Wiki Posts
Search

Answer-RC's clutch shoes review

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default Shoe Fitting Issue

Mike,

Are you seeing the shoe fitting issue with the steel flywheel?

I only use the steel flywheel on my engines as I like the smoother power band and better idle it gives, so I'm not to worried about any issue with only the ALU flywheel from Losi.

If it's an across the board problem I see that you make a Losi 4 Shoe Steel flywheel! I might just upgrade all mine to this.

I think I will also give your 3 shoe system a shot when I place my order here in the next day or so.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
Looking forward to running your products this year and I will look you up at Motorama for some hang out action!!
mark you are gonna love the answer product line ...the shoes and options are gonna hold up those sneakey motors you are putting out
Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
Mike,

I only use the steel flywheel on my engines as I like the smoother power band and better idle it gives, so I'm not to worried about any issue with only the ALU flywheel from Losi.

If it's an across the board problem I see that you make a Losi 4 Shoe Steel flywheel! I might just upgrade all mine to this.

No sorry ours at this point is also alum... it does however have thicker and deeper 'knurling' which helps with bump box bit and longevity.

I think I will also give your 3 shoe system a shot when I place my order here in the next day or so.
RJ,

I just got my hands on a steel flywheel recently, but just went to find it and can't locate it to test for you... yes I'm a bit of a mess at times. If you're going to place an order I will drop a set of Losi shoes in for you to test and report back...(just leave me a order note as a reminder) Perhaps I will locate mine by then and we can compare notes.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i did dry fit the shoes and drill them out as u said when we met at hobby hut. it seems to me that the shoes r a hair too wide. i'm not having an issue with the threads coming thru. i tries 3 diff fly wheels and three diff sets of shoes. after filing them down a bit on one side they fit perfect. i love the shoes. they bite well and last. i guess i will upgrading my flywheels then. i guess i know one thing i will buying at motorama.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pballer2777
i did dry fit the shoes and drill them out as u said when we met at hobby hut. it seems to me that the shoes r a hair too wide. i'm not having an issue with the threads coming thru. i tries 3 diff fly wheels and three diff sets of shoes. after filing them down a bit on one side they fit perfect. i love the shoes. they bite well and last. i guess i will upgrading my flywheels then. i guess i know one thing i will buying at motorama.
Definately never took that approach, but could very well be valid. I will look into this and get with Pete in the UK to see if a running change is in order.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxer
mark you are gonna love the answer product line ...the shoes and options are gonna hold up those sneakey motors you are putting out
I put in order for shoes, shims, fuel line, filters and a couple other things. I was looking at the other products he has to offer and all of it looks very good. i am especially interested in the flywheels kits he has. That will be the route I take when my xray flywheels need replacing. How is the hardness of the aluminum on the flywheel and the steel on the pins? I like the xray flywheel but it seems soft on the aluminum as the shoes dig in pretty quick and before I know it, the shoe is dragging on the flywheel. The steel pins seem to hold up well but I still find myself replacing the flywheel several times a season. Good thing it is only $8 my cost That's probably why it is only $8 I also look forward to getting my hands on the new Boss engine line that Mike talked about. He is in the market for an engine guy to be the official modder of his products and I hope I end up being that guy. Nothing set in stone, just ideas being bounced around.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

How is the hardness of the aluminum on the flywheel and the steel on the pins? I like the xray flywheel but it seems soft on the aluminum as the shoes dig in pretty quick and before I know it, the shoe is dragging on the flywheel. The steel pins seem to hold up well but I still find myself replacing the flywheel several times a season
Our alum flywheels are not the hardest things in the world either. Pins do seem to hold up well, but if you burn significant nitro they too will eventually wear.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mikenix
Our alum flywheels are not the hardest things in the world either. Pins do seem to hold up well, but if you burn significant nitro they too will eventually wear.
Oh I definately expect some wear on something like that. I will just have to order a couple up, try them and compare Talk to you soon Mike and see you at Motorama. I too will have a small area setup with my banner so I will have to try my best to be visible as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I put in order for shoes, shims, fuel line, filters and a couple other things. I was looking at the other products he has to offer and all of it looks very good. i am especially interested in the flywheels kits he has. That will be the route I take when my xray flywheels need replacing. How is the hardness of the aluminum on the flywheel and the steel on the pins? I like the xray flywheel but it seems soft on the aluminum as the shoes dig in pretty quick and before I know it, the shoe is dragging on the flywheel. The steel pins seem to hold up well but I still find myself replacing the flywheel several times a season. Good thing it is only $8 my cost That's probably why it is only $8 I also look forward to getting my hands on the new Boss engine line that Mike talked about. He is in the market for an engine guy to be the official modder of his products and I hope I end up being that guy. Nothing set in stone, just ideas being bounced around.
i can say this for positive sure answer components are solid ...much more so than the stock counterparts they replace ...you gonna be the answer man after motorama ..i wish i could that trip and hang with you yankees i try and hit a different BIG race every year ....gotta hit crcrc and motorama soon for sure .....
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Hey Mike, I got those weights of the shoes you sent for ya:

High Bite- 1.67 grams

Prototype- 1.65 grams

Other Shoes I had in the shop for comparison weights

Dynamite Max- 1.54 grams

Xray stock- 1.71 grams
Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thought I'd bring it back to the top!!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Finally got the shoes and mounted them up in one of my Losi Steel flywheel.

They fit perfectly and don't bind at all. I can't wait to try them out and see how they work.

I will post more once I have put some time on them.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
Mike,

I am having the same issue. It took me over an 1 hour to get them mounted up. I had to use the losi springs though.

I will tell you this. Once I got it all together I ran it and I can sware I had more power and very smooth.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

I found the best technique for installation on Losi is simply put a point on your pins then literally drive them in like a nail...
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikenix
I found the best technique for installation on Losi is simply put a point on your pins then literally drive them in like a nail...
You know that makes sense. The hardest part is the first hole passing the first part of the spring. Once you get through that it was easy.

Did you use a hammer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.