Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8ight 2.0 vs 808 vs O'Donnell

I am on the fence in picking one of the following buggies:

8ight 2.0
Xray XB808
O'Donnell

Will the 2.0 be any more durable then the original 8ight? How has the O'Donnell been holding up after 10+ races? I know the Xray can take a beating, but is it considered to be a "better" car then these other two?

Thanks for helping me decide.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jpas
I am on the fence in picking one of the following buggies:

8ight 2.0
Xray XB808
O'Donnell

Will the 2.0 be any more durable then the original 8ight? How has the O'Donnell been holding up after 10+ races? I know the Xray can take a beating, but is it considered to be a "better" car then these other two?

Thanks for helping me decide.
808 is hands down the most durable of the buggies you mentioned, not to mention the fit and finish is uncomparable and it handles great. As for the 2.0 I personally would not want to spend $550-$600 to find out it wears out as much as the first generation Losi.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm sure the opinions will flow like water, but you really can't go wrong with any of the 3 you have it narrowed down to. Maybe consider parts availability. Does your local track or LHS have Losi, Xray or O'Donnell parts on the wall? It's always nice to be prepared, but I've had some weird crap break on race day, and lucky for me, my LHS had it because I bought a Losi
Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

808 is a great buggy but near impossible to get parts. Losi is not changing enough of the buggy so it will have very high wear and maintenance, parts support is great tho. The odonell parts support is horrible and they took 2 years to release the car so can you imagine upgrade parts being released, also the od is very typical heavy old school design(i guess it was in deveopment for 2 years)
Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most guys don't seem to need parts for the 808. And they're super easy to get if you have access to the internet.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I am having to make the exact same decision. I am trying to decide between the 2.0 and the 808 myself. I hear nothing but good things about the 808, but my local hobby shops stock Losi parts. However I know I can just order parts online which is fine. I am still very new to the racing scene and I have a fairly new 8ight right now and I have been looking to do some upgrades on it, but have decide it will be better for me to just get a new kit, hence my current situation. I know the 2.0 is not out yet, so it's pretty hard to compare, but I am looking for a great performing buggy that's easy to work on and can take a beating. Plus the 808 can be found now for less than the 2.0 is going to be. I would like to hear some opinions of folks who have had the current 8ight and the 808. Also does the 808 need any upgrades to really help performance? I know I am very new to all this, and I know practice is what's most important but if I can get a car that is easier to drive and can take a beating then it will make my learning process that much better.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

What are you guys doing to your 8ight to say they have high wear . I`ve had mine for two years with the original parts besides bearings and axles .

Eddie , 30 changes isn`t enough for you ?

At both tracks I go to Losi is the favorite with a few AE , O`Donnell , and 808s . There all good buggies .
Old 10-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Briguy
What are you guys doing to your 8ight to say they have high wear . I`ve had mine for two years with the original parts besides bearings and axles .

Eddie , 30 changes isn`t enough for you ?

At both tracks I go to Losi is the favorite with a few AE , O`Donnell , and 808s . There all good buggies .
+1

I always thought the durability with the 8ight to be very good.

The 2.0 will be better for wear and durability compared to the original. That is one of the things that Losi wanted to do with the 2.0.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

I definitely had a hard time with the Losi. Every time I ran it, something else wore out. But when it did run, it was obvious why Losi wins nearly everything.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Semple
I definitely had a hard time with the Losi. Every time I ran it, something else wore out.
Are you breaking parts ? Find it hard that every time you run a part wears out .
Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ran Losi for 2 years, car wear was very high.Please dont confuse durability for wear.The 8ight is one of the most durable cars on the market, i never broke any of my 8ights. However the wear on the car eg driveshafts, hubs, spindles ect is huge. especially all the outdrives and driveshafts wore out quickly and had to be constantly replaced.IF you think the losi wears well you are dreaming. the 8ight wears out 3x faster than my 5R, But they are a great car, the only problem is wear, but its not a big deal because parts are cheap and readily availiable, im not ragging on the car im just stating that anyone that says the car lasts a long time wear wise is full of it.

As for performance wise, the 8ight was good, the 8ight 2.0 is better. I drove a 2.0 on the weekend, it was better overall than the 8ight, they have made advances in performance in every area.Cant speak for the wear as its still a new car.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hyper7vspec
Ran Losi for 2 years, car wear was very high.Please dont confuse durability for wear.The 8ight is one of the most durable cars on the market, i never broke any of my 8ights. However the wear on the car eg driveshafts, hubs, spindles ect is huge. especially all the outdrives and driveshafts wore out quickly and had to be constantly replaced.IF you think the losi wears well you are dreaming.

I guess a lot of people are "dreaming" according to you .
Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just being honest mate, thats the truth, the cars wear out fast. Wasnt having a dig at losi in any way, i think they are a great car.

You can keep living in your fairyland if you like. Does not bother me.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Briguy
Are you breaking parts ? Find it hard that every time you run a part wears out .
I agree with what was just said by hyper7vspec. It was durable, I remember wall riding it on the fence, then it came down and darted right into the crest of a jump really hard, hard enough that I flamed out and everyone heard the smack. The car was fine once I restarted it. It was just that the moving parts required frequent replacement due to normal wear. The shocks and radio tray gave me lots of problems, as well.

The wear rate was just a bit fast for my liking. Loved the way it handled, just felt like always having to wrench on it was taking away from my time on the track learning how to drive fast.

Not sure why the Losi guys get a bit testy and defensive whenever someone brings this up. I'm not saying it's a bad car at all, it's obviously not. The damned thing has so many wins under its belt.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hyper7, have you driven the 808 and if so how would you compare it with the 1.0 and 2.0?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.