R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default The Mbx6 Build By Yours Truly!!

Well After waiting for what seemed a blinkning age this arrived at the front door ;D oh happy days!!!

Nice Box!

Take a look at the chassis work of art milled and anodized beautifully

Mugens version of the atkins diet!!!

As with most builds first thing to do is the diff gears standard format of 6 gear diffs with the rather nice lightened parts

a few mins later and violla built and numbered so i dont forget!!

The one thing i really do like about mugen kits is the fact you have to build your own driveshafts people may ask why do you like this? because if you build them and they fall apart its your own fault!!

A real neat thing i stumbled upon at this point, the roll bar links are moulded 1 piece units much better than making the things yourself! Bonus!!

Front and rear gearboxes built up nice and easy job thanks to the quality of the materials used

Cuppa time!!!

Now back to work, mugen seiki have been keen admirers of the pbs system some love it some hate it (marmite springs to mind) i have to say personaly i like it and they have made some improvements with it. Notice on the balls they have a stop point this makes it so so so much easier to get both sides equal and the only thing to worry about now is the camber angle. And on another side note check out the cvd joints and the amount of holes in them, this will help extend the parts life as when one hole becomes worn simply move onto the next one!! excellent and they also have little holes in which you can add oil to the bearing then re seal it with the grub screw very good idea if your in a rush!!

all built up with nice carbon bits!!

Front Gearbox and tower all built up, and with a super thick alloy brace! even the carbon towers are super thick Bloody Hell!!

Servo saver and driveshaft attached, and at this point i realised i had put the top arms on the wrong way round oh ******* on a brighter note you can see the cnc ackerman plate beautiful quality

After that slight embarrasment and feeling a tad annoyed the rear end was all built up, again the thick shock tower really catches your attention and not to mention another whopping ally brace!!

A nice addition to the kit the mud guards i like these and im sure they will be worth their weight in gold come the winter series and horrible weather thats hitting us !!

Check out the brake pads!! im sure these are better than the ones i had on my real car!!! if these dont slow me down nothing will

Tea Time again!!

Center diff all made with lovely brakes and carbon top plate, did i mention how nice the brakes are!!

And this is how the front end looks when built the right way slaps himself hard.

and as if by magic!! "shazam" the front rear and center are slapped onto the chassis starting to look like a buggy now....... something to note the mudgaurds actually screw into the chassis !! instead of vice versa nice idea and it works bonus!!

lovely rear cnc brace i do love the mugen bling bits!!

On to the radio tray and mugen have broken the mould here they usually have the radio box allow hump packs not anymore though stick packs seem the order of the day (damn anyone want some of my hump packs :'( ) im also pleased to say it easily accomodated my not so small spektrum reciever and my lipo regulator grand job!!!

Cue lipo stick pack for battery duties very nice this

and it fits in nice and easy which is a charm need to change the connector though why do they stick these crap connectors on....

Radio tray in place all nice and no moans here

next step was to add the fuel tank, nice and simple design i used shoe goo to add fuel line clips to the tank to keep everything neat and tidy

While leaving that to set i started to sort the engine out, with thanks to answer rc i slapped on a set of answer rc clutch shoes and used 1 x 1mm spring and 2x 1.1 springs . Not shown in the shot is the mugen engine mount sadly its not a single piece job but they are very nice none the less.

Now the shocks big bores which are always nice and threaded to very bling, i wont bore people now may be a tad late after reading all of this as the remaining parts where simply the linkage and the wing mount!!

So much better to show the finished article minus shell which needs to be sprayed, the pipe is a bit of a tight fit but shouldnt pose to much of an issue i hope.

Overall the build was excellent as is to be expected with a mugen kit i have built a few of them but this was as good if not better than the others. The parts used are fantastic including the bling parts. As mentioned previously the only downside is the pipe but im sure i can sort that with a smaller manifold i did suffer this problem on my other car maybe someone should tell sirio to use shorter manifolds!!

The Car is also a lot lighter than the old 5r which is a good step forward by mugen, i still think its a bit heavier than an 808 but im not fussed at all with a bit of weight it should handle and drive very easily so i wont complain if this proves to be true

The only thing left to do now is test drive it and that will happen next week at herts srs so until then Keep Burning Nitro!!!

Massive Thanks To The Following People

Josh and Ry from Je spares www.jespares.com
Pete from Answer Rc www.answer-rc.com
Richard From Pirate Rc www.piraterc.com

and Special mention to

Toby from rc snaps www.rcsnaps.co.uk
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

How DARE YOU PUT THAT DIRTY ENGINE ON YOUR NICE CLEAN BRAND NEW BUGGY! Lol Nice build, Mugen makes an awesome product, clean up your cooling head,. Win some races. Thanks for the pics
Old 10-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

I'm just curious, but is there any particular reason why you chose to reverse your front hinge pins?
jaylude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylude22 View Post
I'm just curious, but is there any particular reason why you chose to reverse your front hinge pins?
yep

for me i find it easier to use a chopped down allen key on the screw and a nut driver to remove the front end

instead of having to use pliers and try to hold it in the right place while you screw the screw back in

hope that makes sense
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Quote:
yep

for me i find it easier to use a chopped down allen key on the screw and a nut driver to remove the front end

instead of having to use pliers and try to hold it in the right place while you screw the screw back in

hope that makes sense
I figured it was just a preference thing but had to ask. Nice pictures and clean build. I can't wait to drive mine for the first time, but I'm enjoying the though of it being brand new and clean for the time being
jaylude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylude22 View Post
I figured it was just a preference thing but had to ask. Nice pictures and clean build. I can't wait to drive mine for the first time, but I'm enjoying the though of it being brand new and clean for the time being

LOl, I hear that! I was the same way with my new 808. After I built it, and dropped in a brand new engine, and brand new servo's and brand new pipe. I didn't want to start it! I knew it was never going to look like that again. It took me a month to get it out to the track, as I was thoroughly enjoying just looking at it shine every day, and now it just looks like every other used buggy
Old 10-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Very nice build man. The car looks sweet.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Tech Regular

proper finished now,

quickly knocked up the shell with rattle cans in the garden, my neigbours must think im nuts!!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice build!!
how long did it take you to complete it??
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Including taking pictures and painting shell around 7hrs i think, probably coulda done it faster but hey ho
Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

NICE POST!!!!!!

NICE RIDE!!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Nice post your pictures were a great help in deciding to buy an MBX6 recently

Do you have any setup information for astroturf tracks? I'm trying to find out what exactly a 1.5 piston is which some UK drivers have listed on setup sheets? Is it a drilled stock piston, an option part or something else?

Another thing I've seen is the use of red or grey springs again no idea which springs these are? Mugen use a spring rate for MBX6 springs such as 10.5 so are these older Mugen springs - I know the MBX5 had colour coded springs, white, etc - or Losi springs perhaps or something else?
paul_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Where did you buy that battery and does it really fit no probs at all? Maybe link a webshop? I know many of us out here need to find lipos that fin without using a blowtorch on the radiobox
zuperbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice build and pics, but man, how can you put dirty equipment in your new ride?lol
And also, quite the gluejob there..you should try and use those thin tubes that comes with the Losi glue. Makes a world of difference and remember with gluing tires less is more!
news1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
Tech Lord

sweet