R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I am Torn...

So I am getting back into the hobby after a long awaited halt (i think this is my 3rd thread about so, but this time my job situation is stable, and so is my lack of bills >.>).

Next year I want to run an entire season of Buggy, and Truggy. I live in Florida so I race year round (not trying to rub this in PNW, and NE people i promise.) Naturally I want the same make buggy and truggy, same motor make, same servos, so on and so fourth.

So many good options out there which to choose?

Kyosho is out of the question, because though I make decent money I am not rich.

Choices are: (top to bottom has no reluvance just how i typed them)
AE
Mugen Seiki
Losi
CEN
Jammin'

Now before this turns into a bash among guys wanting to show masculanity on the internet, I don't want any bashing. Tell me what you run, how it holds up to abuse, what are crucial areas that should be appointed to, etc..

I am looking for Customer Service style help here, not, I drive a losi its the best EVAR!

I am set with Go Tech motors, many people run them in florida, and they seem to be good entry level motors. Probably going with Spectrum Dx3r rx and tx, and servos are still in the air.

With that said, HELP ME DECIDEEEEEEEEEEE!

I have done more than my fair bit of research (RCCA need a new columnist??? >.>), but that doesn't help the fact that the five mentioned brands are all top notch, and capable of winning.

I know, before you say it, all depends on your driving style... I have never raced offroad only 1/10 nitro on road so I have no "driving style" persay to offroad. So any of them will work good, because I will be able to adapt to them. And all 5 vehicles have great parts following in Florida so that isn't an issue either.... Now you are starting to see why my decision is so tough hopefully.

Thanks in advanced,
Torn with choices
Euro Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

My $.02. You have already covered the parts issue. My next thing would be what others (that are helpful) have and race at your local track. I hate having something that nobody knows any thing about. I like to be able to get help from someone that has been-there, done that. This will make the re-entry into racing a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Durability: In my first heat, I hit everything on the track - even some of the track marshals. I know Jammin and Mugen make some tough stuff. The Associated and the Losi stuff doesn't seem to be as tough.

Personally I would go to the track a few times and watch others. Talk to them and see what they think about what they are running. You should get better feedback there.

I hope this helps and this is just what I have seen. I am sure others will have different opinions.

Good luck!!!

BTW: The Kyoshos are worth it!!
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Well thats why i have chosen the top 5 brands and not some of the lower (basher name brands as i see them) I have Gene Hickerson as a local floridian, so I know if I go CEN and ever have problems i could just always turn to him. Billy Easton now resorts in florida, but honestly the florida racing scene is a very diverse set of individuals, no one brand has more racers then the next. I am going to the last Pro Series race this weekend, so I hope to get some good time infront of some of these buggies and truggies so I can make my decision easier. They all look great in stock photos, but how they perform on the track is waht I want to see now.

As far as Kyosho being worth it, I'm sure they are, but for me to get into this hobby is going to be expensive enough, but to pay ferarri prices for kits on top of that I just can't do. With that said I want brand new kits, not somebodies race roller that they arent using this season.

Thank you for your quick advice though,
Brandon
Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I agree, go to the track and see what looks best to you. No right or wrong answer. Personally I would get only one first. It's difficult enough to race one nitro class weekly and keep it mainained well enough to have faith in it. Throw another 4 wheel vehicle in there and you'll be putting 20 hours a week wrenching along with your day job.

I run the rc8 and love it. Had it since they first came out, broken like 4 parts or some crazy low number like that. But along with maintenance keeping stuff from breaking or falling apart, so does not driving like an idiot. : )~

The dx3r is an awesome radio. They make one with the same shape and lightness now for almost 100 bux less. It uses the older rx's though. ANyhow, good luck and happy racing. And yes, I'm jealous about the whole race year round thing!! I've already broken out the long johns & winter hats!!
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Anytime. And again those are my opinions. All of the vehicles you named off would be fine. Some people have luck with things others don't. I saved and bought a Kyosho this spring and love it. I only run one vehicle though so my funds are concentrated to it. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on what you decide.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is Xray 808/XT8 out of the question?

If so, I'd go Mugen. The quality of Xray and Mugen are unbelievable.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Tech Regular

JBrow, you have the Wolverines though, so I am jealous. But I do not plan on weekly racing, I will be running monthly in the FSORS. So it wont be that bad, I will constantly be wrenching though, that's what I do. I am OCD when it comes to hobbies. I have come to realize that I can never just have a hobby, I must go all out, and strive to be the best, or I feel I am wasting my time. That problem is what is making this decision so hard for me.

