R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have had both the cars, as a matter of fact I gave the 808 2 tries and just could not deal with the way the car handled, for me at least. I currently have the mbx6 and really couldnt be happier. I can say that the xray was a very solid, quality, and durable car. I just could not make it do what I wanted. If I had to say there was a weak link on the buggy, the pinion bearings need to be checked more often than a conventional 8 x 16 bearing, thats about it. As for the mugen I have a little over a gallon of fuel on the car and no problems to report yet. On my mugens from the past I had a the pillow balls get pulled out of the front lower arms on my 5r while downsiding a jump . I think it was just a bad set of arms because once it was replaced the problem never occurred again. Both the cars can be broken, both are an excellent buggy, I happen to prefer the mugen, if you are happy with your xray you may want to consider just carrying some spare parts. But, if you just feel the need to try a different buggy, and would feel more comfortable with a buggy that your local hobby shop supports you will not be disappointed with the mbx6
Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #17
Tech Master

I like my 808 better than my mbx5r.I tried a bunch of buggys & always went back to the mbx5r but dont see myself ever leaving the 808 now.Both last forever but x-ray dont use those little hinge pin inserts that wear out so fast. I have also noticed that the 808 has a broader adjustment,it can go very loose to very stable with very few adjustments.My mugen had a range from very stable to somewhat less stable. I got a buddy with 1 race on his 6 & likes it so far but one thing I have learned about mugen is the company is stable like the car they dont make radicle changes just to be like what ever company is selling the most right now & cant imagine they will ever change the things I liked about them. For me right now I like too many things about the 808 to even think about another car change. As far as local spares I have less parts stocked up for my 808 than I did my mugen & am not worried about it.Everything will break eventually but I am stocking up slowly on-line & saving big money over any of the LHS that refuse to carry 808 parts anyway.On line gets me my parts faster than special ordering from LHS too.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
Tech Master

I cannot give you a compairison because I have not driven the 808 but I driven the others & they make fine tough buggies. I can tell you that in the last 3 years I've run the old MBX5, Losi 8 & RC8 (K cars before that) and I'm loving the MBX6 more than anything.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Got rid of the 808 i had to get my mbx6,

one of my better descions the 808 was a good car but i could never get consistent with it, i had the feeling of being on edge everytime i went into a corner.

The mbx6 has solved that and its taken a fair few hits and is all as it should be

as others have said they are both cracking rides and either will serve you well
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #20
Tech Addict

I've never owned a buggy so consistent as this Xray 808! Its just so dang fast and strong! When I first got it, I had to make some small changes to suit my style, and after a couple races I had this thing dialed! Before the 808 I had a Ofna, Mugen, and then Losi, so I expected performance. What I found out after 6-8 gallons with the 808 is it has perfromance, durabilty, and longevity over anything else on the market.

Results,..... you cant argue with them... its real proof!
I have finished every single main and qualifier since the US nationals (going on 15+ races!). Not only that I'm running faster than I ever have (by far), and have won multiple trophies in expert class racing with this 808 (I'm not sponsored yet). Its absolutely a dream to drive, and is built to perform at the top level of racing,.. even out here on the west coast where the competition is extremely tough. I'm getting faster every time I run and cant say enough about how well this buggy performs.

If you had an Xray and only ran it a couple times,.. you didn't give it enough time. Period! This car gets better and better every time you run it, and responds well to even small changes. Ask any pro Mugen driver how the box stock MBX6 setup is, and they tell you 5 things to change right away if you want to be fast. The box setup for both cars will not work for every track. The Xray is no different if you dont work with the settings for your track and style, then say "its inconsistent or edgy" your only cheating yourself out of $600 for a new ride that wont perform any better without dialing.

Mugen is a quality car, but the Xray is a still a step up in durability and precision built parts. Getting parts online is easy and cheaper than from a LHS. If your racing often, stocking a few parts is normal. Trust me you don't need to buy tons of parts or buy a second buggy for parts, as this car is very very strong!

I would stock these parts:

Bulkhead and 19x13 bearings $15-20
Steering rod plastic ends $5
One center pinion $15-20 (on ebay)
Shock ends $5
Shock Shafts $20

I guarantee most racers have more than this in their bag...!

Also dont forget teamxray.com offers a full online setup sheet system, where you can create your own or view setups from team drivers. Does Mugen have this?

Stick with that 808! You will here your name called out quite often as the TQ or leading the race, and you'll think wow I'm not even trying!

Sorry about the book...
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Tech Regular

I am a believer on how the 808 just keeps getting better each time you drive it. My buddy who I race with got an 808 in the middle of the season and started at the D main driving the 808 with a 3 port engine (RB S3). He has never driven an off-road buggy before, cept for 1/10 on-road. Towards the end of the season he just kept getting faster and faster with the 808 finally reaching a very respectable spot in the B main at the last season ender. I'm pretty sure that as long as the drives the 808 and straps on a faster motor. He will be someone to look out for next season. He can thank the 808 for it and says nothing but good things and praises.

I know for sure what I'll be using next season.
Poppin Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #22
AE

Stick with what you have. Most people really hurt their game by switching cars more than they do their underwear. The new generation of cars (Losi, Xray, now Mugen, Kyosho and the D8) are very agile and come across feeling "edgy". There is no magical setup that will make you a better driver. The top drivers in the world could drive a toilet and put it in the show. Commit to running a chassis for atleast 1-2 full seasons! You will know the car inside and out! I would spend my money on the things that will help you advance in driving skill (good radio, extra servos, tires, and racing/practicing expenses. Build up an arsenal of spare parts so you can get 3-4 hrs at least of runtime per week. That has helped me the most! There is no replacement for wheel time and there will always be that dude w/ a clapped out Hyper 7 that smokes people cause he drives the crap out of it and knows it like the back of his hand! just my .02!
Dyno Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Dan View Post
Stick with what you have. Most people really hurt their game by switching cars more than they do their underwear.
Thats why I don't change my underwear! Stick with what you are using!!
Phun intended

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
Thats why I don't change my underwear! Stick with what you are using!!
Phun intended
Stick with or stick to

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 194 (100%+)

If you are already used to driving your 808, and it matches your driving style, check out ebay every day/week because you can find some really great deals on spare parts from people who "chop" up new kits and sell the parts separately. I don't have an 808, but I have managed to find some really great deals on new parts for my car, as well as the "for sale thread" here on RCtech where people sometimes sell a Parts Lot. I got all the RC8 King headz parts for a huge discount on here!
All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote