R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default having a hard time modulating the brakes...

on my buggy, i find it is hard to modulate the brakes... i'm not sure if this characteristic is determined by the quality of the brake pads... this is also my first RC so i don't have anything to compare it to...

even though the servo and the rods that operate the brake mechanism has a lot of movement range and i can modulate the servo pretty accurately, the brakes are really grabby... move the trigger forward a little bit, servo moves the brakes but nothing... move a tiny bit more, still nothing... tiny bit more, nothing... tiny bit more, a little braking... and then a tiny bit more and it's full lock already... that's the best i can describe it... on my radio, i can adjust the brake trim but that doesn't really solve the problem especially if driving on different surfaces... that setting only dictates how tight the pads are squeezing the rotors at full brake input...
flipteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

does your linkage have dials for brake bias? What kind of buggy is it? Are the brakes metal or composite? are you using brake pads, and calipers, or just calipers? these questions need to be answered before anyone can give you genuine advice, but usually there are only 4 ways to adjust braking. 1 is with the little dials that are on the linkage rods, 1 is with your radio, 1 is if you adjust the screws that tighten down your brake rotors, and the last is if you move the linkage collars. answer my questions and I may be able to help
Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

hi, i do not know if there is a bias dial... i'm gonna try to look for it... the buggy is a Jammin X1 RTR... the brake rotors are metal... for the front, there are 2 sets of rotors and brake calipers right next to each other... there is another set of 2 for the rear wheels... there are brake pads on the calipers...
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
hi, i do not know if there is a bias dial... i'm gonna try to look for it... the buggy is a Jammin X1 RTR... the brake rotors are metal... for the front, there are 2 sets of rotors and brake calipers right next to each other... there is another set of 2 for the rear wheels... there are brake pads on the calipers...
First... get some of the upgraded brakes like Craddocks. (composite disk, pads are plain metal.) You won't need 2 disks on either end on the Jammin with a decent throttle/brake servo. I only run one even on my Truggy, it is plenty.

Second, yes, the Jammin allows you to adjust bias. There are 2 brake levers with a rod for each that runs to the servo arm. You want to set it so the back brakes are not as strong as the front... you don't want the the back brakes to lock up. (Some guys run more rear bias, but they are the ones who like to toss the car into corners... much harder to control!)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

hi, yes, i saw the two adjustable stops on the rod and figured that's how to change bias... the servo i'm using is the Ace DS1313... you said i don't necessarily need 2 disks on each end but would reducing the maximum brake pressure in the transmitter program instead of taking out one disk have the same effect... i'm thinking because adjusting the brake trims on the transmitter is much easier than taking out a disk each time i want to change it...
Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

just an update... i was able to setup the brakes properly... i figured out how to adjust brake balance... i can't believe how a small turn of the linkage makes such a huge difference in the bias...

i adjusted maximum brakes using the program in the controller... i was testing it on pavement and i can now full brake with the wheels ALMOST locking up... on dirt, i can just click off at the controller to reduce maximum brakes so as not to lock them up during braking...