-15 seconds then lower the idle with the idle gap screw. You will prabaly need to richen the high side a little after doing this as well.
JJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJY View Post
Low speed needle too rich and idle gap too large. Lean low speed needle til idle stays high for 10-15 seconds then lower the idle with the idle gap screw. You will prabaly need to richen the high side a little after doing this as well.
+ 1
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJY View Post

+2 spot on.

its just a sign of the low end needle being rich. keep leaning the bottom end by small turns then have a long run to clean it out and bring it back. keep doing it until the idle stays at a contant high for around 20secs or more.

you will need to lower the idle screw as you lean out the bottom as the idle will raise because of the leaning.

when you have finished leaning the LSN and the idle is staying constant and you have a fairly good tuned HSN put a tank of nitro in and run it fairy hard til it reaches temp 90c+ and it is about half tank full and bring it back to you hard. when you stop it should stay a contant idle.

now you can try pinching the fuel line about 1 inch away from the inlet. it should only raise a couple hundred rpm then die. if it raises a fair amount and takes 5+ secs to stall its still too rich on the LSN. if it doesn't raise rpm and just dies quick then the LSN is too lean.

this is just a good test to make sure you havn't adjust the LSN too lean and possibly kill some glow plugs before races

what you have had is a high idle hiding the rich bottom end. once you have tuned it correct you will have a much cleaner punch and faster transition to your HSN which will in effect give you faster pick up...

once you have the pinch test to about 3secs and only a slight raise in rpm before it dies then you can run it on the track at race speeds around the slower corners and let it bog a little like other cars were around. drive it like that for a while let it fuel up if it is going to. come to a stop after doing the slower corner count to 5 then punch it hard. you can get the extra 5% of pick up by leaning if you find it still slightly over fueling and also better run time here as your getting the LSN a lean as possible while still being safe ont he motor so when your tapping it around the corners etc its now not wasteing nitro..

must have felt like typing
Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Tech Adept

thanks guys- now i do remember reading that the lsn was too rich but at first i didnt put 2 and 2 togather as far as the other adjustments. deffinatly something im gonna adjust the next time out....

this should be posted as a sticky somewhere, great info!
xyzyx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzyx00 View Post
thanks guys- now i do remember reading that the lsn was too rich but at first i didnt put 2 and 2 togather as far as the other adjustments. deffinatly something im gonna adjust the next time out....

this should be posted as a sticky somewhere, great info!
hey did u get this fixed...i have exactly the same issue...
boomtheroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lets start a countdown on how long it takes the mods to move this thread.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
lets start a countdown on how long it takes the mods to move this thread.
why is that?
boomtheroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtheroom View Post
why is that?
It should be in the nitro engine section
Sponsored Links