R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default mugen front end

What have you all found to keep the front end of the mbx5t working smooth. I go through my truck alot, but if I go out and run for the day (5 plus tanks) at the end of the day my front end is real sqeeky and not as smooth. I think it is the pillow balls just getting dirty, but I usually run them dry so dirt should not be sticking to them. If I squirt a bit of tri flow on them then things loosen up. My packing nut adjustments are all good for the people that are going to say this is the problem. Is this just a mugen (pillow ball) mateince thing?
hobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Tech Adept

I would say run some grease on the pivot balls. You identified your own problem. Dont worry bout the dirt much, just add it to your matinence program. The good thing is the pivot balls are on the front of the car, generally the cleanest area of the car after a race weekend. Unless you drive around backwards.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

DO NOT put grease on the mugen pillow's....thats the last thing you want to do...that will cause 10X more squeeking and binding when the dirt does touch them.....ive seen first hand what greased pillow's look like.....and its not a pretty picture.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Clean the pivot balls and hubs properly. I run graphite on them, no grease. Also make sure the adjustment has a very slight amount of play, only enough so its free.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I definitly know better then to use grease on the pillow balls. What about the hinge pins, does anyone use anything on those? Also, does anyone manufacture a better upper hinge pin bushing for the front end? These end up with so much slop after a half of a gallon of use it is terrible. Its not hard to replace, but it would be nice to have something that is solid and tight for sometime.
hobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Tech Master

They sell brass bushings at all the on line stores I believe their made by advantage but dont remember.Anyway I ran mugen for a long time & the brass ones lasted 3-4 times longer & once in a while the brass bushings would last a really long time for some reason.Brass bushings do wear the pins slightly,very slightly faster but you'll bend the pin before it becomes a problem.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...?idcategory=75
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

go to carolinasrc.com and get some brass suspension bushings. they don't wear as fast as the plastic for me. i run the thunder tiger teflon coated light weight pillow balls and shoot a small amount of wd-40 on them just before the main. it usually takes that long for me for them to start to squeak. i generally keep wd on the hinge pins too. not much dirt gets in there so it won't hurt. i just hold the truck on end and squirt at the front or rear end of the hinge pin and let it soak in. hope this helps. may not be what everyone would suggest, but it works for me.
stump27 is offline   Reply With Quote