R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Spektrum, to be or not to be.

Ok, I have been debating for months now on whether to buy a spektrum pro kit for my futaba 3pk radio or just stay with 75 mhz. And just to set things straight I am no pro driver (obviously) but a descent expert level driver. My deal with going to spektrum is that I worry about the supposed 2.4 ghz is slower than 75 mhz stories. I have no doubt about the reliability of spektrum technology but is it really noticeably slower? I always run my 3pk in hrs mode with futaba digital servos and I can definitely notice the difference vs running in pcm or ppm. I just feel so much more in touch with the car in hrs. I tried the futaba 2.4 fasst system but fell victim to the shut down due to heat or what ever the problem was and dont want to mess with it again. But up until the problems occurred the 2.4 was awesome, I noticed no delay time and the peace of mind about channel conflicts was great, not to mention I liked running the shorter antenna, I have had marshals step on my antenna before and pull it out.
Well long story short can anyone that has made the swap from 75mhz to spektrum while using a 3pk share there findings? And please dont flame me too bad, just looking for an honest opinion.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to omaha_racing

I have used the spectrum system with the 3pk with NO issues at all. I asked the guys at my local Hobbytown if I would notice a difference between the 2.4 and HRS. They said not at all, and if their is any speed difference it is negligible at best. If you want the speed then go for the HRS version of spectrum.
omaha_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I've never had a problem with it.

Side note don't get all caught up with who's the fastest. There so many claim they can see .02 milli sec when blink of your eyes is some where from
.300-.500 milli sec. Theres so many Pro's still using 75 mhz FM radios still. The only reason why I went to spektrum because poeple in the pits for god unknow reason turn there radios on while racing is going on.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to omaha_racing

I have spectrum for the same exact reason as the person above.
omaha_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Tech Master

When I ran 3PK/spektrum it was the old version & it worked fine the new model made specificly for hrs is supose to be better. As far as loosing feel from the speed your question is like comparing superman to the flash at that level even the worst is really good. It would be different if you were asking about how your 3PK compared to the new $30 am model from radio shack.
I am not one of those that thinks you cant feel the difference,I have many radios & if you wanna feel fast go nomadio. I use the DX3R now & like it & am buying the DX3S as soon as it comes out but nothing felt as connected as the react,to the point of too fast.I actually detuned that one then creeped back up to standard.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Ya i remember my first day at the rc track i was blasting my slash around with MY CLIP on my antenna. Well some idiot kid hops outta the truck and starts playing with mine it takes off hits a tree i finally get to it stick my arm under the body which is causing the tires not to spin so in the end i had a burnt esc and a motor from some dumbass kid. I now have 3 rc cars and all of them have a spectrum receiver in it.
Spectrum Radio
ClayKann101 is offline   Reply With Quote