Mracer, I hope you did not take my comments as a retaliation of any kind. That was not my intention. I would love to get a Kyosho ST-RR and MP9, but that would be 1400 bucks just in 2 kits. I can't throw that much around, I know I am looking close to that if not more anyways, but that will be with everything not just the 2 kits.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you should add the XRay 808 and the Hot Bodies D8 buggies to your list, also HoBao Racing will come out with the new Hyper9 sometime in next few months... there is a lot of good buggies out there to choose from and everybody has a different opinion.. my choice was the world champ buggy the D8... is the cheapest of all the pro buggies and the thing is AWESOME!! very easy to drive, very planted, super well balance, the buggy layout makes it super easy for maintenance and the Hot Bodies/HPI cust service is top of the line... If you want high end quality then the XRay 808 will be my choice. do your homework and read about all the buggies mention, make your own choice!! there is lots of great information about all those buggies in this site..

good luck!!!
D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Does HB have a race worthy Truggy though, what about Xray do they have a truggy, I know there are great buggies out there but I want a combination you know. If I was getting into one or the other it would be a different choice.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Stealth View Post

With that said, HELP ME DECIDEEEEEEEEEEE!

I have done more than my fair bit of research (RCCA need a new columnist??? >.>), but that doesn't help the fact that the five mentioned brands are all top notch, and capable of winning.

I know, before you say it, all depends on your driving style... I have never raced offroad only 1/10 nitro on road so I have no "driving style" persay to offroad. So any of them will work good, because I will be able to adapt to them. And all 5 vehicles have great parts following in Florida so that isn't an issue either.... Now you are starting to see why my decision is so tough hopefully.

Thanks in advanced,
Torn with choices
You said it right there!! hehe. You really can't go wrong with any of those.

But from how you stated your situation, I'd get AE buggy and Truggy, a Futaba 4pk, one extra receiver, an Ofna Truggy starter box (blue bad ass) and the engines of your choice. Then extra clutch shoes (they use the same shoes I believe) and practice, practice, practice.

Then I'd probably spend the rest of the budget on tires. Lots of tires.

You'll be in for a few grand when it's all over and have a REAL NICE setup.
boostfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
JBrow, you have the Wolverines though, so I am jealous. But I do not plan on weekly racing, I will be running monthly in the FSORS. So it wont be that bad, I will constantly be wrenching though, that's what I do. I am OCD when it comes to hobbies. I have come to realize that I can never just have a hobby, I must go all out, and strive to be the best, or I feel I am wasting my time. That problem is what is making this decision so hard for me.

Mracer, I hope you did not take my comments as a retaliation of any kind. That was not my intention. I would love to get a Kyosho ST-RR and MP9, but that would be 1400 bucks just in 2 kits. I can't throw that much around, I know I am looking close to that if not more anyways, but that will be with everything not just the 2 kits.
Heck no, I am not offended. I hope I didn't lead you to believe I was. We are just talkking about cars. I am not one of those guys that thinks you have to run what I do. I agree with you on the money thing and you should always do what you can do. There is no way I could afford to run two cars of anykind. I am OCD myself. I will sit out of a race if I haven't had wrench time. Keep us posted about what you do. You have my support with any vehicle.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Does HB have a race worthy Truggy though, what about Xray do they have a truggy, I know there are great buggies out there but I want a combination you know. If I was getting into one or the other it would be a different choice.
The XRAY 808T (truggy) will be out very soon and it will be sweet just like the 808. Top notch those XRAY guys. Oh and you dont need an MP9 to go along with the STR, Just get a 777WC. Its still as nice as any other buggy and still competative. Plus parts avalibility is a given.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i really do not think that you can go wrong..i have had a lot of cars myself.. i ran a jammin all this year but have decided to make the switch to ae because it just fits me better.... the jammin felt like it had an achor tied to the rear of it all the time to me.. once again these are my opinions.. good luck with whatever you choose
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Hot Bodies does have a truggy but it's based on the Lightning series buggy... we are waiting on a new truggy based on the D8's design.. I heard that they are currently working on the prototype ..
D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Thank you guys for all of the quick responses. I guess I knew all along that I was just going to have to wait until this weekend to see all of these vehicles in action before I made a decision.

Once again I appreciate all of the assistance you guys have given me, I am going to continue to do my research, one of these days I will be back into the sport.