R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy
Default Ceramic piston ?

My buddy was looking around on the web and seen an engine that has a ceramic piston . I know there are ceramic bearings but never heard of a ceramic piston . Anyone heard of this ? Any better then a normal piston ?
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
My buddy was looking around on the web and seen an engine that has a ceramic piston . I know there are ceramic bearings but never heard of a ceramic piston . Anyone heard of this ? Any better then a normal piston ?
I have never heard of ceramic pistons in Nitro RC. Real 4 stroke car engines, yes, but not in RC engines.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

It's been done. Technically it's illegal for racing. The rules state "no ceramic engine components" but that doesn't seem to include bearings. Honda even tried them in an F1 engine many years ago.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I believe Novarossi makes some for planes or boats.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Ceramic piston? I dont know about that. Ceramic coated maybe. Ceramic is a very hard and slick material but its very brittle. My guess is a ceramic piston would shatter or crack really easy. Its wear properties and its coefficient of friction make it great for coatings and bearings tho. I guess with enough R&D it could work but i wouldnt use one. Just my .02.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are many different types of ceramics!

"Ceramic" indicates a process, not a material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic
Bernowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/147007.asp
I have not tried one, but mabye it is good. This is the only offroad engine I have heard of with a ceramic piston
easyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryder View Post
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/147007.asp
I have not tried one, but mabye it is good. This is the only offroad engine I have heard of with a ceramic piston

I believe that is the engine he asked about . I`ve ran SH engines before and great for the price and for racing at a small indoor track . Not sure about this ceramic deal though .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernowt View Post
There are many different types of ceramics!

"Ceramic" indicates a process, not a material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic
Thanks for posting a link to this information. In the link i found some compelling facts that suggest to me a ceramic piston wouldnt be such a good idea in the high speed, high load environment an aluminum piston endures. I would copy and paste some of the stuff but i dont want to choke up this thread and yall can read it for yourselves.
The article indicates ceramic materials are brittle many times. Please click on the link and read PROPERTIES OF CERAMICS: Mechanical properties. That right there tells me i wouldnt want a ceramic piston. Also there is more information in the link that shows Toyota developed a complete ceramic engine that was designed to run at 6000*F. Ceramic has many desireable locomotion properties Toyota found out but again strength was the limiting factor. Ceramic also has great thermal properties like a low thermal expansion rate, but that wouldnt be too good for a piston either. Chew on this, your ceramic piston engine gets to operating temperature. The cylinder expands as it gets hot but the piston dont. This would cause a high piston to cylinder wall clearance and the piston skirt would slap the hell out of the cylinder wall and shatter into pieces because it is very brittle. And im not tryin to be a peckerhead at all but in the link there are words in big black letters that says TYPES OF CERAMIC MATERIALS. So your statement is untrue.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Hey all,
I'm not trying to be a peckerhead either but,... let's see how to put this..."ceramic materials" refers to materials used in the ceramic process. So, in a way, everybody's right!

The pistons originally mentioned are actually aluminum pistons like we're all used to, but they are coated/impregnated with a "thermal barrier" ceramic material. This process is nothing new and most of you have very likely already used products that utilize this technology without realizing it. In fact, many nitro engine manufacturers coat their pistons, they just don't use that fact as a marketing tool like SH/Golden Lion does. I'm not knocking SH here, SH is highly under rated in my opinion, and markets some of the best/most-durable engines out there.

As far as the piston expansion previously mentioned, keep in mind, we're talking about a coated aluminum piston here, not a solid casting of ceramic material. A ceramic coated aluminum piston will still expand in a similar way that an alternately coated or uncoated piston would. Cylinder wall clearances can be initially tighter with less friction, which would result in better compression, less heat and less pre-ignition/detonation (yes that's an issue in nitro engines too). It wouldn't surprise me to see manufacturers start coating combustion chambers/head buttons in the near future.

Hope this helps to answer some questions.
helibrian is offline   Reply With Quote