R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default need some help... 808 or mbx6

Right now i have a 808 i love the car its amazing, i practice around 2 days a week and race on weekends, but the thing is that there arent any hobby shops that carry parts for it around me, so i was thinking about getting the mbx6 because my lhc carrys most of the parts for it....?

what should i do?
revracer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Drive a Mbx6 and decide. Thats what I had to do. Drove a 808 and it felt real close to my 8ight. So I bought the Mbx6 instead. So far I like it. If your lhs has parts on the wall for it thats a good plus too.
Darin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I am sure both cars are great. The parts issue for me was the deciding factor to not get a 808. If you really want to keep it, buy another kit. I know its easier said than done. Lets say you sell the 808 for $300, i did a quick search for completed sales on ebay for the 808, thats what they are pretty much going for. so now you have to shell out another $250ish out-of-pocket and now you have 1 new mbx6. On the other hand, you can use the live.com cashback offer and get up to 30% off your "qualifying" purchase. 808 for $600 minus 30% = $400 out-of-pocket. for the extra $150 you shelled out you now have 2 808s. research the cashback offer, the % back changes, i wish i would have known this before i bought my 2 D8 kits. So i pass it on to you. Having a parts back-up kit is a lot less stressful when you r at a track that doesnt have a parts for your buggy.

AKA Products, Team Losi, Track Star Racing, Tekno RC, Hitec RCD, LRP, Schelle Racing, Imagine It Graphics, EKD, VP/PowerMaster fuels
stipres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

As a side-note, I'm always amazed when a decision to keep/buy a buggy/truggy is based on parts availability of a person's LHS....

I wouldn't let the stop me from owning a buggy that best fits my driving style and which I enjoy driving especially in this day and age.

It doesn't make sense to me. As an example of why I don't think it should be a deciding factor is; Saturday I break during qualifying or worse the main. Is there actually time to get to the hobby shop and back to the track in time to make the main? (where I live, the tracks are not co-located with a hobby shop) If you are lucky enough to have the LHS co-located, what are the chances they have the part you broke?

Most of the LHS in my area don't stock the higher end buggy/truggy parts. Some of the common parts like arms, knuckles and hubs, but thats it.

So, basically your day is done. Either go home, logon to the 'net and order from Amainhobbies and you'll have the part by Wednesday, installed and ready to race next weekend. If you have a full time day job like me, I won't make it out to the track till the next weekend anyways...

Also, most of the LHS in my area can order just about any part for any current buggy/truggy. My LHS can typically get the part by the following Thursday or Friday which still allows me to race that next weekend.
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up 2 things...

1. You already have the 808 and like it. If you are ready to take your racing seriously you might consider picking up a used roller that is in good condition. Not having parts available is all up to you. Total cost to you can be no more than $350 total.

2. The Mugen is a damn good car. But is it $600 better than your Xray? What if the hobby shop does not have that particular part you are looking for? IMO - serious racers always have spares no matter what car they drive.

If you like your 808 that much then take it to your LHS and show them why. Maybe they will start carrying parts for them. It could be that they do not know how good the car is.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyar15 View Post
As a side-note, I'm always amazed when a decision to keep/buy a buggy/truggy is based on parts availability of a person's LHS....

I wouldn't let the stop me from owning a buggy that best fits my driving style and which I enjoy driving especially in this day and age.

It doesn't make sense to me. As an example of why I don't think it should be a deciding factor is; Saturday I break during qualifying or worse the main. Is there actually time to get to the hobby shop and back to the track in time to make the main? (where I live, the tracks are not co-located with a hobby shop) If you are lucky enough to have the LHS co-located, what are the chances they have the part you broke?

Most of the LHS in my area don't stock the higher end buggy/truggy parts. Some of the common parts like arms, knuckles and hubs, but thats it.

So, basically your day is done. Either go home, logon to the 'net and order from Amainhobbies and you'll have the part by Wednesday, installed and ready to race next weekend. If you have a full time day job like me, I won't make it out to the track till the next weekend anyways...

