R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 69
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Don't they have an updated bearing that is supposed to address that? Part# 941320
aaronmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #32
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan42r View Post
xray says clean and repack the bearings after every raceday, wow no thanks!
For those of use that race the 808, we just replace the bearings with Avids, and

inspect them regularly. I have had no issues with my bearings, as I followed the directions, and then replaced them as needed. Usually about every gallon of fuel, except the clutch bearings which need to be changed more often.

They do not need to be repacked with grease after every race!
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #33
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWolfson View Post
People are really saying alot of good things about the 8ight 2.0. Car is supposed to turn on a dime.
We all know when buggies are first released they have at least one issue. The Losi 2.0 weak spot is a weak front shock tower. I've seen 3 do down in the first week the car has been run by the average Joe. Ouch!

As for the Xray 808 bearing re-packing...
Its not needed after every race! Seriously, I have 2 gallons on the set in my car right now. I'm changing them for a big race next week, as my normal service interval is about every 2-3 gallons, if the track is very brutal 1-2 gallons. Avid bearings do work well also.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #34
Tech Elite
 
slaytanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,171
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

I used Avids but let me tell you. ReadyRollers are WAY better. Same price to $1 each. Super nice guy to. I needed some bearings for a weekend race and he upgraded to overnite at his own expense. That's friggin service! Trust me you will not be disappointed.
__________________
Team Epic
Team Terribles~Answer RC~Fastlane Graphics~Torco Race Fuels
XB808 Mamba Max Pro/Tekin 1900kv RC-monster mount and tray 4s
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #35
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytanic View Post
I used Avids but let me tell you. ReadyRollers are WAY better. Same price to $1 each. Super nice guy to. I needed some bearings for a weekend race and he upgraded to overnite at his own expense. That's friggin service! Trust me you will not be disappointed.
Ok, so how do we get em!?
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #36
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

http://www.readyrollers.com/main.sc

Havent tried them yet still got lots of avids left & BTW the only bearing I'm HAVING to replace are the outer wheel bearings & thats at 1.5-2 gal. All the others I either clean & grease as regular maint just like I did on all my other brand cars or replace with $1 avids if I'm too lazy at the time to clean. I had just seen the recomendation on the x-ray site to put 1/2 & 1/2 bearings on the pinion the night after I did that very thing & so far so good. It felt less like an experiment when someone who knew what they were doing says try it.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #37
Tech Regular
 
WhiteFoxAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 256
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteFoxAz
Default

This is an old thread but these are the exact cars I am looking at for both nitro and electric. There are certainly many improvements and wanted to get opinions and first hand experience from those of you who own these cars!!

Thanks!!
__________________
Losi 2.0B - 2.0T ` Jammin SCRT 10 ` Blitz ESE
WhiteFoxAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #38
Tech Regular
 
WhiteFoxAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 256
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteFoxAz
Default

Also hearing rumors of a 3.0 Losi coming soon!! Anyone have any input on that??
__________________
Losi 2.0B - 2.0T ` Jammin SCRT 10 ` Blitz ESE
WhiteFoxAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #39
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

These are the best three cars out there.

The Xray is the best and lightest of the three. It's a Mugen with a Losi type front suspension, cutting edge tech light weight drivetrain, and some super high quality parts.

As long as your stick to the stock diffs and gears the pinion bearings seem to hold up ok and require about the same maintenance as any other car. Pull them and regrease/replace every 2-3 race days. If you want to try 41t gears or the active diff, then those pinions need to examined after every race until you get your shimming perfect. The optional 41t overdrive gear really puts alot of strain on the front of the car and meshes poorly reguardless of proper shimming.

The Xray needs some tuning if you want super aggressive steering. Usually shock pistons, stiffer rear springs, and thinner diff fluids. The out of box setup is stable, boring, and European feeling.



The Mugen is the safest bet. It's front end can do some goofy things but if you replace the pin clips with plastic shim washers some of that goes away.


The Losi is just as fast, but the metal and plastic wear quicker, lame aluminum shock towers (should be CF at its price range), eats servos still, not enough wheel base adjustment. Same awesome shocks the others have.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #40
Tech Regular
 
WhiteFoxAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 256
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteFoxAz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
These are the best three cars out there.

The Xray is the best and lightest of the three. It's a Mugen with a Losi type front suspension, cutting edge tech light weight drivetrain, and some super high quality parts.

As long as your stick to the stock diffs and gears the pinion bearings seem to hold up ok and require about the same maintenance as any other car. Pull them and regrease/replace every 2-3 race days. If you want to try 41t gears or the active diff, then those pinions need to examined after every race until you get your shimming perfect. The optional 41t overdrive gear really puts alot of strain on the front of the car and meshes poorly reguardless of proper shimming.

The Xray needs some tuning if you want super aggressive steering. Usually shock pistons, stiffer rear springs, and thinner diff fluids. The out of box setup is stable, boring, and European feeling.


The Mugen is the safest bet. It's front end can do some goofy things but if you replace the pin clips with plastic shim washers some of that goes away.


The Losi is just as fast, but the metal and plastic wear quicker, lame aluminum shock towers (should be CF at its price range), eats servos still, not enough wheel base adjustment. Same awesome shocks the others have.
Thank you for the detailed answer/response!! I have been running Losi but as you said...plastic is a little soft and I have been wanting to try a car/truck with some better build quality and a little tighter.

I drove a Mugen and it turns much better than my Losi I just hear complaints/concerns about the pillow ball front end. What problems are you guy's running in to??

I am still new to 1/8 and have not had a chance to see an X-Ray up close but everything I have heard has been fairly positive! Thanks!
__________________
Losi 2.0B - 2.0T ` Jammin SCRT 10 ` Blitz ESE
WhiteFoxAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #41
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFoxAz View Post
Thank you for the detailed answer/response!! I have been running Losi but as you said...plastic is a little soft and I have been wanting to try a car/truck with some better build quality and a little tighter.

I drove a Mugen and it turns much better than my Losi I just hear complaints/concerns about the pillow ball front end. What problems are you guy's running in to??

I am still new to 1/8 and have not had a chance to see an X-Ray up close but everything I have heard has been fairly positive! Thanks!
Just get some plstic washers to replace the clips, they fall out on mugens. It's nice to have those washers to dremel down and use as shims to get rid of exces play anyway.

Xray propaganda is a good read:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...0&catName=XRAY XB808 - 2010 Specs
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #42
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Beware! Once you tasted X, you will be forever wanting it! X is addictive!
__________________
Powered by: MASTERCARD and VISA

If you're in control, you're not driving it fast enough!

XRAY / NOVAROSSI / SANWA / AKA TIRES / BYRON FUEL
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #43
Tech Master
 
scwrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,421
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

+1
__________________
hbracing.com tritonrc.com raceaka.com
scwrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #44
Tech Master
 
thenova70ss's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,555
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

I have had all of the cars Losi 8 and the Losi 8 2.0 and the Xray 808 and the 09 and now the Mugen MBX6 and i am MUCH faster with the Mugen i liked how the Xray drove just did not like all the problems i seen with the Diff Bearings with the Xray.

I all so like the Losi cars it just cost so much money to keep the cars in Tip Top Shape new A arms after about 2 gallons and all new Rebuild in 5
gallons the Losi cars cost a Lot of money.


I have not had the Mugen car that long just about a little over a Gallon of fuel but so far it has No wear and looks like a new car and like i said my Times have gotten much faster with the Mugen it like's to be driven Hard and Pushed and that makes me Faster.
__________________
CHRIS CREWS
Pro Speed Racing Optima MX1 Buggy http://www.global-hobbies.com.my
Cold Fusion R/C Products Team Driver - www.coldfusionrcproducts.com
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com

Last edited by thenova70ss; 07-11-2010 at 10:17 AM.
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #45
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just bought an 8ight 2.0 buggy last week and have been checking it over throughly this week and obtaining the parts i need to complete it. After spending several hours checking things out i have to admit it is a really nice buggy. Of course i can't compare it to other buggies but judging by the research i did before taking the plunge and since taking delivery of mine i'd have to say the 8ight 2.0 is rock solid. You see alot of people here racing them successfully.

You do hear a few horror stories but its that way with any rc and is most likely due to driver/setup error. But based on the availibility of parts i'd have to say the 8 2.0 is the best bang for the buck. The parts are cheap and plentiful, expecially on ebay. I see about half of the parts available for the mbx6 vs the 8 2.0.

If i had it to do all over again i would stick with the 8 2.0, without a doubt. It really boiled down to finding the best deal on a 8 2.0 or a mbx6 and i ended up saving alot of money buying the 8 2.0.

I do hope to get into some local racing her shortly, but of course i need some practice time, and with practice comes broken parts. All the lhs around here carry 8 2.0 parts, so in a pinch i'm covered.

For mbx6 parts theres only 2 hobbyshops around here and both are 45-50 minutes from my house and neither has an off-road track. So for me the decision wasn't too hard. Thats just my opinion.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THREE OPTIONS [PLEASE HELP] a.howard Nitro Off-Road 24 06-10-2009 02:55 PM
2009 Pre-Femca Buggy Championship - Registration / update - 30-31st May 2009 Danny Teh Malaysian R/C Racers 115 06-09-2009 02:43 PM
Most aggressive buggy? Zerodefect Nitro Off-Road 66 01-06-2009 07:11 PM
D8 or 808, mbx6, mp9, 2.0 speedy2 Nitro Off-Road 66 11-19-2008 04:15 AM
Buggies bgbelden Nitro Off-Road 70 11-16-2008 07:52 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:49 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net