R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default need help starting new buggy...

i bought a used buggy online... it has an Ofna Force .28 engine... the owner advertised the engine as only having run a half a tank of fuel through it... i have no reason to doubt it since the entire buggy is in very good condition...

i got it today buy i'm having a hard time starting it... it uses a roto starter... i've primed the fuel... in fact, i already have flooded the engine a few times trying to start it... the engine just wouldn't even fire at all... i have tried 2 different glow plugs... i've checked and both of them heats up...

this is what i bought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150301052983
flipteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

are you using the glow plugs recommended for the engine? You should go to ofna's website, and call technical support. they will walk you through a list of possibilities. its tough to tell without seeing, and hearing your engine turn over. Are you using the washer on the glow plug? what type of fuel, and Nitro percentage. is your glow starter good? Are all the fuel, and pressure lines attached? Is the engine screwed together tight (no air leaks) There are a million possibilities, but I hope you didn't buy someone else's nightmare. Lots of people sell their problems on E-bay
Old 10-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

first, make sure the needles are where the factory recommends.

make sure glow igniter has a new batt or a full charge.

Make sure there are no leaks in the fuel system (tank, lines, return from pipe, etc.)

check for leaks around carb and back plate, head.

Fuel OK?

Warm head first?

Try starting with the radio off (tires off the ground). I have at engines that like the throttle at different positions. Manually adjust by hand. Again, protect from a run-a-way.

Clutch not engaging too early

just some ideas, im sure other will offer ideas too
Trinity .21
Airtronics
RickBac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i remember seeing that one up on ebay...

like he said, you should be able to go to the manufacturers website and get all the base settings (high and low speed neddle) as well as carb barrell opening that the motor would come with right out of the box and what plug to run. the base settings will be very rich but the motor should fire. a half tank is nowhere near full break-in so be careful with that too.
xyzyx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

hi, just answering some of the questions to help you help me ...

there is a washer on the glow plug...
the fuel is 20%...
i've checked the glow starter... it does heat up the glow plugs...
i don't know if there are air leaks but all the lines are attached...

i don't think the seller was trying to get rid of a problem buggy... i have been watching his other listings and he had multiple barely used RC's listed... i think he's more of a collector with little time to play and is trying to get out of the hobby... the original amainhobbies.com receipt for the purchase of the servos is still in the box... the date was March 2007... that's over one and a half year that the buggy just sat on his shelf since it still looks practically new...

i have another question... when i first got the buggy, both servos were making buzzing sound even with no controller input... i found that it's because the servos are binding... i changed some settings using the program in the transmitter and i got it completely silent with no controller inputs... but the servos still buzz slightly when i am playing with the controls... the loudest buzz being at full brakes which makes sense since it requires the most binding... but i am wondering if this buzzing is normal...
Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
Tin
Tech Apprentice

Slight radio input will make the servo buzz. My Futaba s9351 servo buzz more then the standard s3001 servo at neutral with slight input.

Tin
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

There are a million and one reasons your buggy may not start and the previous owner could have screwed up the engine with just a half tank, but let's assume the engine is fine.

If you turn the engine by hand, either by the flywheel or rotostart shaft, does it seem to have good compression or does it turn easily?
Is the clutch dragging at all?
Is your rotostart turning it in the right direction?(the flywheel should turn counter-clockwise looking at the clutchbell. Don't laugh, I've seen it happen)
Is your rotostart actually turning it? Or is it just jerking the flywheel back and forth, making it look as if it's turning.

If it has good compression, try this; disconnect the fuel and pressure lines and with the carb completely closed, fill the carb throat with fuel. In other words, from the top of the carb slide to the top of the carb throat is the volume of fuel we're talking about here. Not much at all. A quick splash is all it should take. Then open the carb and let that amount of fuel run down into the motor. Connect your plug warmer and crank it over. It should at least act like it wants to start.

Try that and let's see what happens....I gotta go pee.
helibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Tech Lord

I gotta go pee?!?! That's classic dude!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

hi, thanks for all the suggestion... turned out it was a really simple thing... the plug heater was not fully charged... i charged it over night and the buggy started right up on the first try...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
hi, thanks for all the suggestion... turned out it was a really simple thing... the plug heater was not fully charged... i charged it over night and the buggy started right up on the first try...
Nice! the greatest sound in the world is a Nitro engine starting on the first try!

Congratulations, Have fun with your new buggy
Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
I think this has happened to everyone on here at one point!
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The answer is usually the easiest solution. We have all been there. That is why I always have a rechargable one and the old standard ofna C or D cell

Have fun!!
Trinity .21
Airtronics

Last edited by RickBac; 10-14-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
RickBac is offline   Reply With Quote