R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Jammin X1x vs Hyper 8/8.5 RTR

I am looking into getting into nitro buggies i am a newbie to nitro but a quick learner (as far as tuning goes) There are soo many options out there for buggies and even though i want to build a kit eventually for a start i want a RTR i have figured the 4-500 range is high but i can cope and i have been looking at a Jammin x1x cr rtr and a hyper 8 with a 8.5 upgrade kit. I can get the jammin about 50 bucks cheaper then the hyper. You guys have any input or even suggestions i would appreciate the input. The things that are important to me is that its fast durable and i will be able to get parts and also maybe when i get good go to the track a little more and race. Ive also looked at GS racing storm pro rtr and VTX B1r... but i think parts would be a issue and im not sure about the qob (quality of buggy) any info or opinions would help since im only a noob.
Tcaputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Either Buggy will be fine to bash and race, but all of us racers will tell you not to buy any RTR. In the long run RTR will cost more than a Kit, because The servos in a RTR are crappy, the engine is crappy and the radio is crappy, and lots of times the parts are crappy compared to the parts that come with a kit. but, that being said, some people can only afford RTR at the moment. You will have no problem bashing/racing either on of the buggies on your list, but from all around expierience the Jammin is a better product. Parts are easy to get for any Ofna product, but maybe not at your LHS. If you are a noob, and are going to crash allot. I would reccomend you buying something that your LHS (Local Hobby Shop) carries parts for, so you dont have to buy everything online and wait a week.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks for the response and i want a kit not only for the better parts but i also want to build it... but that said im a noob and im going to crash alot I think after i get a RTR under my belt i will buy a kit when im more comfortable with what i know. Both jammin and hyper are supported locally at first i was just going to mail order that VTX buggy seems like a good deal good thing i didnt cause they are not supported anywhere. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default Cen Matrix Pro

Ok i did the math i can get the Cen Matrix c1 pro with a spectrum radio and maybe axial .28 which i hear is pretty good engine for the price. I know a hobby shop in town did support cen parts but i drove by the other day and it was for lease so im not sure about parts.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Tech Lord

I have no expierience with CEN products, but for where you are out in the hobby. Im sure it will be fine. Good Luck, have fun
Old 10-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a 8.5 pro and is a very good quality kit. I have since bought a D8 because I wanted something more agile. I had my 8.5 up for sale if your interested I can give you details, all you would need is controller,receiver,glow ignitor,starter box and fuel.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I have an X1CR (pro kit, not RTR) for sale, with a starter box and Spektrum DX2 transmitter (no receiver.) No engine, pipe, clutch, servos. Includes some "practice tires" (worn but useable)

You would need: 2 servos, a motor, pipe, Spektrum receiver, battery for the starter box, receiver battery pack, transmitter batteries, glow ignitor, fuel, fuel bottle, and tools. If you shop carefully you SHOULD be able to get all that for right around the cost of the RTR (including what I'm selling.) Maybe just a hair more...

Differences in the X1CR and X1X: The CR has straight cut ring and pinion gears in the front and rear diff... the X has spiral cut. They are interchangeable... and the CR has 13MM shocks, the X has 16MM. There is SOME performance difference in the 13MM and 16MM shocks, but it is not as dramatic as the difference on some other cars... and Jammin 16MM shocks are available on EBAY frequently for very low cost. (for a future upgrade.) I have driven cars with both the straight cut and spiral cut gears, and can't tell the difference. They are SUPPOSED to be more reliable, but Jammins don't have a problem with reliability there anyway...

The car is in very good condition and comes with SOME spares. Raced, NOT bashed. Chassis is VERY good condition, (I run skidplates) front arms have some wear but a second set of front lower arms (they are used, but actually less wear than the ones on the car) is included. It will also include a set of 4 KYOSHO CVD shafts (1 pair front 1 pair rear, new in package, a direct replacement fit... and wear less than the Jammin ones) It has the "7th hole mod" for the rear camber link mounting points to improve rear traction and stability.

The center has been converted to the Hyper 8 aluminum dogbone setup (less rotating mass) and the dogbones and pinion cups are BRAND NEW, no run time at all on them. (I was running them already, and just replaced them since the old ones were worn.)

The starter box is the small OFNA one, and I've replaced the plastic posts with metal bolts so they don't slip around. The belt is pretty stretched, it works, but needs replaced pretty soon. I just bought a new direct drive box so I no longer need this one.

Transmitter is in good condition. I used the receiver when I upgraded to my M8 with spektrum module, so you would need to buy a receiver.

Includes a couple of practice bodies (ugly but functional) and... hmmm... say 3 seats of practice-worthy tires.

$150 + shipping. PM me if interested. I'll be happy to get pics of all the gear for you. This is a competitive car and better quality than the RTR version, although it does have some wear on it.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Domit, not sure if you follow dirt oval racing but at that price someone might snag it up for a Dirt Oval late model. If you are trying to sell it you should try posting it on dirtoval.com as well.

Just thought I would pass it along in case you werent aware of the Dirt Oval craze right now.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Default or buy used

Hey thanks for the offers a 8.5 and x1 cr do you guys got any pics... and how much are you asking for the 8.5?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default .21 or .28

Ok you guys have changed my mind from a ready to run to a kit. I see most RTR do have a .28(im sure for sales) and ROAR legal is .21. Im not concerned with being ROAR race legal im no pro . .... the guys at the local track here dont care so i guess my question is is there a advantage to a .28 - .21 I figure the .28 has more HP (depending on price im sure) but it seems most .21 in the 200-250 have more RPM can somone sort it out for me.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
Tech Lord

I cant get all technical on you but i can tell you this for a fact.

Any buggy you run does not ever need an engine larger than a .21 Truggies are heavier, and have lrger tires, more rotating mass, so they sometimes require larger engines. ( i know lots of people that run .21's in truggies also)

.21 has way more speed and power than any buggy will ever need.

Since you are still new to the hobby...DO NOT BUY A $200-$400 racing engine! You will only kill it, because you dont know how to tune it, or break it in properly.

Buy a .21 in the $120-$180 range. I love the Hyper .21 8 port. It comes as bump start, pull start, or roto start. It $120 with bump start. Has more power and speed, than you will ever need, and once you learn how to tune, you can step up to a racing engine.

I hear Axial, Sportworks, and Dynamite also make very capable .21's in the $120-$150 price range.

.21's also get much better run times than a .25+. If you go with the Hyper .21, use the 086 pipe with it. total combo will be less than $200. You can find them at Nitrohouse
Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Very cool i will def look up that engine... im so glad i found this forum.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Great thread guys I had a similar question and you have answered it fully im so glad i found this forums, before I brought anything, Many thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
Hey thanks for the offers a 8.5 and x1 cr do you guys got any pics... and how much are you asking for the 8.5?
I'll get you some pics in the next few days... have a busy schedule right now, so it's hard to squeeze in. (I keep my RC gear at my buddy's house and we work on our stuff together.)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowpopracer View Post
Domit, not sure if you follow dirt oval racing but at that price someone might snag it up for a Dirt Oval late model. If you are trying to sell it you should try posting it on dirtoval.com as well.

Just thought I would pass it along in case you werent aware of the Dirt Oval craze right now.
Thanks for the info. I just don't need the car, and it would pay for most of my RC Pro finals stuff (truggy tires, fuel) lol