Also, most of the LHS in my area can order just about any part for any current buggy/truggy. My LHS can typically get the part by the following Thursday or Friday which still allows me to race that next weekend.
Im guessing these are the sort of parts that tend to break and can be fixed between qualifiers probably not a main though, plus not all of us can afford to carry $50 - $100 in parts just in case so rely on co-located shops when racing, I can see what you are saying though why limit choice because of parts availability locally when all parts are available mail order or can be ordered in by the lhs
a win on the lottery :D
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Wow, that's a tough call. Both are great cars with manufacturers that have put a lot of time and development into the car. ANY buggy is going to have an issue here or there... I personally just keep "common failure" parts on hand for my chosen ride. Break something, well, put the one on it that's in my parts box, and get another one to replace the missing spare. The ONLY "high failure rate" part I've heard of on the 808 is the bearing on the pinion gears... at $1 each you can buy a LOT of bearings for the cost of a different kit.

If you are happy with the 808, you'd probably be better off spending your money ordering some spare parts and sticking with it. The MBX6 looks really good, although only one guy locally has it that I know of so far... 808's are like belly buttons around here, so SOMEONE would almost always have a spare to swap/sell/whatever.

If I were shopping for a buggy... I'd probably call the guys in the white coats to come take me away, because I'm not a good enough driver for buggy! Seriously, 2 great cars, it would be hard to choose, pick what you like and if you have no local parts available, just stock up on your own.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Default i agree

i agree as above whole heartedly infact even mere mortals like us who mainly race/ play at weekends dont really have time between heats to change if some thing really breaks. I have seen loads of people who have 2 cars and never needing any parts. when it is time to sell on ebay, there will be loads of ' spare car not needed'.
personally I have a 808 which is like a tank. got most parts as back up
raced recently and the servo when bonkers and all i ahd was a cheapo servo.

i bought the mbx6 will be happy to let u know how it drives but again, i dont have the same engine for both and servos to test both together to really get a feel
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have been racing my 808 for a couple of months now, and i crash hard, and often, and i have not broken anything yet! you will also not have bearing issues if you follow the build instructions. But you should check em more often than other kits. I feel that this car is indestructible, but as other people have said, stock up on a few parts that are common replacements in any buggy, mostly due to slop. If you have the car, you know how great it is, why would you want anything else?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Both are good cars but....

I've driven both and they feel similar, the xray seemed a bit easier to drive though. The xray is also probably stronger, as I've been watching the Mugen guys fixing broken upper arm holders every day. If you already have an 808 I'd keep it and continue to dial it in. Spend the extra money you would spend on buying an MBX6, on stocking a few parts for the 808. From what I've seen, you don't need much for that Xray buggy, its probably the strongest car on the market right now. Its true that real racers that travel to a few tracks don't rely on LHS's for parts, they stock what they need.

Keep it, dial it, and win....

P.S. Also bug the crap out of your hobby shop to stock the parts you want until they do. Just absolutely nag them to death,.... they will get your parts for you! LOL!
Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Default mbx6

i am truely suprised what u said about breaking the mbx6.

i would think the mbx5 and the mbx6 uses the same component for the upper arms. I have so many mbx5 crashing and bashing in my local track without breaking a thing.

i do agree the 808 is built like a brick though
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revracer222 View Post
Right now i have a 808 i love the car its amazing, i practice around 2 days a week and race on weekends, but the thing is that there arent any hobby shops that carry parts for it around me, so i was thinking about getting the mbx6 because my lhc carrys most of the parts for it....?

what should i do?

I've heard alot of good opinions on your question here and some I agree with and some I don't. I consider myself a serious racer and do own alot of Xray parts for both my buggy and truggy but unless your willing to purchase two seperate kits for parts alone you will never have every part you need. One example is this last summer when I travelled 7 hours away to race in a Pro Series race that was out of my division, while racing I managed to lose a tooth off both of my front and rear pinion gear, how it happened I have no idea but if I raced another manufacturers car I probably would have had a better chance replacing it. Josh Wheeler was in attendance at that race and lucky for me he had one extra to give me but even the Xray team drivers sometimes don't have all the spare parts that other manufactures give to theirs just simply due to availability. I absolutely love my 808 but I do have a new MBX6 on the way to test. Xray is a very durable car and I love mine, but I've also ran Mugen in the past and was very pleased with it's durability. It's a decision that only you can make, but when the price of Xray's kits is increasing and Mugen's are decreasing there are several factors that will play into which manufacturer vehicles I will be racing next year.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Get a D8
redman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman11 View Post
Get a D8
I think he's looking for a good buggy.....

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

how durable is the mbx6 compared to the 808?
revracer222 is offline   Reply With Quote