R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New motor...

Hey guys i just got a few questions. I just purchased a new GO 7 port and an 801 pipe. I have never raced but i have bashed for about 2 years now and i have built up a track in my back yard and decided i will be racing full time next season this why i got the new GO. I am just wondering about the clutch and flywheel how i would remove them. i got the clutch bell off but do i need some special tools or how do i get the clutch and flyewheel off? I have a GS racing CL-1 RTR will the clutch off that RTR motor work with my new engine? Also and is it very necessary to seal the engine with threadlock before the break in or is it already factory sealed?? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
QDAWGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Tech Adept

The clutch and flywheel will go on trouble free. Getting the shoes off can be a PITA if you dont have a special tool, but you dont need one. First off get some safety glasses and some gloves. Get a small tipped slotted screwdriver and stick it between the shoe and the flywheel nut. Find the spring tang sitting in the groove on the flywheel nut and pry it up out of the groove. Now you should be able to stick the screwdriver between the shoe and the flywheel and GENTLY pry it off the post. The flywheel nut comes off best with a socket and ratchet and a pair of plires gripping the flywheel.The flywheel again should be removed with a special tool but a few brisk taps with a plasic or rubber mallet works good. Dont lose the collet behind the flywheel. And since its going on a new engine go ahead and replace the springs, shoes and bearings and shim it properly You will thank yourself later. Dont threadlock any screws on the engine.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

On some motors you need to seal the backplate, the Go has a real nice tight o-ring so I never seal mine. Almost all carbs should be sealed, when you have the motor in the car you need to align the carb straight with the linkage. Get everything set before sealing it, the ball on the carb can be loosened with a allen wrench and adjusted also. When you get everything set pull out the carb and put a small bead of black silicone or better a rc motor sealer around the base of the carb before sliding it in.
It's best to invest in a puller for the flywheel or find a hobbyshop or hook up with someone that has one.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I would say definately worth while to invest in a flywheel puller it makes life a lot easier, if your on a budget look into a battery terminal puller it will work, but its best to support companies in the hobby.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Ok thanks for the quick replys. And 22racer i am also from MN i will be racing in Rochester next year at southside, don't know if you've heard of it or not but whatever. I am still wondering about the clutch shoes tho. How do i get them off the flywheel. There are no screws or anything. Do i need a tool for this also? or is there anyway i can pop them off?? thanks.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDAWGG View Post
Ok thanks for the quick replys. And 22racer i am also from MN i will be racing in Rochester next year at southside, don't know if you've heard of it or not but whatever. I am still wondering about the clutch shoes tho. How do i get them off the flywheel. There are no screws or anything. Do i need a tool for this also? or is there anyway i can pop them off?? thanks.
Read post #2.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

getting shoes on and off with out a tool is hard but can be done wit time. you got to like pry the shoe up like if the motor was running and then take a screw driver and get the spring up out of the ridge on the flywheel and then it will pull off
The #1 site for all your nitro needs
egobuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Southside! Last time we raced there was the King of Dirt in 2006. My son won the King of dirt title but Kevin refused to pay the $100 cash prize. After I went in with the cops we got our money and never went back. Everyone will be racing at Tea's Hobby shop next year. (And dirt oval this winter) If you haven's seen it it's a really nice place. www.teashobbyshop.com

Rex
Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Yeah i heard Kevin is kinda sketchy ive also heard about the new Teas. I didnt know they were going to have an offroad track tho i thought it was just an indoor oval.

Thanks for the help guys i will give er a try.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Qdawg you have a pm.

Rex