R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight questions?

I have been reading where they wear out rather quick. Could somebody tell my why one brand buggy would wear faster than the other and what parts actually wear out so quick? I am new the 1/8 scale scene and am trying to learn
-It is more blessed to give than to receive. ~Acts 20:35
-Spec Amsoil, Jerry Welchel or Fabtech Slash
-Team Losi 8ight E- Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2650
RGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

i think just about every plastic parts wears out quickly...that is about 5-6 race days before i noticed any signifigant wear. i think that it's a combination of great chassis balance and a soft plastic that will with stand bending with out breaking. probably why there isn't many parts that break. they just flex. just my opinion
Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think it's all about the way you drive and the surface you drive on. If the track is smooth your parts will last longer than a rough track. If you race a a dusty track it wil wear parts faster than a indoor track. If you are a good smooth driver and don't crash often you parts will last longer. If you keep your buggy or truck clean it's better on the parts
Chill_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill_Will View Post
I think it's all about the way you drive and the surface you drive on. If the track is smooth your parts will last longer than a rough track. If you race a a dusty track it wil wear parts faster than a indoor track. If you are a good smooth driver and don't crash often you parts will last longer. If you keep your buggy or truck clean it's better on the parts

X2
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's because it was engineered to break so you buy more parts. Also their parts are the cheapest and easiest to get usually. But in all honesty, you have to really take care of your stuff. proper preventive maintenance goes a long way with any rc car. All cars break stuff, it is the nature of the hobby, go with the brand you can fix quikly (meaning parts availability) and cheaply.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGraves View Post
I have been reading where they wear out rather quick. Could somebody tell my why one brand buggy would wear faster than the other and what parts actually wear out so quick? I am new the 1/8 scale scene and am trying to learn
I hear this alot losi parts wearing out quickly. However being a losi owner I have not experienced this. What some of the other posters said are very true. Lack of maintemance = wear, poor driving = wear, all cars wear don't believe the hype about if you pay more your going to experience less. For everyone you find that says losi wear quickly I can find you 5 that say they don't. Parts replacement is how company make there real money. Theres only about 20% mark up in a complete kit. Theres probally 50-150% mark up on parts.

Go to your lhs and see what brands they carry. Make your choice from there theres nothing that suck more than waiting on parts. All of the top models are very close in performance. It's really hard to make a bad choice. That hype about you get what you pay for. Well that phrase was turned into an oxy moron after the worlds. Where the cheapest kit won. It just just goes to show you it's about the driver not the car. longevity is about the maintenance being done on your car. keep it clean dont let water sit on it after cleaning and grease it back up after use and you will be fine. Whatever your choice is. I love my 8ight but I actually want to try a different brand this time. Not because my 8ight is a poor car it's just alot of good cars out there and there all good. Besides I can still whip butt with my 8ight. You don't need the latest and greatest the late models are all still alive and well and kicking butt on a regular.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I can still whip butt with my 8ight. You don't need the latest and greatest the late models are all still alive and well and kicking butt on a regular.
Ditto.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The 8ight is a really precise car, and because of that it probably takes a little more maintenance than some others. Doesn't bother me, I'm pretty anal about maintenance on all my cars anyway. The trade off is a really nimble, responsive car. Input/ring gears need to be shimmed properly, and I run the Robinson hardened clutch bell. I also don't like the hinge pin holder set up, the aluminum will wear and/or thw plastic caps will break. Both M2C (what I use) and Kingheadz make atermarket setups, Losi makes an adjustable hopup, or you can just replace the stock occasionally. The steering rack will get some play in it, doesn't affect the handling. My car's been very durable. As far as the a-arms warping, that will happen with all 1/8 buggies. There isn't a single car out there that doesn't require some modding/hopup to be better (AE released the service pack right after the RC8, everyone wants big bore shocks for the RC8, they do the steering mod, etc.). Point is that any car you buy is going to have some strong points and some weak points out of the box. Whatever you buy, be prepared to do some work on it. I'll tell you I love the 8ight. And considering everything else I run is from AE, that's pretty high praise, LOL.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDezPirate

I have been using same plastic boxes such as gear box, radio tray, center diff stands since Jan of 08 until my RX lost contract with my TX and ramed into the wall really hard. Broke the radio tray off the bolts, leaked the fuel tank out bad, and that was ALL.. everything else is fine. which was saturday night..
Old 10-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

All I' ve changed on mine since 2006 is the drive pins, diff cups and rear outer hinge pins. Its pretty clapped out and needs a chassis but its on its original arms, gears,axles, drive shafts etc. Its not pretty at all. The only thing I see really being a big money issue for replacement is the top mounting shock holes in the shocks are oblong and wore out from running it with play in the upper plastic bushings. Otherwise, considering last year I didn't race much at all, but prior and this year, for the most part the car really didn't wear anything to the point it was an issue. "Other than diff cups" That drove me nuts!!! Matter of fact none of this was an issue with Losi drivers or anybody until the infamous everlasting Xray 808 came out.
Hitecs
M11
DSM
and a Retired 8ight.
MonkeyWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Diff cup issue has of course been addressed with the newer HD diff cups.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote