R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to shadey10
Questions?? Pre-Engine Break in question

Hey all,

I have a question. I'm just now getting into to hobby grade RC and Nitro RC for that matter as well. I just won on Ebay a new never been run Sportwerks Mayhem RTR that is bone stock. The individual I got it from bought it to race Nitro since he already raced electric but for some reason decided he would just stick with electric. My question is that this car has been sitting unused for well over a year, Is there anything special I should due before breaking the engine in? Such as tearing the engine down to check for any rust or just applying some after run oil first then turning the engine to lube it up. Also, should I go ahead and replace the stock oil that is in the diffs since it has been sitting for so long? Any info would be appreciated. I'm excited about getting into this hobby and want to get it right off the bat so I don't have many issues a month into the hobby.

Thanks
shadey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

First off, welcome to the obsession! Nitro off-road is addictive.

Second, you bought a decent beginner car. Those are well made, although parts might be a little hard to find. I'm pretty sure that car comes with the Sportwerks .26 V2 engine... if so, that's a great engine. I just bought one to put in my Truggy. (See sig!)

It probably doesn't need anything done to it IF it was never run. They come with the factory coated with a protective oil. As long as it turns over ok it should be fine.

Shock oil and diff fluids are silicone, you shouldn't have a problem with them breaking down from just sitting... but you might ask around for a good starting setup (weights of shock oil and diff fluids) for that specific car to make it handle better.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Tech Master

I wouldn't trust anything DOMIT says!! He is an accedent waiting to happin, from a brokin toe to and engine parts practicly getting imbedded into his face.

jokin!!!!

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 10-16-2008 at 08:05 PM.
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
I wouldn't trust anything DOMIT says!! He is an accedent waiting to happin, from a brokin toe to and engine parts practicly getting imbedded into his face.

jokin!!!!
Said the man with less than a full complement of body parts. Ha ha ha ha ha! I'm going shopping at the Halloween store this weekend for a fake finger, I have plans. Where you guys been, haven't seen you around here much. Anybody running RCP TX at Ncontrol next month?
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
Said the man with less than a full complement of body parts. Ha ha ha ha ha! I'm going shopping at the Halloween store this weekend for a fake finger, I have plans. Where you guys been, haven't seen you around here much. Anybody running RCP TX at Ncontrol next month?

Touche'

I've been layed off two times in the last 6 months, so I had too sell my car and radio. But I finally got working again (hopefull for good this time). I think it will take me a couple of months before I'm back at the track. This is my list of things to get, and I'll be racing again.

X-ray 808
RB C6 w/pipe
DX3R

Whats with the finger???

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 10-17-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Tech Master

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 10-17-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

the mayhem is not a bad car.. it is excellent for beginners.
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
Whats with the finger???
No idea, I haven't seen it in about 6 months, LOL. You don't want much do you? Why don't you just go ahead and splurge for the MP9, ha ha ha.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That engine is nasty!@! be sure to install the smallest carb restricter, read the instructions and have fun, the car will be fine after sitting that long, in the right hand it would keep up with an mp-9no joke
easyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
You don't want much do you? Why don't you just go ahead and splurge for the MP9, ha ha ha.
my last setup was

Eight Buggy
OS V-spec
M11

so I'm not stepping up much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryder View Post
That engine is nasty!@! be sure to install the smallest carb restricter, read the instructions and have fun, the car will be fine after sitting that long, in the right hand it would keep up with an mp-9no joke
Yea, I was going to try different restrictors to see what I like. But I ran mod 4wd in electric for a few years and I like bottom end torque, so I'm going to need to find a ballance that I like. As far as a buggy, I'm going to stick with the 808, I drove one and frikin loved the way it felt.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryder View Post
Good thing you said the right hand, I'd be screwed if it was in the left.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to shadey10

To shift gears a little bit *chuckle* let me ask another question. I woulda started another thread but thought I'd just keep it in this one. Since I'm super new and looking for pretty much racing at my local track with no bashing........what would be some good basic parts to have in a pit box for quick repairs due to minor mishaps. I'm clueless in this matter and would rather spend money on things of importance than things that won't be of much use.

Also, I'll keep a lookout on this mysterious finger....
shadey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Tech Master

Sorry for the tread hyjack..

I'm not sure what you will need for the mayhem. If you had a Eight, I could tell you. Does the racetrack stock parts for it? If so I wouldn't worry, but extra glow plugs are allways needed. You might need to start a mayhem tread to get spacific views... Just a thought....

Old 10-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Tech Master

Spare a-arms, hub carriers, steering knuckles are always good to have for just about any car. I think you'll find that tracks won't carry a lot of spares for the Mayhem, you'll have to bring what you need with you, because that isn't a buggy that gets raced a lot.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

you may also consider taking off the back plate and putting a tiny touch of spray lithium grease in there ...i do this on all my motors now .....the only problem i had was if you put to much you will loose that first glow plug ...but if you put a tiny bit ...it can help during that first viscious cycle when you first crank it up ......on the spare parts ....arms , shock shafts , shock rebuilds ...the diffs are rock solid and should come 7/5/1 from the factory ...having raced the turmoil for a full year in my first year ...i can tell ya you have got a super durable ride there ....a few things you might consider ....take the front sway bar off ...the sportwerks line doesnt steer very well ...and removing the front sway bar will help it greatly ...also you may notice it had tons of bump steer .....if you take about a 10 mm shim ...i used some kinda shock spacers for a mini 18th scale .....and space the turnbuckles at the ackerman plate further down ...this will reduce some of the bump steer ..and make it better all around ......shameless plug here ...a buddy of mine just gave me 2 sportwerks turmoils ....1 rtr pretty much with an os vg .21 ...the other a roller mising a few minor parts ...and a butt load of n.i.p. spare parts ... should have a thread up on the for sale section in a few days ...oh and it also comes with a spektrum dx2.0 and rx and rx pack .......pm me if you have any questions about the tur/may .. i have run the gambit on them having raced one for my first full year in nitro ...a few years back ...lol .......later

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote