R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default MBX6 stability

Hi,

I am driving at the moment the Jammin Truggy and Buggy. Now it is time for a new buggy for next race-saison. I am interested in the Mugen MBX6 Buggy. But during the last couple of weeks I heard several times that the MBX6 is not as robust as the MBX5r or MBX5 prospec.

I will be sure that the MBX6 is a good choice before ordering it.

May you tell me your experience?

Thanks in advance
racer_hh
racer_hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If by "robust" they meant heavy, then no, it's not as heavy by some 10 oz. I think if you read R/C Car's review of it you will probably want to buy one.

Edit: to elaborate, the car is made with all of the same quality and strength that the previous ones were (I just built mine this weekend). It seems so durable that it's difficult to see where all the weight came off of it.

Last edited by Davidka; 10-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have beat the tar out of mine and it is still going strong. I have maybe 2 to 3 gallons through it already and all intact. I have ran 2 30 min mains on it and not one broken part or loosened screw. Tough and fast with lots of corner speed
katjim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Your title mentions stability and then you ask about weight or durability. The new car is just as durable as the old one. It's is lighter and less stable.

Maybe with time setups will get more stable.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
Your title mentions stability and then you ask about weight or durability. The new car is just as durable as the old one. It's is lighter and less stable.

Maybe with time setups will get more stable.
I disagree 1000000%. I have 3 weekends on my MBX6 now & it is WAAAYYY more stable than the MBX5 (that I just parted out), the RC8 (that I hardly drive because the MBX6 is so much better) & the Losi 8 I sold last year.

Way more stable, lighter & just as durable as the old Mugens.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMike View Post
I disagree 1000000%. I have 3 weekends on my MBX6 now & it is WAAAYYY more stable than the MBX5 (that I just parted out), the RC8 (that I hardly drive because the MBX6 is so much better) & the Losi 8 I sold last year.

+1

ive had mine for 1 proper race day at my local club

in this race day with horrific conditions my lap times were more consistent, my average lap has dropped and my overall times are quicker than when i had the 808 or rc8

hands down mugen is the nicest car ive owned!!
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Hi thanks for the replies.

Yes maybe it is not clear but I mean both of it and thought I can summarize it as stability.

Ok the MBX6 is stable so the driver is able to run consistent lap times. This is great and really important.

But in my opinion it is as well very important to have a durable buggy because if you must stop the race due to a technical defect like broken plastic arms or broken CF towers, you can not win.

And so I hope you can tell me more about your experience with the durability of the MBX6 and its components (plastic and towers).

Thanks
racer_hh
racer_hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Tech Master

I have between 5 & 6 track hours with nothing broken. Many BAD crashes + I let everybody at the track drive it. If you break those CF shock towers you did not deserve to win anyway. I don't understand why so many people are worries about the CF shock towers. I ran the RC8 for more than a year now & the towers look fine. I'm sure that the Mugens are even tougher. The car is solid. If you break a part on it, you would have on any other buggy too.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Quote:
The car is solid. If you break a part on it, you would have on any other buggy too.
That quote says it all. It's very solid and if you break it, then any other buggy you could be driving would have broken too. I've had quite a few buggy's over the years, truggy's too for that matter, and the MBX6 has impressed me more than any other in terms of stability and handling. I've had it during two full race days so far and I feel more comfortable with it every minute I drive it.
jaylude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylude22 View Post
That quote says it all. It's very solid and if you break it, then any other buggy you could be driving would have broken too. I've had quite a few buggy's over the years, truggy's too for that matter, and the MBX6 has impressed me more than any other in terms of stability and handling. I've had it during two full race days so far and I feel more comfortable with it every minute I drive it.
+1. Agree with it all. I logged 8 hours on the car last Thursday, in addition 2 race nights. Theres a big table top with a double on top of it at my track I just cant get through fast enough. I flipped, crashed, cart wheeled over and over trying to improve in that section and didn't break anything.
Darin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:

I dont agree with the stabilty, the 5R is bar far more stable than the 6, this does not make it a better buggy just more stable... the 6 out of the box is not good on rough tracks it gets thrown around with the kit springs, setup changes will help stability though. Funny you say the MBX6 is better than the RC8 as my 6 drives very much like my RC8.

The 6 seems to be (too early to definetly say yet) as durable as the 5r and is much lighter though.
FactoryTeam08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

+100000.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

I would say if you to drive the MBX6 like a 5R, then yes, you would feel its unstable. If you actually drive it less aggressive, you'll find its actually pretty good. But your not going to pin the throttle like the old R and throw it into corners like what you had to do with the older heavier cars. It appears softer springs and shock oil is what calms the 6 down some.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
Tech Regular

I found i was always trying to get more steering out of the 5R, i build my 6 putting my 5R setup on it and there was a tonne of oversteer and my throttle inputs were far to aggressive, ive dailed out the oversteer and played with the xpo on the throttle and the car is getting better, i can see with more tinkering the car has potential to be super quick.
FrankBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

My 5R was set up a little twitchy to try to make it fast enough. I have found the X6 can be set up less twitchy and still be faster which makes it easier for me to drive than the 5R