R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
LabRat99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Clutch Maintenance Help

Can some of you more experienced nitro guys give me a little help. How often should clutch bearings be changed? And in general, how long should a set of aluminum shoes last?
LabRat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 373
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I change my clutch bearings every 2 race days. One time I waited and had a bearing come part on me, ruined my clutch and scratched my crank a little bit. Ever since then I try to change them every 2 race days.

On clutch shoe life... I run carbon and teflon shoes so I cant testify on what the length should be on alum shoes.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

the clutch bearings in my revo are about 18 tanks old and still fine

the clutch bearring in my rc10gt are about 4 years old and fine so idk it just depends
__________________
www.nitrojunction.com
The #1 site for all your nitro needs
egobuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
vladconnery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat99 View Post
Can some of you more experienced nitro guys give me a little help. How often should clutch bearings be changed? And in general, how long should a set of aluminum shoes last?
Honestly there is no right or wrong answer. CB bearings life is dependent on proper shim of CB (no more than a shims amount of play) + Mesh + engine square (straight alingment of engine with mesh) = CB bearing life. It does not matter if you use $1 bearings or $5 bearings. If you get any of the before mentioned wrong bearings will wear quickly. Clutch shoe life is dependent on track surface and style of driving. are you a blipper (power on power off) smooth (reckognizes there are throttle positions between WOT & idle) type of springs you use soft, med or hard.

The best thing to do is to find out what you are. Anyone giving you advise will not be wrong because what they do is right for there style of driving and maintenance. You really need to find your style and develop your maintenance routine you will be a better driver for it.
__________________
KO PROPO EURUS
Kyosho: TKI3, TKIe Tekin RX8 Gen2
vladconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,296
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Honestly there is no right or wrong answer. CB bearings life is dependent on proper shim of CB (no more than a shims amount of play) + Mesh + engine square (straight alingment of engine with mesh) = CB bearing life. It does not matter if you use $1 bearings or $5 bearings. If you get any of the before mentioned wrong bearings will wear quickly. Clutch shoe life is dependent on track surface and style of driving. are you a blipper (power on power off) smooth (reckognizes there are throttle positions between WOT & idle) type of springs you use soft, med or hard.

The best thing to do is to find out what you are. Anyone giving you advise will not be wrong because what they do is right for there style of driving and maintenance. You really need to find your style and develop your maintenance routine you will be a better driver for it.
Best answer I've read in a long time.
: )
__________________
Team Associated & CRC
Trackstar & Hobbywing esc's
Spektrum radios, GensAce batts, turnigy servos.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
TeamX151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 165
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I blow out my clutch bearings with compressed air to get all the bearing grease out of them, then I use a couple drops of marvels mystery oil. I have had clutch bearings last a couple of gallons if not more.
TeamX151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 274
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
Best answer I've read in a long time.
: )
I must also!!!
__________________
Collection:Kyosho Turbo Scorpion, Losi 8ight-T race roller, Losi 22-4, Traxxas Slash 4x4 (speedrunner), HPI R40, HPI RS4 3 Evo, HPI RS4, Losi Mini-T, Mugen MRX-3, HPI RS4 Mini Electric, HPI RS4 Mini nitro
DaveNJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Tech Addict
 
fiveoboy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waunakee, WI
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

As far as aluminum shoe life, I've seen 5-6 race weekends out of a set before I feel they're worn enough to change. Probably could be run longer but I don't bother with it, I just change them. I pull mine every 2 racedays and file off the burrs, they mushroom over pretty well.

As was said shoe life is going to depend on your driving style, clutch spring tension and weight of the vehicle as well as traction. Best thing is to just test and find out for yourself how long the components will last.
__________________
Bill
JR Vibe 50, and that's it!
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
itsshemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hemet Ca
Posts: 868
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Vladconnery has the right idea. Great answer.

There are a lot of variables. All i can say is check them often. Personally, I put new bearings in each race day, for the most part. It is not worth risking a failed bearing on race day, since they are a cheap to replace.

As far as alum shoes, again, check them often until you get a feel for how long they last "you". These are both "wear" items, and should be part of the maintenance process.
__________________
Danny Flores
____________
Team Driver for:
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
Akhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alberta,Canada
Posts: 1,280
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
As far as aluminum shoe life, I've seen 5-6 race weekends out of a set before I feel they're worn enough to change. Probably could be run longer but I don't bother with it, I just change them. I pull mine every 2 racedays and file off the burrs, they mushroom over pretty well.

As was said shoe life is going to depend on your driving style, clutch spring tension and weight of the vehicle as well as traction. Best thing is to just test and find out for yourself how long the components will last.
How do you actually know that they are gone? Do you have a photo of a used up clutch shoe?
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
easyryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 2,543
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Check them often, check everything often This cars are like newborns
easyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Tech Regular
 
LabRat99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked was because I just went through the clutch and the bearings were totally shot and the clutch shoes were worn down to the point that the springs were getting ate up.

It's definitely not my driving style, I try to be smooth and stay in control. The alignment was good, the mesh might have been very slightly loose but certainly not enough to hurt the teeth on either gear. If I had a problem mechanically, it was front to rear play. It needed more shims and I never got around to adding any.

I probably ran the car for three months before I took it apart and found the clutch in such sorry shape. So obviously, that's too long!
LabRat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
vladconnery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat99 View Post
Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked was because I just went through the clutch and the bearings were totally shot and the clutch shoes were worn down to the point that the springs were getting ate up.

It's definitely not my driving style, I try to be smooth and stay in control. The alignment was good, the mesh might have been very slightly loose but certainly not enough to hurt the teeth on either gear. If I had a problem mechanically, it was front to rear play. It needed more shims and I never got around to adding any.

I probably ran the car for three months before I took it apart and found the clutch in such sorry shape. So obviously, that's too long!
LOL, The 1st part of fixing a mistake is admitting you made one. So now you know 3 months is to long to go without maintenance. Properly shimming your CB is very important. Keep in mind everything that goes wrong on one of these puppys can lead to another problem. If your CB is not right that means shimmed, meshed and squared. It can cause your engine to run hot. What TeamX151 said about blowing the grease out of your Cb bearings is also true. bearings are packed with grease. You should blow some of it out especially on the inner bearing. If the grease spins out which it usually will. It will coat the inside of your CB and make the clutch slip.
__________________
KO PROPO EURUS
Kyosho: TKI3, TKIe Tekin RX8 Gen2
vladconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc10ntc3 Taz_S Nitro On-Road 9437 05-28-2017 08:13 PM
Tekno Conversions Thread teknorc Electric Off-Road 10250 01-30-2017 01:30 PM
Batam RC Kopitiam batamrc Indonesia Racing 3502 07-28-2015 12:14 AM
CEN Matrix TR t4usee Nitro Off-Road 1798 03-29-2010 09:57 AM
R/C Stuff Selling Kenneth Tan Singapore R/C Racers 45728 09-09-2009 07:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:18 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net