R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default What is the best .21 buggy engine

I am going to get the new Losi 2.0 buggy and need some info I have ran the v-spec and the Jammin jpx .21 in the 8ight t and are both great engines but is the grp tuned .21 above these engines. If you have any experience with the GRP or any other engine it would be very helpful thanks
chris1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Well the GRP should be easy to research...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ne-thread.html
I don't know about any of the engines you brought up though. Someone told me to look at GRP, Dynamite Platinum, and RB and I'm going with RB next year.
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow. This is a tough one. All 3 are great engines. I have ran the V-spec, and am now running the GRP .21 tuned. I have friends that run the Jammin's. The V-spec is an awsome running engine, and easy to tune. Basically runs like a clock. I have heard some say that they have issues, like bearings not lasting long, and I know that the rods seem to need to be changed out more than others, but then again, I have had friends that have many gallons on thier Vspec with no rod problems at all.

The Jammin has Mucho power, and a great price!

The GRP is my favorite. Has plenty of power with low temps, and stays consistant. Smooooth power delivery all day long, and good fuel economy! I have about 4-5 gallons on mine, with 0 problems to date!
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've run the V-spec and the GRP.21. What I've found between the two is the V-Spec has more bottom end grunt. The GRP is a bit softer.

The V-spec on average lasts about 5ish gallons before its starts getting a bit wierd. The GRP is going beyond that.

You tune the GRP different than most engines. If your GRP temps are in the normal running range of say the V-spec, its not tuned optimally....

I like them both equally....
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

I ran noverossi, os, and grp motors I love the grp it has been the best motor I have bought. I got about 3 gallons on it and no sign of a bearing going bad or anything and I also can run almost 10 minutes on a tank. Great motor.
t spellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

The best engine hands down with cost being no object is the OS Speed. The V-spec is good but I have seen some QA issues and you really should put ceramic bearings in it. Next on the list is the Sirio factory tuned sells for $319 and the RB C6 BB, the C6 is an expensive engine. Then you get into the cheapier engines. Probably for the money the GO 3 port race would be the bang for the buck followed by the 5 port GO engine. Many racers run GO engines and there is a thread on here on them.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

What about the Ninja? I have not run it, but I have a few guys at my track with them. They seem like beasts. One of the most pwerful, fastest engines I have seen. I personally love the Jammin/Picco's because they dont give me any problems. My V-spec is a nightmare, and i wont ever buy one again. I got a lemon, but I'm sure most of them are better. I have always had such good luck, and satisfaction with the Jammin engines, and taking all the factors into consideration: Price/longevity/powerband/ease of tune/idle/holding tune/power/torque/runtimes, I have no reason to start switching engines. If your happy and you know it clap your hands! Why mess with a good thing?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alberico View Post
The best engine hands down with cost being no object is the OS Speed. The V-spec is good but I have seen some QA issues and you really should put ceramic bearings in it. Next on the list is the Sirio factory tuned sells for $319 and the RB C6 BB, the C6 is an expensive engine. Then you get into the cheapier engines. Probably for the money the GO 3 port race would be the bang for the buck followed by the 5 port GO engine. Many racers run GO engines and there is a thread on here on them.
RB prices have dropped on the C6... check amain... its a cheap engine now
Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

JX.21 very mean motor, and great runtime, use the OS 2060 same as the mugen pipe. It's like a 5 port speed, and 0nly $299 on amain stock
615-838-5373
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Yes, the C6 is now over 1 bill cheaper than the overpriced and over-rated Speed, get the C6.... great engine!!!
FactoryTeam08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
What about the Ninja? I have not run it, but I have a few guys at my track with them. They seem like beasts. One of the most pwerful, fastest engines I have seen. I personally love the Jammin/Picco's because they dont give me any problems. My V-spec is a nightmare, and i wont ever buy one again. I got a lemon, but I'm sure most of them are better. I have always had such good luck, and satisfaction with the Jammin engines, and taking all the factors into consideration: Price/longevity/powerband/ease of tune/idle/holding tune/power/torque/runtimes, I have no reason to start switching engines. If your happy and you know it clap your hands! Why mess with a good thing?

Put you right foot in and you shake it all about??? lol (Sorry had to do it...)

I've also had very good luck with the Jammin/Picco JPX .21. Great power, price, and very reliable. Plus it's not a pipe specific engine like some of the others, there are literally 5 or 6 different pipe setups that will work very well...

Rob B.

Nitrohouse.com
Ofna/HoBao
Fusion Motorsports
Byrons Fuels
Panther Tires
TKO Ceramics
Common Sense RC LiPo
Nitrohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohouse View Post
Put you right foot in and you shake it all about??? lol (Sorry had to do it...)

I've also had very good luck with the Jammin/Picco JPX .21. Great power, price, and very reliable. Plus it's not a pipe specific engine like some of the others, there are literally 5 or 6 different pipe setups that will work very well...
LOL, Can you tell I spend a lot of time with my 4 year old daughter! it's rubbing off on my other stuff. She named my new Xray 808 the Wiggle's car
Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default motor

OS VSPEC PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
LOL, Can you tell I spend a lot of time with my 4 year old daughter! it's rubbing off on my other stuff. She named my new Xray 808 the Wiggle's car
That's awesome!! By the way...Cute name for your buggy...lol

Enjoy them as much as you can. They become teenagers wayyyy to soon...

I have 2 that are teens now (My 15 year old daughter (my oldest) is 5'11" tall, at 120lbs, and gorgeous, man am I in for it), and they can definately be a handful sometimes...But still worth any grief that comes up...

Rob B.

Nitrohouse.com
Ofna/HoBao
Fusion Motorsports
Byrons Fuels
Panther Tires
TKO Ceramics
Common Sense RC LiPo
Nitrohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohouse View Post
That's awesome!! By the way...Cute name for your buggy...lol

Enjoy them as much as you can. They become teenagers wayyyy to soon...

I have 2 that are teens now (My 15 year old daughter (my oldest) is 5'11" tall, at 120lbs, and gorgeous, man am I in for it), and they can definately be a handful sometimes...But still worth any grief that comes up...
Time to get a shotgun and keep it on display Rob!!