R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Seized/Frozen RC engine!

Hey everyone
Just liked to say hi this is the first time i'm posting here. So i've been out of the RC world for a few years. I have the original HPI Nitro RS4 MT but i haven't used it since a few years ago and now the engine is frozen/seized. When i pull the cord it doesn't budge and the carburetor is stuck as well. How can i fix this? And if it is fixable, will i have to break in the engine again? Thank you!
Cheezburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Take the motor apart, clean it with motor spray and relube the internals...Had a few motor do that to me a few years back and it worked perfect after retuning..Good luck
Collection:Kyosho Turbo Scorpion, Losi 8ight-T race roller, Losi 22-4, Traxxas Slash 4x4 (speedrunner), HPI R40, HPI RS4 3 Evo, HPI RS4, Losi Mini-T, Mugen MRX-3, HPI RS4 Mini Electric, HPI RS4 Mini nitro
DaveNJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Also make sure there is no rust anywhere inside. If there is find out from an engine repairer what to do. I've heard stories about people firing up old rusted engines and was told that if the rust is bad enough it will catch or rub on something and destroy it. Again this is just a story but better safe than sorry. You don't want rust that's for sure.
And take a very good look at those bearings. If you left fuel in there they may be done for! It all depends how you stored it. Good luck!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree with the first two posts on taking the motor apart. In the future, run the engine out of fuel when you are done. Pinching the fuel line to the carb works well. Remove the the glow plug and add a couple drops of after run oil or Mystery Marvel oil before storing should prevent this.
rced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

when you pinch the fuel line to kill it before storage make sure that the engine is warm.. the heat helps evaporate the remaining fuel in the bearings..
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I put after run down the carb slowly it lubes the crank and outboard bearing better & less chance of dirt getting in the engine. For pull start I mixed 50/50 with wd40 easier to pull ,it displaces moisture too.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Both are good points. If you do not clean thoroughly before adding the oil, another way to pretty much eliminate dirt is to add the oil through the fuel inlet. A small bottle with fuel line on the dropper tip works well.
rced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rced1 View Post
Both are good points. If you do not clean thoroughly before adding the oil, another way to pretty much eliminate dirt is to add the oil through the fuel inlet. A small bottle with fuel line on the dropper tip works well.
I used to think this was the easiest and safest way too. Actually it is in respect to keeping dirt out. But my engine manual said not to put oil in that way because it will deteriorate the o-rings in the carb. But maybe that's a small price to pay to keep clean? I don't know how fast it would ruin them. Keep it in mind though if you ever have tuning issues down the road
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys thanks for all the info i was able to free up my engine and carburetor. What i did was put some o-ring lubricant oil for my paintball gun down the glow plug hole, exhaust hole, and carburetor hole. Now i just have to figure out a way to take off the stripped screws on the pull start and heatsink. I think what i'm gonna do is put some superglue on a screwdriver tip and the screw and take it out that way.
Cheezburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

When I worked in the hobby shop, old people would bring in their airplane engines that sat for decades and we soaked them in this to free everything up.

www.marvelmysteryoil.com

If you break in a new motor and it varnishes and seizes (because you break it in at too low of a temp) this will clean the varnish off as well...

To get the stripped screws out, get a drill bit slightly larger than the screw (probably 1/8" will work on both), and drill it until the stripped part of the head of the screw comes off, then you can get the head off, remove the internals and slot the screw to extract it. You may need to heat it up and/or let it soak in a penetrating oil, but it shouldn't be a problem.