R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   help tuning Ofna Force .28 engine... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/250101-help-tuning-ofna-force-28-engine.html)

flipteg 10-27-2008 10:30 AM

help tuning Ofna Force .28 engine...

i have an Ofna Force .28... i know it's not the best engine out there but i'm still learning...

my friend has a stock Mini MGT 3.0 and during break-in, his truck produces a lot of smoke... my engine on the other hand does not produce nearly as much smoke... i tried to tune my engine so that i can see smoke coming from the exhaust when i am on the throttle... but there are still times i can't really see the smoke... i don't know if it's because of the wind when the buggy is going 30+ miles per hour... the Mini MGT 3.0 exhaust is located behind the truck... i'm thinking that the reason why there seems to be a lot of smoke with the MGT is probably because the exhaust is being shielded by the body from the wind...

i've tuned my buggy to both ends of being too rich and being too lean... with little smoke that the Force engine is producing, if i try to richen the mixture to get more smoke, it already starts showing signs of being too rich... even when the mixture is so rich that the engine is already drowning and gurgling, it still doesn't produce anywhere near as much smoke as the MGT and i'm not sure if there is something wrong... we are both using the same fuel from the same container...

flipteg 10-27-2008 05:25 PM

anyone...? is it safe to just tune an engine off of sound and performance as long as some smoke is coming out of the exhaust...?

Nixon327 10-27-2008 05:28 PM

it could be the fuel you are using. what fuel are you using?

flipteg 10-27-2008 05:32 PM

hi, we're using O'Donnell 20% fuel...

Nixon327 10-27-2008 05:42 PM

I never really noticed any smoke coming from my force .28. when I was running odonnell 20 %. my engine always ran around 215 degrees. I switched to byrons on my novarossi and it smokes alot compared to odonell. just trying to help.

flipteg 10-27-2008 07:04 PM

hi, i will just tune it off of sound and performance as long as there is some smoke... i already did my 12th tank, including break in, and it seems like all i'm doing when the thing is running is tuning it...

franklucas 10-27-2008 07:53 PM

i used to run odonnel 30 and it did not produce as much smoke as the trinity race 30 i run now and if i remember correctly the smoke might of even been a litter whiter harder to see

mracer 10-28-2008 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by franklucas (Post 4985393)
i used to run odonnel 30 and it did not produce as much smoke as the trinity race 30 i run now and if i remember correctly the smoke might of even been a litter whiter harder to see

A few of my friends run the OD 30% and it seems like the same thing. I don't think the smoke is as visible with this fuel.

flipteg 10-31-2008 06:08 PM

hi again, i was able to properly tune my engine... but when i do a high speed run, once i stop the car the following split second, the engine will sound as if it is running lean and then it will immediately return to running tuned... i was wondering if this is normal...

moeman 11-02-2008 09:45 AM

Richen the low end needle an hour or two. You should be good.