Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
8ight clutch??? >

8ight clutch???

8ight clutch???

Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can someone explain the diffrence and what you would gain by going with 2, 3, or 4 cluth shoes. What do most people prefer? I am just running the 2 factory installed on my 8 buggy.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

as a lot of people have said i like the clutch, i round the ends of the screw so the will go in easier in the holes. my clutch lasts a long time, i use alum/composite with gold/green springs. this provides a good punch.

What i also do is if i have time between the qualifier and the main i will take the engine out and take the clutch apart, if there is an onsite air compressor i will go over, spray the clutch off and bearings.this will help with wear,heat, and pro long bearing life. If there is no onsite compressor ill wait till i get home and do this when im cleanin the car, ALSO if u get a new clutch bell make sure you sand the INSIDE of the clutch bell where the pads would touch, this provides somethin for the pads to grab to,
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Can someone explain the diffrence and what you would gain by going with 2, 3, or 4 cluth shoes. What do most people prefer? I am just running the 2 factory installed on my 8 buggy.

you obviously have an rtr and I recommend putting four shoes in your clutch, you will definately feel the difference as soon as you do!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BOOST
you obviously have an rtr and I recommend putting four shoes in your clutch, you will definately feel the difference as soon as you do!

X2 i could only imagine the loss in power you are suffering minus 2 shoes.....get 2 carbon's on there and you willl love it.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes, 23.4 or less is no good, However just to give you guys a idea I probably run......ahh it's just hard to say but I'll tell you I get a lot of life on the clutch.

My bearings I have probably have always lasted so long. I'm ashamed to say but I got 4 complete race days on them and thats some races with 10 minute heats, and 30-45 minute mains. It is good practice to always keep fresh bearings. I take mine out and just spray wd-40 on them, blow them out, wipe them just in case and put them in. So pretty much a "dry bearing".

The new 2.0 clutch pins come rounded so they go in easy.

I'll say(I think I said it before) when set up correctly and under normal "race" conditions your losi clutch should be one of the most effecient and longest lasting out there. WIth two carbon and two alum I never have to file the edges of the alums, and in 7 months I have changed springs twice(3 sets of springs) and never broken one. The springs just are not loaded as much as say a three shoe, which helps aid the broken springs.

If you guys need any help stop in the ask the drake 2.0 thread....
Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Time for a shameless plug below.... Agreed the Losi shoe and flywheel is the easiest to work on and move from motor to motor. The two different bearing sizes I'm not certain extend the life.

Losi shoes and springs
http://answer-rcusa.com/zencart/inde...&products_id=5

Losi Bearings
http://answer-rcusa.com/zencart/inde...products_id=39

Coupon Name :: rctech
Coupon Amount :: 20%
Start Date :: 10/24/2008
End Date :: 10/24/2009
Uses per Coupon :: Unlimited
Uses per Customer :: 1
Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Clutch Bearings

Correct shimming is a must to get the most life out of your clutch bearings. I use a Kyosho shim kit on my 8ight. The shims come in 1, 2 and 3 mm increments so you can shim very precise. The bell should not contact the fly wheel. For this shims are added behind The shim goes on and then the bearing. Once this is set correct then you can shim the outer bearing by adding shims between the bearing and the screw. There should be approx .5mm of play in the clutch bell after the screw is tight when it is shimmed correctly.

The second thing is bearing maintenance. After each day of racing I clean my clutch bearings with a RPM bearing blaster and nitro spray until the bearing spins free without a grity feel. Then I let it dry and add a drop of bearing oil on the outside of the bearing seal put it back in the RPM blaster and spray a couple quick blasts of compressed air into the bearing blaster to force the oil in.

I have had bearings last a very long time like more than half of the race season racing every weekend if they are shimmed correctly and maintained regularly. As for brand Losi seems to be the best, but the Protek aren’t a bad cheap replacement.

Also Adam Drake released a minimum measurement for losi clutch shoes of 23.3mm using the caliper method described above. Once this measurement reaches 23.3mm time to replace the shoes. Also don’t be cheap replace all 4 shoes at the same time you will thank yourself in the end.

Kyosho Shim Kit

RPM Bearing Blaster
Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JJY
^^^^^^^^^ two post up is your answer LOL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, that's embarassing. You're right, it's right there two posts up from mine. Guess I just became too frustrated looking elsewhere and gave up. 23.4mm is the measurement I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank L

Also Adam Drake released a minimum measurement for losi clutch shoes of 23.3mm using the caliper method described above. Once this measurement reaches 23.3mm time to replace the shoes.

do i hear an echo in here.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
X2 i could only imagine the loss in power you are suffering minus 2 shoes.....get 2 carbon's on there and you willl love it.
Which brand do I get for a Losi 8 B RTR. I looked but could not find losi carbon shoes. This could be a dumb question but I am guessing you set up the shoes in circle formation one carbon one aluminum one carbon one aluminum.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Lord

Which brand do I get for a Losi 8 B RTR. I looked but could not find losi carbon shoes. This could be a dumb question but I am guessing you set up the shoes in circle formation one carbon one aluminum one carbon one aluminum.

LOSA9107 composite shoes is prolly why you didnt find them. and yes stagger the shoes from each other...and you can use different spring rates on them if you so please....just DO NOT stall the composite shoes too high or they will just melt down after a couple tanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ok, call me stupid on this one!

Im installing my Dynamite Max-Life shoes, and I randomly choose a green spring (using green and gold). the screw that holds the clutch on goes down to just about the threads, then stops. What will I need to do to make this go down further? Ive put a shoe on the other side, put a light rag over them, then hold down using pliers and they still dont go in! So what do I need to do to make it fit? thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, got it!! Just needed a little convincing!!

Last edited by Chris__RC; 01-20-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
LOSA9107 composite shoes is prolly why you didnt find them. and yes stagger the shoes from each other...and you can use different spring rates on them if you so please....just DO NOT stall the composite shoes too high or they will just melt down after a couple tanks.

What color springs do you recommend?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

What color springs do you recommend?
If you download the 8IGHT 2.0 manual from the losi website it has a complete guide on setting up your clutch....page 45.