R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   bubbles in fuel line (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/246591-bubbles-fuel-line.html)

Joey Platinum 10-09-2008 07:04 AM

bubbles in fuel line

I have a factory team rc8 and have the newer clear tank with the nipple mod under the lid ..where you snip the nipple off ,however I am still getting some bubbles in the fuel line to the carb, what gives ?

slaytanic 10-09-2008 07:09 AM

Check your fuel filter.

jbrow1 10-09-2008 07:16 AM

Cutting the nipple off is only done to make sticking a fuel bottle spout in there easier, it has nothing to do with bubbles in the fuel line.

That said you should call ae and see if they will send you a new updated 3rd generation tank. If you have a receipt and all that they should do it for free. They may anyways.

The filter in the tank is connected to the nipple outside the tank with a short piece of fuel tubing. This fuel tubing can get a tear in it and that is what causes the bubbles, and also makes tuning your engine basically impossible.

You can take the lid off, then pull the fuel filter and tubing out from the opening. Then take a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the fuel tubing.. Drill a whole thru the top right over where the fuel filter sits. Then stuff your fuel line (has to be longer than before) thru the hole and pull it thru the opening with some needle nose or tweezers. Put the filter back on the line, and carefully pull the tubing back out from the top (pulls it into the tank) and work the filter back into position. It is tricky but can be down in about 15 minutes or less. Remove the old fuel nipple, actually you would do this first thing.. Then take a grub screw like out of the center cvd and thread it in where the nipple went. And hot glue over it. You now have a tank with no internal leaks and it didn't cost anything but time.

You should pull the grub screws out of both the front and rear center cvd's anyhow. Then put a dab of super glue over the ends of the retainer ring so it does not move. The grub screws loosen up and cause major binding in the drivetrain.

Zerodefect 10-09-2008 09:15 AM

Email Don at Ae that you have a bad tank. [email protected]. Just put your address and phone # in and he'll take care of you. You might have to send proof of purchase though.

In the meantime, order another tank so that you have a spare.

Make sure your fuel lines don't have a suction leak at the tank fitting. The bend around the carb on the line can make some brands of fuel line leak. I even put a small zip tie on the line once to fix it.

I might try to remove the guts and baffles from one of my tanks and make a clunk style tank. I'll probally run the fuel line straight through the side of the tank. If the holes small it might seal ok.

Once everything is set right I don't get any bubbles in my lines. Some weird things I do:

Replace the fuel line often.

Keep pressure line short. Don't make the fuel line too long. ( I don't know why, but this worked for me.)

Keep the fuel line off the brake linkage.

Check the o-ring on the tank lid.

Mask the windows before you paint........that jinxed ya right there!

Green's the fastest.

Fear 10-09-2008 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 4920844)
Mask the windows before you paint........that jinxed ya right there!

If I had a dollar for every time..... :lol:

petevette 10-09-2008 07:05 PM

Send the tank in question to Don and he will replace it.